www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 27th, 2006, 12:45   #46
BerKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerKath
- a replacement left side turn signal stalk

As far as I know this should be the one with part number : 8L0 953 513 S and not the 8L0 953 513 H.

"S" is for cars with MF steering wheels and "H and G" for cars without (normal cars).
I now got my "S" signal stalk and it has a slide button for completely turning off the cruise control when not wanted in use (leaving the buttons on the steering wheel dead). On the steering wheel we have "Res +" who, when hit first after the "Cancel" button, activates cruise control and resets the presvious speed from memory. It increasess speed step by step when pushed after that. We also have "Set -" who activates and memorieses the speed wanted (actual speed at the moment). It decreases the speed step by step when pushed after that. At last we have the "Cancel" button wich turns of the cruise control temporarily when wanted.
BerKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:06   #47
BerKath

I now need som help from Lito ! Please...

I now got all the part that I need. I asume ! In this case I have some question for you.

1. I got control module 451. I know there is one called 452. What is the difference between them.
2. I had full cruise control on signal stalk from before. Does it make it easier regarding wiring from signal stalk to the new control module ?
3. My car model use 3LB instead of Can (I am using CAN on my tmc module. It works!). It is also known that these cars was delivered with mf steering wheels already in 2000. I then asume that these wheels then use 3LB insted of the CAN bus. Where do I so find this signal type (3LB wire) in the mf steering wheel system? Could it possible function right a way ?

I now got this stuff:

1. VW 2000 Bora Variant (Jetta Wagon) 1,9TDI 4motion
2. Mf steering wheel (cruise,radio) "1J0 419 091 AH E74" made week 22 in 2000
3. Airbag "1J0 880 201 K"
4. Control mudule 451 "1J0 907 487 A" (Softw.5 - Hardw.3)
5. Canceling ring (clock spring) "1J0 959 653 C" for mf steering wheel
6. Signal stalk with on/off for cruisecontrol "8L0 953 513 S"

Is it now for me just to start the project ?

Last edited by BerKath; March 1st, 2006 at 04:35.
Old March 1st, 2006, 17:16   #48
tongsli
Veteran Member

I think you're gonna need 452, try 451 but ETKA says 452. If I get a chance to look, I'll see what module I have in my car
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 18:52   #49
navyboy65
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Seems to be 46-47 AVG

I am going to try to get the stuff needed to do this to my 03! Anyone got pics of the wiring I'll need. If you do please e-mail them to navyboy65@mlode.com. Also if I can get some updated part #'s for the airbag MF, steering wheel MF, turn signal stock MF, 5 pin canceling ring, 452 module for 03 Jetta???!! So I can try and hunt down some used parts!!!
Thanks, Seth

Last edited by navyboy65; March 7th, 2006 at 00:35.
navyboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 18:13   #50
navyboy65
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Seems to be 46-47 AVG
Default Part #'s

Anyone!
I need part #'s for
connector T18c
repair wires for the following connectors:
T18c
T20
T5b
T10s
basicaly the wires and connectors I need to do the upgrade
Module #452 part #(Just found elsewhere on the site 1J0907487B or superceded to 1J0907487D)
and Maybe air bag???
Thanks, Seth

Last edited by navyboy65; April 5th, 2006 at 00:30.
navyboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 15:01   #51
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
Default awesome thread

Great info, thanks tongsli! I'm thinking about doing this as well. One question I have is about the balance weight. The Bentley says that on TDI models, the MF wheel is installed with a Balance Weight to 'prevent transmission of vibrations from the engine.'

How important is this balance weight?

Can it be transferred from the standard steering wheel?

Thanks,

A~
astonishedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 14:39   #52
mangohaggis
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonishedboy
One question I have is about the balance weight. The Bentley says that on TDI models, the MF wheel is installed with a Balance Weight to 'prevent transmission of vibrations from the engine.'

How important is this balance weight?

Can it be transferred from the standard steering wheel?

