www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old March 7th, 2019, 16:23   #1
Mateo92807

Default Q5 or Q7?

I'm looking at buying my wife a mid teens (2015/16) Q5 or Q7. I've owned an Audi A8 before and I've also owned a TDI Jetta that is still running with 200K miles on the original engine, trans and TURBO (if you can believe that). So I'm familiar with the quirks of VW/Audi ownership. She probably does NOT need a Diesel as we're not towing anything, but she's not a commuter and we would mostly use it for taking kids to school and road trips. BUT I just can't ignore the reliability of a TDI engine (assuming it's like my Jetta).

Anyway, I know she would likely want the larger vehicle, but is there a huge difference between the two? Reliability? Fuel mileage, etc? I know if I show her both she'll want the Q7, so I just want my ducks in a row if there is any glaring difference between the two. Considering she's not driving it for work or anything, fuel mileage is probably not a big issue for us.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Mateo92807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 16:27   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Why not get her what she wants? That said, on your metrics, including reliability, the Q5 has a better track record.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:43   #3
KevinGary

TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI

Get her what she wants. It will make your life a lot easier.
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:53   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Q5 is a superior vehicle. It is a better platform.
Old March 8th, 2019, 18:43   #5
matt94gt

TDI(s): 2014 Q7

I would say they will both act the same. The Q7 will chomp through tires and brakes faster and be slightly worse for mileage, that's the major difference when it comes to maintenance.

I was debating this as well. I had an A4 Avant and the Q5 seemed smaller than my wagon, and I wanted more space so the Q7 was what I went with. With 2 adults, a kid and dog the Q5 would be blowing out at the seams if you were say heading out on a camping trip. Whereas the Q7 would have room for days. I wish there was a size between (Q8) which would be perfect.

Also around me, there are very few Q5 TDIs so the cost of a Q7 was actually no more expensive.

If you go for the 7 I suggest to hold out for Air Ride, mine does not have it and the ride is a bit rough. As big as they are, they sure don't feel like it when your driving them. Im loving my new Q7 (2014).

Good luck.

Last edited by matt94gt; March 8th, 2019 at 18:45.
matt94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:10   #6
Radman
Veteran Member

Have you considered the Touareg TDI or set on Audi? The Touareg is slightly bigger than the Q5 and has more towing capacity (if that is important to you?)
Cayenne Diesel could be another option but typically alot more $$
Old March 14th, 2019, 13:01   #7
lml999

My wife moved from a '96 A6 wagon to an '05 A6 sedan to a '10 Touareg TDI. Now she's in a '13 Q7. She uses it for work, and the Q7 is the ideal vehicle for what she carts around. Nothing heavy, just bulky.

I stay out of the way when she's choosing cars (as long as she stays in the VAG family)...while she's not a car person, she does have specific likes/dislikes.

From where I sit, the Q7 is a fabulous vehicle. Incredibly comfortable over both short and long distances, not overly complicated. Great engine and fuel economy (we've seen as much as 31 mpg). I don't like the Q5 platform as much...but perhaps I just haven't driven the right one yet...

Thinking about eventually replacing my urAllroad with a Cayenne diesel, or just possibly a Q5 diesel. Need to get some seat time in the Q5...if I had to choose today, it would be a CD.

Bottom line, you really can't go wrong with either. Your wife should drive both, get some good seat time in each, around town, on the highway, etc. She will likely have a strong visceral towards one versus the other, either positive or negative. Whatever she chooses, that's it.
'01 A4 1.8tqa, silver/black, S4 trim & seats, 996 brakes, HSports/Bilsteins/Eibachs
lml999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 13:06   #8
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml999 View Post
My wife moved from a '96 A6 wagon to an '05 A6 sedan to a '10 Touareg TDI. Now she's in a '13 Q7. She uses it for work, and the Q7 is the ideal vehicle for what she carts around. Nothing heavy, just bulky.

I stay out of the way when she's choosing cars (as long as she stays in the VAG family)...while she's not a car person, she does have specific likes/dislikes.

From where I sit, the Q7 is a fabulous vehicle. Incredibly comfortable over both short and long distances, not overly complicated. Great engine and fuel economy (we've seen as much as 31 mpg). I don't like the Q5 platform as much...but perhaps I just haven't driven the right one yet...

Thinking about eventually replacing my urAllroad with a Cayenne diesel, or just possibly a Q5 diesel. Need to get some seat time in the Q5...if I had to choose today, it would be a CD.

Bottom line, you really can't go wrong with either. Your wife should drive both, get some good seat time in each, around town, on the highway, etc. She will likely have a strong visceral towards one versus the other, either positive or negative. Whatever she chooses, that's it.
Now that's funny right there. Made my day!
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:51   #9
lml999

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Now that's funny right there. Made my day!

It's all relative.

