www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2006

TDIFest 2006 Discussion about TDIFest 2006.

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:29   #76
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I've lead, coordinated, and managed many meetings in hotels in my prior life as a training consultant. They are always difficult, things always go wrong, and people always complain. All you can do is to try to be prepared for issues that you think will come up, and be present and prepared to deal with the ones that surprise you. Preparation isn't too tough because you've got time. But managing the event is very, very hard work. I salute everyone that has done this in the past, I've been there.

I've attended the last three Fests and they've all been different. I have my preferences, but they may not be shared by the larger community. And any one of the last three was good enough to keep me coming back (obviously). I have few doubts that this year's will be a good one two, regardless of who does the work and where it's held.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:55   #77
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business #

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!
Default Back on topic?

Right then. All criticisms aside, who is down for he 07 Fest? I'm certain there are some plans in the works. Who's in? Also, for future Fests, it would b an excellent idea to return to the original iea of a Fest in theach of the time zones consecutively. HOWEVER, this depends soley on volunteerism. If nobody volunteers to set up and organize a Fest, it just wont happen.

I for one would love to go to a West coast Fest, or a Southern one, Midwest would be nice as well, WI was as close as I got personally. If we truly have 15,000 active members, this should be more than doable. While I have not set up events of the magnitude of IBW, I used to set up several from 100-2000 persons, complete with fundrasing prior and during, bands, awards, etc. I ususally had a team of 4-5 people an we got it done splendidly......for no money. Did I mention I was a teenager at the time? And had no coaching?

The 07 Fest deadline sadly is over.Lets talk about potential plans for 08. This way, those who have far to travel can start making arrangements early. And to this years contestants.....good luck!

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:19   #78
uberdiesel
Veteran Member

When will the 2007 TDI Fest be announced?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:59   #79
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf
...I should have an announcement to make in regards to TDIFest 2007 in the coming days.
Fred
Stay tuned...
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:31   #80
uberdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
Stay tuned...
Will do. I could not make '05 0r '06. I'll try for '07...
Old November 3rd, 2006, 15:02   #81
FredIA
Veteran Member

You guys really are making me feel bad about missing Lake Mills. I was reading the board then, contemplating buying a VW diesel then, and wanted to go. I was finishing up a masters and I had midterms just before that so I didn't go (Was exhausted). (I didn't have the car yet, so I didn't register on the board but I was lurking hard at the time.)

It basically was in my backyard, too..

Are you guys cool with fly-in's to the events if they are far away? I don't have time to drive 2K round trip (unless I made a vacation of it.. not likely), but would certainly fly.. I'd accept a certain amount of teasing for the rental car, too..

Just wondering. I am anxious to make it to a GTG or fest... sounds like a lot of fun.

Fred
Old November 3rd, 2006, 15:56   #82
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredIA
You guys really are making me feel bad about missing Lake Mills. I was reading the board then, contemplating buying a VW diesel then, and wanted to go. I was finishing up a masters and I had midterms just before that so I didn't go (Was exhausted). (I didn't have the car yet, so I didn't register on the board but I was lurking hard at the time.)

It basically was in my backyard, too..

Are you guys cool with fly-in's to the events if they are far away? I don't have time to drive 2K round trip (unless I made a vacation of it.. not likely), but would certainly fly.. I'd accept a certain amount of teasing for the rental car, too..

Just wondering. I am anxious to make it to a GTG or fest... sounds like a lot of fun.

Fred
Fred flew in from Vancouver in 2006 after driving in 2005. I drove both years, and in 2006, I think I was the only one who drove from Minnesota. There were a few that drove from farther west than me - there was one couple from British Columbia, there was Ernie Rogers - did I miss anyone? Were we the only ones who drove more than a thousand miles one way?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 17:09   #83
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

FredIA, there is no requirement to own any car, let alone a VW TDI to attend a local GTG or a national fest. Any enthusiast is always welcome.

Derf himself put up his first TDI page in 1995, and didn't buy a TDI until 2003.

Fly-ins are always welcome. For some people with a time limit it's the only way to make it. I flew to the first fest in Wilmington SC.

Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT
Kathy, 2014 Passat SE 2.5
Chris, 2015 Passat SEL TDI

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
Old November 3rd, 2006, 20:38   #84
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrob
Were we the only ones who drove more than a thousand miles one way?
Nope....I think there were 3-4 cars from the Sunshine State....a 2-day drive each way.....
Old November 3rd, 2006, 21:52   #85
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB TDI FRED
Nope....I think there were 3-4 cars from the Sunshine State....a 2-day drive each way.....
How long it took is irrelevant. Didn't Ernie drive 52 MPH somewhere cross-country recently and got 79+ MPG? The normal person would have drove 75-85 and cut at least one day off the drive.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 22:45   #86
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
The normal person would have drove 75-85 and cut at least one day off the drive.
Considering that the speed limit in most areas of I-95 is 65mph, driving "75-85" dosen't seem too "normal" to me....
Old November 3rd, 2006, 22:49   #87
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Considering that the speed limit in most areas of I-95 is 65mph, driving "75-85" dosen't seem too "normal" to me....
From all that I have heard, You are right. "Normal" is actually 85-90.

What you mean is that 75-85 does not seem "legal".

The posted speed limit and the actual typical speed will always be very different.
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:49   #88
meganuke
TDIClub Contributor
Vendor

If you fly in to the fest, I wouldn't bother with a rental car. You can usually prearrange a ride from the airport and if you want to go off-site, pick any one of your 200+ new friends and ask for a ride. Chances are, you'll find someone going to the same place.
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:16   #89
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
From all that I have heard, You are right. "Normal" is actually 85-90.

What you mean is that 75-85 does not seem "legal".

The posted speed limit and the actual typical speed will always be very different.
The subject of your sentence was the "person" not the speed limit. So, I was responding to the person's driving behavior; not the legality of the speed. I do agree, however, that in most circumstances, the act of the person is neither "normal" nor "legal" at "75-85".

Perhaps a caveat to my statement is except when driving on I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. There, the speed limit is "80", but some may argue that even then, the "act" is still stupid.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:51   #90
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Jacksonville is about 850 miles from KoP.
Closed Thread