Thanks,

A~
I was also concerned about vibration when I did my MF wheel installation - I sourced my wheel from a non-TDI Jetta and it does not have the weight. I haven't noticed any vibration being transferred from the steering column thus far... I just hope it stays that way.
mangohaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:39   #53
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Default ready to go...

I've got (almost) all the parts for this upgrade ready to go. I bought the steering wheel and airbag together
What does the tear shaped button on the side of the wheel do? is is right behind the cruise control buttons. see this picture.

Last edited by astonishedboy; May 16th, 2006 at 10:52.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:04   #54
waldo22
Veteran Member

Difference between 451 and 452:

451 = 1j0 907 487A
452 = 1j0 907 487B or D (new one)

Difference is wiring. 451 is for 2002+ cars and uses CAN for the Cruise and steering. It doesn’t have the REM wire from the green connector on the radio, and it doesn’t need the S-cont (switched 12V power) or the ILLUM wire. It has the two twisted orange/brown wires for CAN though.

Here is a pic of the 451 wiring. Notice the twisted pair of orange/brown wires on pins 1 and 3. These are for CAN. Also notice that there are no wires in pins 5, 12, or 15. In order for 452 to work you need those wires.

(Thanks to GTi_1.8Turbo for the pic)

452 is for 1999.5 – 2001 cars and uses the REM wire at pin 5, switched 12V at pin 12, and Illumination wire at pin 15 of its connector You can probably make the 452 work, but you’ll have to add these three wires in addition to all the other wires.

As it happens, I have an extra 451 I picked up at a local junkyard recently. This guy kleinersforeigncar@gmail.com also has one. Let me know if anyone needs one.

Also, this is a great thread with pictures showing the relays

http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/...nction+version

Wes
waldo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 13:41   #55
Hoodie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Quote:
I've got (almost) all the parts for this upgrade ready to go. I bought the steering wheel and airbag together
What does the tear shaped button on the side of the wheel do? is is right behind the cruise control buttons. see this picture.

It allows you to disable the pretty lights on the controls.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:13   #56
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Quote:

5. Canceling ring (clock spring) "1J0 959 653 C" for mf steering wheel
I've got a cancelling ring with part no. '1J0 959 653 B' date is Jan. 10 01.
Was told this is from a MF wheel. Will this work?

I will try to write a pdf how to for this...
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:16   #57
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
- a replacement left side turn signal stalk

As far as I know this should be the one with part number : 8L0 953 513 S and not the 8L0 953 513 H.

"S" is for cars with MF steering wheels and "H" for cars without (normal cars).
I just picked up turn signal stalk with Part no. 8L0 953 513 M
I was told this was from a Multifunction Wheel, but it does not have a slide control for cruise func. on/off. Will this work?
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:55   #58
BerKath

Quote:
I was told this was from a Multifunction Wheel, but it does not have a slide control for cruise func. on/off. Will this work?
Just checked with ETKA. This is a normal signal stalk without cruise function. You have most likely been fooled.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:30   #59
BerKath

Is it possible to use remote radio functions through CAN (module 451) with a MFD version D ? Is the MFD version D programmed to handle this kind of signals for remote operations ?

Do the 451 and 452 module also controls cruise functions ? Or is it only the radio functions it controls ?

People said earlier that I could not use an TMC module through the CAN gateway with my MFD version D. I did this without problems at all.

I suspect that the 3LB wiring can be used for MFD version A, B and C. The MFD version D is compatible with both 3LB and CAN. Is this right ?

There is something strange with 451 module (CAN) being newer than 452 module (3LB). logicaly it should be the other way around. I asume 3LB was "invented" before CAN was. :-)

There is much more to learn about this stuff. Thats for shure! And I dont feel anybody in here have the complete aknowledge on the subject. But some day we will understand it together. 8)
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:37   #60
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
I took it back to the salvage yard, and got the switch with cruise on-off, part no. ... 953 513 T