First time I drove a Q7 (Hertz, 2009) it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to change the climate control settings.

Now it takes me 20 minutes to figure out how to change the time, but I only have to do that twice a year...
'01 A4 1.8tqa, silver/black, S4 trim & seats, 996 brakes, HSports/Bilsteins/Eibachs
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:54   #10
trae
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo92807 View Post
I'm looking at buying my wife a mid teens (2015/16) Q5 or Q7. I've owned an Audi A8 before and I've also owned a TDI Jetta that is still running with 200K miles on the original engine, trans and TURBO (if you can believe that). So I'm familiar with the quirks of VW/Audi ownership. She probably does NOT need a Diesel as we're not towing anything, but she's not a commuter and we would mostly use it for taking kids to school and road trips. BUT I just can't ignore the reliability of a TDI engine (assuming it's like my Jetta).

Anyway, I know she would likely want the larger vehicle, but is there a huge difference between the two? Reliability? Fuel mileage, etc? I know if I show her both she'll want the Q7, so I just want my ducks in a row if there is any glaring difference between the two. Considering she's not driving it for work or anything, fuel mileage is probably not a big issue for us.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
We just went through the same decision - Q5, Touareg, or Q7.

We test drove all three. I liked the way the Q5 drove the best - b/c the three all have the same engine and it's the lightest, so it is the most spirited, and you can toss it around more. But then we were looking for something we both wanted and my wife has long legs and drives with the seat all the way back. The Q5 is a sweet vehicle and doesn't eat tires and brakes the way the others do, however, we found it a bit cramped. Also it has a smaller cargo area so we ruled it out in favor of a Touareg or Q7.

We ended up with an '013 Q7 with 40,000 miles for about the same price Touaregs were running. While it is more sedate than the Q5, it still pulls like a mule if you stomp on it and it has gobs of space. With the front seats all the way back I can still sit in the back with plenty of space (I am 5'9"). It had an EGR issue that was putting it into limp mode and Audi took care of it under the dieselgate warranty. You can get third row seating - we don't absolutely need it but it's nice to have. Huge cargo area and it drives great. If that's what she really wants, make a compromise and get a Q7 TDI-IDK what sort of fuel economy the gas versions get - likely not great - but since our last fill-up we've gone 320 miles and still have half a tank. It suits our purposes - we only have one kid still at home, but we have four dogs. If I get it tuned it will pull even better and the fuel economy will improve. Very impressed with it so far. She was much more impressed with it than either the Q5 or Touareg and so far we both love it. If I need something sportier, when the time comes to dispose of her Elantra, I'll go full circle and advocate for a Fiat 500 Abarth, and we'll have all bases covered.
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:58   #11
lml999

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt94gt View Post
If you go for the 7 I suggest to hold out for Air Ride, mine does not have it and the ride is a bit rough. As big as they are, they sure don't feel like it when your driving them. Im loving my new Q7 (2014).

Good luck.

Air suspension is vanishingly rare in the TDi. I've seen exactly one for sale/sold with air in the past six months. None on the market, that I know of, right now.

You pretty much have to limit your searches to Prestige package vehicles, and most of them seem to be gas powered.

Also, by the way, used car dealers may not know about the air option. On the Touareg and Cayenne you can look for the console control. On the Q7, I think, it's controlled through the MMI, so there's no console control. So you have to use the build sheet or window sticker to identify options for a specific VIN. There's a couple of VIN decoder sites that will help you with this...

I don't disagree on air, by the way. We had a '10 Touareg TDi with air, and it was very nice. IIRC, about 10% of the V6 diesel Touaregs were optioned with air, so that made for about 400 T2 cars overall with the option. All of the V10 cars had air, and none of the VW T3 cars had air as an option.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:45   #12
oilhammer

And all the air springs fail, eventually. We do LOTS of those.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:39   #13
truman
Veteran Member

Our R350 has air rear suspension only. Wish it was springs really. I have replaced both rear air springs which is a fairly simple DIY. I am thankful it doesn't have full air suspenion. Much more expensive to replace. I would assume Touareg air suspension might be similar. Seems like a needless accessory to me.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:46   #14
oilhammer

Anything that has air springs is a liability waiting to break, and I really don't feel they ride THAT much "better", certainly not worth the headaches. I have converted a lot of cars, but also have some customers that over the years have spent a LOT of money on air springs.
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:43   #15
trae
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Anything that has air springs is a liability waiting to break, and I really don't feel they ride THAT much "better", certainly not worth the headaches. I have converted a lot of cars, but also have some customers that over the years have spent a LOT of money on air springs.

When I think of air suspensions I think of Citroens and lowriders. And something else to go wrong. Ours does ride a bit harsher than the MB ML350 Bluetec that it replaced, but is fine as far as I'm concerned and it more than makes up for it in Chicago with the heated steering wheel and butt warmers