1979 Scirocco GTD

Vladislav

TDI
97 Passat TDI, 86 Jetta DI
Hello All, new to this forum.
I want to turn my 79 Scirocco into a Diesel. First time doing this sort of swap, so bare with me.

Current car situation:
1979 5 speed 1.7 liter
Aftermarket sunroof
Koni adjustable struts with HR springs front to back
Front 16V Scirocco brake calipers and rotors
Front to back strut braces
E30 headlight conversion, relayed
Corrodo seats, Scirocco 2 seat-belts

I picked up a 96 Passat TDI 5 speed donor car, was front ended pretty badly.
1.9 TDI 1Z 116,000
5 speed
rebuilt pump
chipped computer - Wetterauer 271.nl Map/250 kpa vacuum sensor
Powershot 10000 Propane injection system

So I plan on putting the 1Z TDI into my 79. I already ordered the engine mount kit. Found a complete mount kit in Germany, all three mounts, for $200 shipped. http://www.epytec.de/modelle/vw/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/motor-und-getriebehalter/1391/vw-seilzug-getriebehalter-motorhalter-golf-1-caddy-scirocco-1-und-2-16v-g60-1-9-tdi?c=1515
Also any suggestions are welcome.
Here it is

Also it gets boring cleaning the garage. So decided to redo the door sill Scirocco badges. So I started on that.

Stay tuned!

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Where in nor cal are you, love the project. My son and I both bought a set of those mounts, haven't used them yet. I made the mounts for my first swaps.
Do your self a favor and do and do a full ce2 swap. It'll make life easier.

Vladislav

TDI
Im located in Sacramento.

Haven't had the time to try them? I actually got these mounts because of a recommendation you made on another build haha. Not to mention you cant argue with all 3 mounts for 200 shipped. WRD only supplies the trans mounts and wants 300.

Which car would you recommend I pull the CE2 harness out of? Is it a difficult part to pull if I were to go to a junkyard?

Trying to get the car ready by Aug 24th. So I am as you say trying to learn to run before I learn to walk

Vladislav

TDI
Just hit me, the Passat is CE2... That being realized, what harness do I need to pull? I read, that if done right, no splicing will be required. How do I go about this haha?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
On mk1's U can use the entire harness under the hood. There will be some tailoring.
On the b4 unlike the mk3, the engine and lighting are two separate harness. you will need another hole in the firewall for one. If you use the ce2 system, you will have to splice in the rear harness, heater, radio..... but everything under the hood can be almost pnp.
Sorry, no I haven't used them yet. The swap I am using them on keeps changing directions and is not my only project. And then there is that list my wife.......

Vladislav

TDI
Thanks for the reply!

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

For a full CE2 swap, I need the fallowing:
Passat Engine harness
Passat fuse box
Passat TDI Cluster
Passat dash harness

Tell me if I'm missing anything. I'm already gathering supplies for trimming down the dash harness, and the splicing.

Also considering the 02A to 02J swap. Waiting on a price quote for the parts right now. If it falls under $200 for the set up, I'll be installing that.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
For the most part, take all of the wiring you have time to get. You can throw out what you don't need/use later. Make sure you get the switches and pot off the pedals. Might as well take the pedal cluster, guys with mk2's love em'. Rear disc-grab them. They are 6 bolt spindles but they work on mk1. Keep the front rotors and calipers. the carriers won't do you any good though.

Don't see any advantage to 02j in a mk1. Lower final, higher revs. less milage. 3:38 VS 3:15

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Going to be a awesome swap! I have a 96 passat also. Will be interesting.

Vladislav

TDI
For the most part, take all of the wiring you have time to get. You can throw out what you don't need/use later. Make sure you get the switches and pot off the pedals. Might as well take the pedal cluster, guys with mk2's love em'. Rear disc-grab them. They are 6 bolt spindles but they work on mk1. Keep the front rotors and calipers. the carriers won't do you any good though.

Don't see any advantage to 02j in a mk1. Lower final, higher revs. less milage. 3:38 VS 3:15
Sorry I wasn't very specific. I was referring to the 02A and 02J shift mechanisms.

