sports suspension for jetta wagon - different from sedan?

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
Would the sports suspension from a jetta sedan (or golf) fit a jetta wagon?

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, thanks First D. So, if I wanted a fairly inexpensive suspension upgrade (including lowering a bit, since the '03s look jacked up), I figure I could then buy a used sport or WE suspension, and a set of wagon lowering springs? (so I could use everything except the springs from the sport suspension, and lowering springs intended for a wagon)

Curious - since the wagon springs are normally longer (I assume because the rear of the wagon is heavier), and I put on sedan springs, it would then be riding lower.... hmmm....

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
My current plans (which tend to change daily) are to ditch the steel 15"s, get 205/55-16's on a set of Ronal LV's, and replace the stock shocks/struts with Koni's on 'full soft'.

I've thought long and hard about spring upgrades, but the VW 'sport' springs are only 7% stiffer. That's basically a non-event as the tolerance on the springs from the factory is likely +/- 5%, maybe 10% on rate. That leaves aftermarket.

SO, it was then to the Shine or Neuspeed Sofsports. Both are a lot stiffer than stock, and The Sofsports lower almost an inch (which I don't want). Our roads are pretty lousy, and I think a Shine package would beat me to death.

Therefore I figure the Koni's will take the float and dive out and firm up the ride a bit, and the 16's will give a bit more crispness to the steering. Should make a nice combo for highway cruising and a bit of backroad burning.

Chris

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chris, interesting thoughts. I do want to lower mine some whenever I get it, since it appears that newer jettas (I don't know if it's just '03s, or if it started in '02) seem to be riding a good deal higher. I saw somewhat of a confirmation of this on the board here a while ago. Do you know how much the koni setup is going to cost you? What about a rear anti-sway bar?

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I agree that the wagons seem to ride a bit high, especially in the back. But, one look under the front end and any thoughts of 'high' go right out the window. There's not much clearance there.

The Koni setup will run about $450 to $500, if I remember - a bit more than a set of Bilsteins. But, the Konis are adjustable, and on full soft (the way they are from the factory) they will be a bit softer than the Bilstein HD's, and match better with the stock springs (IMHO). I can then always crank them up if I want more damping or go to stiffer springs (or they wear a bit).

So, that's my ideas, for what they are worth. All I know is the stock dampers have to go. They are useless (I wonder what they use, old pilsener beer as damping fluid - it's about that ineffective?)

Chris

Originally posted by nh mike:
Chris, interesting thoughts. I do want to lower mine some whenever I get it, since it appears that newer jettas (I don't know if it's just '03s, or if it started in '02) seem to be riding a good deal higher. I saw somewhat of a confirmation of this on the board here a while ago. Do you know how much the koni setup is going to cost you? What about a rear anti-sway bar?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Sweet lookin' ride. But, I can only imagine myself high-centered on the enormous piles of snow that get plowed in front of our driveway in the winter.

Chris

Originally posted by Fuknmuvn:
i installed RPI's (www.rpiequipped.com)suspension kit on my '03 jetta wagon and its pretty smooth. 1.75" lower and not very harsh - the car feels very solid. They used the sedan rear springs and i think it works fine.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fuknmuvn, Like I mentioned in your thread under the photos section, that does look really sweet. Because of snow in New Hampshire, I think I'd like to end up about 1/2 inch higher than yours (so lower it about 1.25" from stock). And I'd definitely want to put on the steel skid plate. I wonder if I should go ahead and order one through the dealer (even though my jetta wagon is still on order). Hmmm....

Anyone know any springs that would lower it about 1-1.5 inches? Or, are there some spacers I could use with the RPI Equipped setup to just raise it a little bit?

diesel duo

Mike,

I am also looking to lower my wagon once it arrives. I don't have to worry about snow here in Tennessee, but I'm looking for a set up similar to yours since I also don't appreciate the all wheel drive look of the stock Jetta. Here's what I've found so far.

Eibach has a Pro Kit springs part # 8577.140
lowers both front and rear 1.3 inches
specifies for 4 cyl, but not which one. I can only assume it is for all the 4 Cyl engines

H&R has a Stage 2 (sport) kit part #294399-1
lowers front 1.5 inches and rear 1.4
Notes: when lowering more than 1.4 inches in front must use front sway bar 900.525.01 to accomodate drive shaft clearance.
MSRP; spring only, $269.00

B&G sport suspension has springs part #96.1.145
lowers front and rear 1.6 inches
www.shox.com sells for $249

Right now I'm leaning toward the Eibachs and getting Bilstein shocks and struts.

Anyone know of a site to get a good price on spings and shocks? I like to compare prices.

Ron

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel Duo, looks like we're in the same boat.

Eibach has a Pro Kit springs part # 8577.140
lowers both front and rear 1.3 inches
specifies for 4 cyl, but not which one. I can only assume it is for all the 4 Cyl engines
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd guess that they mean the 2.0 L or 1.8T 4-cyl gas engines, just because they are so much more common. The TDI engine is heavier, so should need slightly stronger springs (I think) than the 2.0. Do they specify ones for the VR6? I think that its weight is closer to that of the TDI, so springs for it should be better for our cars. What prices have you found for those?

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Shine lite??? Is this the one with the longer rear springs?? Or is it a lighter spring rate than their standard setup?

I do think the Konis would take the bite out of a Shine spring setup...

Chris

Originally posted by Oldman:
Chris, shine lite with koni would be optimal IMO.

Oldman

Top Post Dawg
shine lite about 20% softer than regular shine setup. Koni is the way to go IMO. Do a search on shine lite, I'll look for my info too I think it was stock height 220 lbs front 150 lbs rear.

eidie2

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
Oldman,

I am interested in your recommendation. I have been looking at your old posts on suspensions and was pretty impressed.

A couple questions

I don't see a Shine light on their website, where do you find that?

Why the Konis? Is it just b/c they will be softer than the Bilsteins?

What other items would I need if I were changing out the suspension? I have read on the vortex about what people have done. I guess you have to change some mounting brackets too? I imagine new bushigns would be needed?

Lastly, how different are our suspensions from say an Audi S4. Same parent company. Do you think that the parts could be mated up easily? I read somewhere that a TT would be a nightmare, so I assume the same for and S4.

Oh, and has anyone looked into the 337 suspension. I have read glowing reviews, and it seems like it is something we should easily be able to get from VW. Any thought?

Matt

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Originally posted by First D:
The front is the same, but the rear springs are different (they're longer).

Does anyone know what is the correct rear spring for a 2002 TDI Wagon with automatic transmission to add to the rear spring's load carrying capacity? I don't want to raise or lower the car at all, only to increase the load carrying ability. When loaded with four people and no luggage, with less than a half tank of fuel, it 'sags' quite a bit in the rear.

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Has anyone talked to Shine about doing a spring for the wagons?

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I plan to give Shine a call when I get back from my business trip. I've emailed them a few days ago but have yet to receive a response, which seems SOP for them...

Chris

Originally posted by danix:
Has anyone talked to Shine about doing a spring for the wagons?