www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 9th, 2009, 16:23   #1
dave729

Default Does 2009 ESC activation disengage the cruise control?

I don't mean simply turning on the ESC switch -- what I am asking is that if you are driving with the cruise control on, you hit a slick spot and ESC does its thing, does the ESC automatically disengage the cruise control?
dave729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:39   #2
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Activation of ESP (stability control) will disengage the cruise control. However, I don't believe that activation of ASR (traction control) will disengage it. I seem to recall playing with the cruise control in snowy/icy conditions just to see what would happen and recall the ASR light flashing and the cruise control remaining on.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:20   #3
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

I'd say that you should re-think using cruise if you feel the conditions are going to cause ESC or ASR activation.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 19:38   #4
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Playing being the operative word in my statement; i.e., not on a road with other cars, etc.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 23:44   #5
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Precisely.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 16:41   #6
dave729

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM
I'd say that you should re-think using cruise if you feel the conditions are going to cause ESC or ASR activation.
If the car's computer's detect an anomoly, it will react much, much faster than I would be able to in letting off the gas. Enough to make me wonder if in steady state rain driving at rural freeway speeds (which account for 75% of the 12k miles on my JSW since I bought it 6 months ago) I am indeed safer with cruise and stabilty control. Has anyone seen any research on cruise with stability control in wet conditions?
dave729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:48   #7
abarns
Veteran Member

I disagree, you're not giving yourself enough credit. The computer might be able to react quicker in a sudden event, but in the example you give I'd say you'd be more likely to detect an impending problem if you were running the go pedal yourself. I'll use cruise in light rain but any time it gets heavy I turn it off- the last thing I want is the computer thinking it needs to run wide open because its speed is falling off, when the reason the speed is falling off is because of hydroplaning. Additionally, there are a lot of low-traction situations where you might not want the engine to suddenly go into full overrun (aka cruse shutting off, 0 fuel requested and engine starts acting as a brake)... Just my .02.

2006 Jetta TDI, DSG, Pkg 1, DG Skidplate.
abarns is offline   Reply With Quote