2014 Jetta Sport Wagon Brakes

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
Got a new to me 2014 Jetta Sport Wagon, and I can never leave anything alone especially a car. Back in the day the wife had a 12 Jetta but would not let me touch it, so I never really learned anything about them.

With that being said, when something needs to be changed or serviced (especially suspension) I tend to upgrade it. So here we are about the brakes.

Is there any bigger system I can install from other products? Rotors, calipers, etc. Does Audi or Porsche bolt up and have the same lug pattern? Thinking of changing to steel braided lines, drilled and slotted rotors, but that is depending if I can bolt up other calipers that fit bigger disk?

Any help on this subject?

*Eventually I will be on 18's or 19's, so clearance shouldn't be an issue. If it is, the wheels and drop kit will have to come earlier than later.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Well you can spend money and make it pretty but I have found the brakes on this car to be better than any I have owned previously. I turned in the 2013 at 167k km (100k mi) and I think they were only about half gone.

Sorry for being a spoil sport.

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
I always spend money to make things pretty. I just dont like the small brakes with bigger wheels, so I have to even them out.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
do you care more about looks or performance? are you trying to stay within a certain budget for the upgrade?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I purchased PowerStop slotted & drilled rotors with carbon ceramic pads. I got it all on eBay for about $300 from Summit Racing.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I’ve looked at upgrading the brakes on on my 2010 for towing purposes. From what I have found, it will cost well over $2k to upgrade to larger discs & calipers that will actually yield better performance.
Much more reasonable to upgrade to higher performance rotors & pads if that’s what you’re after. If you’re after looks, take the calipers off and paint them. Brakes on the wagon are the same size as the GTI/GLI/Cup Edition (IIRC), and they look just fine in red under 18” wheels.
I’m not sure if the brakes from the Mk6 Golf R are any different. Maybe someone can chime in with that.
If you have an unlimited budget - putting Audi RS brakes on your car would look sweet AF and run you around $4k. Send pics!

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
if you want performance, put blank rotors on and spend the money on some nice pads. Porterfield, Carbotech, Hawk, etc.... all make excellent pads that will bite hard and offer great fade resistance, if you're looking for performance on a budget.

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
What I'm looking at is something along the lines of what I did back in the day to my Pontaic Grad Prixs. They were bigger setups from another car that just bolted up. A better look behind bigger wheels and more stopping. Those cars i could move the calipers from a Camaro or Corvette over and they bolted up and i just bought bigger rotors with the right lug pattern.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What I'm looking at is something along the lines of what I did back in the day to my Pontaic Grad Prixs. They were bigger setups from another car that just bolted up. A better look behind bigger wheels and more stopping. Those cars i could move the calipers from a Camaro or Corvette over and they bolted up and i just bought bigger rotors with the right lug pattern.

Better look?....bling! you have come to the wrong forum for that try VWVortex those folks are full of how it looks opposed to how it performs or is practical. I think you will fit in better there.

seallworth

TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2000 Golf TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but mkV r32/Passat 4motion/CC brakes will bolt up and are ~20mm-ish bigger rotor diameter. Not 100% bolt-on, as you’ll have to change some coding via VCDS to return firm pedal feel, but it’s been done and is well-documented. Worth a quick search at least ����

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
if you want performance, put blank rotors on and spend the money on some nice pads. Porterfield, Carbotech, Hawk, etc.... all make excellent pads that will bite hard and offer great fade resistance, if you're looking for performance on a budget.
^^^ This.

Drilled or slotted rotors don't add to performance. Your best bet is better pads, lines and fluid. Another worthwhile add on is the TyrolSport brake caliper bushing stiffening kit. It will improve feel more than reduce stopping distance but that helps too. They also have a master cylinder brace that removes flex from the system, could be worth a look.

What I'm getting at here is the Sportwagen already had a maxed out braking system from he factory (hence it's on par with the GTI and R models etc). I'd nibble around the edges first with incremental improvements to see if you actually need an upgrade before dropping a bunch of dough. Which could be better suited toward suspension or a tune & exhaust, etc.

If you do go down the upgrade route, Porsche 17z are a cost effective solution you can find at a junkyard coming out of a Touareg/Q7/Cayenne as a starting point. Easy to find pads for and strong resale market. If you really want the bling, go with Alcon and some two piece rotors.

EDIT:
Here's a set for sale right now, though if you're patient you can find some off car-part.com for cheaper by searching the correct models over a period of time.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=498004

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Oem brakes lasted me 235k miles in my old 2011 JSW. I find the oem brakes to be decent enough with malone stage 2 tuning and DSG always help with my braking so its well balanced vehicle.

Nope I am not joking on original brake rotors and pads lasting me 235k miles. Front pads were maybe 25 percent left and rears was about gone.

Rears probably worked a little more than necessary due to me carrying a lot of stuff such as videophone equipments etc for work in the trunk. I once carried 1980 mustang 302 block and 1967 302 heads in the trunk from Arkansas to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk