My new CCV system...Version 3.0

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Just had a though. Can any one think of a way to make this a maintenance free thing and have the oil return to the crankcase ( other than punching a hole in the pan :eek: )

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
only issue I've had with my set up is that the vapours still make it out the filter, may put some stainless scrub pad in there to see if that helps.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Inlet and outlet hoses seem to be the same color, s oya, throw a scrubber pad in there. Works for me !!

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
I am putting scrubber in my can. I am going to use copper as it was all there was at the store when I went. My can is just an empty can with a tube that will show the level of oil within the can. Nice little touch. I am hoping that the scrubbers will allow all the oil to drip down to the bottom. I am going to install a drain in the bottom before I install it. It will be done by thursday and I will post some pics of the original can and the mods I will do to it to make it work. Then we shall test it.

Just had a though. Can any one think of a way to make this a maintenance free thing and have the oil return to the crankcase
I don't think this would be a good idea as these from what others have said are also collecting condensation and you surly don't want that in your crank case.

gottdi :D

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
From what I know the blowby from the cylinders its whats coming out of the ccv and into the intake. It is already a low flow and what we want is to remove the oil mist from this blowby before its sucked into the intake where it mixes with the carbon from the egr. The dry carbon mixed with the oily mist is what sticks to the egr, intake and builds up and cloggs up. There is also water vapor and if allowed to condense and then put back into the crank case will contaminate the oil. Sure, the oil gets contaminated but why add to it.

all of the air vacuumed by the vacuum pump from the solenoids/booster and any leaks goes into the valve cover and then the crankcase.
I might be dumb here but I don't see (anywhere) any input into the valve cover. Ok! I see that the vaccum gets routed back to the crankcase :eek:. Only out and thats the ccv. We want it out. A catch can or filter to catch the oil mist to help slow down the crud build up in the egr and intake.

I will then assume that if the vaccum gets routed back to the crankcase then any water vapor should evaporate (after the car is heated up) and go out the ccv then into the intake to be run through the system. Odd indeed.

gottdi :D

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Wingnut
How has ver3.0 worked so far, free flow all winter?
Thinking of going to PA for the parts tomorrow, just want to hear its working.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
BigAndy said:
This also seems to be a very good solution to my dad's 1979 Rabbit that has a mind of its own when it gets to 68mph! Although I know his problem is very likely blowby gases taking oil with it from the valve cover into the intake, this will buy him some time before having to re-ring it.
There was an official fix for this!!! It could be rather dangerous if the engine starts running away... I had a VW dealer fix it under "goodwill" on my 1980 Diesel Rabbit... they replaced the housing that comes out of the crankcase...

Get something done... soon...

Yuri.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
ymz said:
It could be rather dangerous if the engine starts running away...
Very very dangerous! My '79 use to "run away" going up hill. Had to try to hold her back with the brakes. The oil would build up and dump into the intake when going up a incline. She would take off like a jet and just pour black smoke out the exhaust. Would not shut off with the key, just keep on running until that heavy oil was burned. Finally one day she blew. Couldn't get the local dealer to do the goodwill fix. Think in '81 or '82 they claimed to have solved the blow-by problem.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
How is this going. I have been thinking about doing something like this..
I had a similar set-up on my 20v. But I used a Water seperator from a compressor.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Just installed the wingnut version 3.0 CCV filter evrything was in stock at Princess auto parts about $50can for the parts 1/2 hour later done.
Thanks Wingnut.
I'll report back in a few months.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Oooo, I don't have a princess auto parts down where I live, but I'd love to do this. If I can't find the parts locally, can someone ship them to me?

Also, instead of using steel mesh (I'm visualizing the steel scrubbers I use on pots) what about using stainless wool? That oughta have a higher surface area.

Edit: hmmm, ah, I see that I can order from princess auto online. They ship to the US I imagine?

What do you do with the filters when they fill with oil? Do you wash them, empty them, or replace them? Would it be possible to punch a hole in the bottom and plug it to use as a water/oil drain?

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
i've been running my 3.0 set up for a few months with no issues and couple minor changes with scrubber pads but other than that been an awesome set up thanks wingnut once again for a great suggestion

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that I thought about it a bit, why bother connecting the filter to the air intake? Why not just plug the intake and let the gasses from the filter escape to the environment? The whole point of the CCV is to release the pressure and prevent the oil mist from being expelled to the environment. Well, if we filter it then its ok to have the system open, right?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
The point of the CCV is to keep oil mist *and* blowby from escaping, since blowby is basically untreated exhaust.

Technically a filtered/open CCV is not okay (by EPA regs), but what the individual considers "okay" may vary. :)

Also the CCV gasses smell bad coming from under the hood.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
rperks, after a bit of research I came to the conclusion that all we need is a stainless mesh, like a 50 mesh water strainer (12-17 dollars at a tractor store or ebay). The 50 mesh water strainers I bought were $12 on ebay and hve 3/4" NPT openings (perfect), and come apart so that I can stuff a stainless steel scrubbie into them / empty them. Try that, it'll work just as well and will be cheaper.

flyingcat

TDI
Jetta GLS Auto. 2002
I know I am a newbie so I am asking a stupid question.........Where are you putting the scrubber pads?? Possibly in the old CCV??

Many thanks for your patience!

Joe

2002 TDI GLS Auto

Last edited:

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
Now that I thought about it a bit, why bother connecting the filter to the air intake? Why not just plug the intake and let the gasses from the filter escape to the environment? The whole point of the CCV is to release the pressure and prevent the oil mist from being expelled to the environment. Well, if we filter it then its ok to have the system open, right?
Elephant nose - and I'm not refering to a part of your anatomy. Do a search and you will find out what I am talking about.

TDI_YWG

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI, '03 Golf GL TDI, '01 T4 California Exclusive, '00 T4 Multivan "Atlantis"
Are there any people out there from south of the 49th who want to try this system out but cannot find the parts? I would be willing to go to Princess Auto and pick the stuff up and send it to you. PM me if interested. If I get enough response then I might put a post up in the group buy section.

Scott

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Update:

I gave up on V 3.0. It was bulky and because it attached to the rad support, the engine movement made it hard to keep the hoses on. They would pull off from time to time since the engine moved, but the filter housing didn't. I ended up with a big oily mess under my hood. I could have lengthened the hoses, but after seeing Kayakkermits system, I decided to go ahead & change.

Here is his setup:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/11189Installing_the_KCTDI.pdf

It is simple, cheap, and effective. No need to change filters, just empty the strainer once a month or so.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
As far as I know, I may have the second copy of the KCTDI-CCV. Mine has been in place for over 3yrs. I have not been tempted to try anything else. It is simple, cheap, effective, and virtually no maintainance or issues. It's a no brianer as far as I am concerned. Thanks to KCTDI for the original idea and to Kayakkermit for replicating them.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
truman said:
As far as I know, I may have the second copy of the KCTDI-CCV. Mine has been in place for over 3yrs. I have not been tempted to try anything else. It is simple, cheap, effective, and virtually no maintainance or issues. It's a no brianer as far as I am concerned. Thanks to KCTDI for the original idea and to Kayakkermit for replicating them.
Agreed !!