Vladislav

TDI
So got the engine home today!

It came out of a Passat that got front ended. You can see the damage in some of the photographs.

Vladislav

TDI
Going to put the engine on a stand. Ill have to give the engine another Purple bath, along with the transmission.

So currently I'm looking for the fallowing starter and oil cooler housing. Are these diesel specific like the MK1? Or can I use a gas one?

Vladislav

TDI
Time for an update!

I went forward and pulled out the old heart, this is how we currently look

I also started to asses the condition of the new heart. Pulled the valve cover to discover worn out cam lobes. Also drained the oil, didn't like how dirty it looked. So long story short I pulled the engine apart down to block and crank.

This is where I left off

Vladislav

TDI
Alright, now here come the questions!

Since I have the engine completely apart, is there anything I should look into replacing/upgrading? I also read stock 1Z pistons are crap. Why is that, what is a good alternative?

Oh, also since I have to replace the camshaft. What should I go with, stock, is there a euro cam?

Vladislav

TDI
Lets see, cleaned up the engine bay. Took purple power and a power washer to it. Came out pretty clean, really surprised as to how well the paint looks!
Cleaning the engine currently, since its all apart, I'd like to paint it. Found a few colors I like. Would like some input on the selection.

Vladislav

TDI
Started cleaning the pistons, using a Chem-dip/Ultrasonic cleaner method.

The engine after a quick washing!

Once the pistons and rods are clean, they're getting balanced =)

Vwscream

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado 1Z, 97 1Z Passat, 85 Golf NA
Pistons staring in 98 have different ring lands and construction overall makes them stronger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the engine. Code is ALH for those updated pistons. Looks like you have a 96 1z which can even have the very early design pistons. Looks as the IP is later style as well.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Your ultrasonic cleaner looks like a deep fryer... How'd it work? I wasn't too impressed with Chem Dip, after reading all of the rave reviews. I ordered out of state to make sure I got the non EPA regulated stuff.

Early VW diesel blocks were freeman. Maybe keep the theme since its going into an early VW?

-Todd

Vladislav

TDI
Pistons staring in 98 have different ring lands and construction overall makes them stronger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the engine. Code is ALH for those updated pistons. Looks like you have a 96 1z which can even have the very early design pistons. Looks as the IP is later style as well.
I guess the real question is, are the 1Z pistons known for common failure? When do they start to fail, under what circumstances/conditions? How and where are they known to fail?
haha sorry for all the questions. Might need to start a thread on it:D.
Your ultrasonic cleaner looks like a deep fryer... How'd it work? I wasn't too impressed with Chem Dip, after reading all of the rave reviews. I ordered out of state to make sure I got the non EPA regulated stuff.
Early VW diesel blocks were freeman. Maybe keep the theme since its going into an early VW?
-Todd
hahaha is is kind of like a deep fryer. It uses 2 sonic drivers to generate a ultra high frequency, which causes cavitation in the water/solution. When these cavitation bubbles explode they produce temperatures and pressures on the order of 5,000 K and 20,000 lbs per square inch. Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning = Aka highly effective cleaning solution:D
I'm not at all impressed with the Chem Dip, its actually useless. All it was good for is removing a bit of oil. Going to throw them into the SC later today.
What do you mean by Freeman? Its going into a 1979 Scirocco:cool:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stupid iPad autocomplete... Freeman was supposed to be "green".

Ah... I thought you were using the Chem Dip in the SC.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That Austin Healey green looks black. Hmmm... maybe when I drop my AHU into my Rabbit truck, I'll do a green block.

I'm interested in seeing a before and after with the SCed parts.

-Todd

Vladislav

TDI
Deciding on the color is a pain, as everything else would have to correspond.

Working on SC the parts as we speak =D

Vwscream

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado 1Z, 97 1Z Passat, 85 Golf NA
I have heard that pistons can handle stage 3 tunning chip and injectors but you would need to keep an eye on EGT when pushing the engine. I will be testing this soon in my Corrado 1Z with 96 engine.

Ultrasonic cleaners are great. I use a smaller version for few items when needing cleaning.