www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 13th, 2019, 01:12   #256
jason_
Veteran Member

That can be from a start up and some idling and easy driving.

If. New catch can the ash should be nearly nothing.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 07:46   #257
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

OK so I just talk to the service rep and they are going to change a few things with the biggest being a high-pressure fuel pump. He said Volkswagen does not think it went all the way into the system, thus it not being the $8k bill it could be. I’m glad it’s covered under warranty, but this sucks at the same time. They said it’ll be ready tomorrow with me owing $0 for the repairs
Smashed Ixnay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 12:39   #258
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
That can be from a start up and some idling and easy driving.

If. New catch can the ash should be nearly nothing.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your second sentence.

The DPF was replaced about 5 months ago during phase 2 fix, I believe. So the calculated soot should not be over 600g? Or you're saying it's normal from idling and easy driving?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:42   #259
jason_
Veteran Member

Soot and ash are two different materials to measure and for the vehicle to work with.

After X grams of soot or X miles of driving the car regens to turn all caught (calculated or measured) soot into ash.

Dpf replacement is phase 2B, not phase 2A. Check your invoice.

24g is normal trigger load, 26 or 28? you get a light telling you to get stay on the road for a 20min drive.

Ash level seems I think has been I think 1 gram for every 10k. If you're not using low ash oil it'll climb faster.

I'm at about 40k, my ash load is 16g. I adda touch of 2stroke oil to every tank fill.

, and at 75000 miles I'm stopping at a dealer to get phase 2B for new Dpf. It's in the paperwork explaining the procedure.

Last edited by jason_; March 15th, 2019 at 06:46.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:21   #260
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Looks like my car is fixed, but my wife’s 2015 Q7 TDI we bought a few weeks is now not wanting to turn on. Audi came to pick it up, so we’ll see what the issue is.
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:19   #261
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Soot and ash are two different materials to measure and for the vehicle to work with.

After X grams of soot or X miles of driving the car regens to turn all caught (calculated or measured) soot into ash.

Dpf replacement is phase 2B, not phase 2A. Check your invoice.

24g is normal trigger load, 26 or 28? you get a light telling you to get stay on the road for a 20min drive.

Ash level seems I think has been I think 1 gram for every 10k. If you're not using low ash oil it'll climb faster.

I'm at about 40k, my ash load is 16g. I adda touch of 2stroke oil to every tank fill.

, and at 75000 miles I'm stopping at a dealer to get phase 2B for new Dpf. It's in the paperwork explaining the procedure.

The oil ash volume is .07l and oil ash mass is 30.8g

I'm at 76K miles, but my phase 2 was done around 70K and phase 1 was at 65K. My understanding is that my mileage wasn't low enough to warrant a phase 2a and 2b, it was simply phase 2 for higher mileage vehicles.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 13:55   #262
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Got my car and everything seemed great. Drove off about 2 miles later my check engine light came on. Code is for some sensor near the windshield wipers. They said they don't know what VW wants them to do, but the car is perfectly safe to drive. He said it's part of the emission stuff, so once they get told what to do they'll go from there.
Old March 18th, 2019, 16:36   #263
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Driving home today going about 70mph I felt my car lose power. I’m back to square one. Once the car gets speed it’s not bad, but from a dead stop it’s a dog. off the line. I wonder if VW would give me a loaner if it’s going to take another week to “fix” it this time.

I recorded a video (sorry pops started to talk some).

https://youtu.be/GAaySoQuxa8

I’m going to drop the car off tomorrow morning. I am able to shut the car off and the issue goes away (unsure for how long). I’ll take it as my high pressure fuel pump was never the issue to begin with since it’s still doing it. I guess that’s a good thing and bad thing as it did not fix this my issue, but I got a new HPFP out of this.
This sucks.
Old March 20th, 2019, 08:15   #264
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Not sure what these are, But these are what made my check engine light come on Friday after they fixed my car. I took the car immediately back after leaving when my check engine light came on and they checked them. . Nothing was wrong with them and they were completely fine, so they told me to just drive the car because it is just something to do with the emissions and it’s not a safety issue. Apparently it was a safety issue.

Old March 21st, 2019, 09:53   #265
yurkin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
Not sure what these are, But these are what made my check engine light come on Friday after they fixed my car. I took the car immediately back after leaving when my check engine light came on and they checked them. . Nothing was wrong with them and they were completely fine, so they told me to just drive the car because it is just something to do with the emissions and itís not a safety issue. Apparently it was a safety issue.

DPF sensors 04L-131-552-DL
Happened to me as well, if you would have kept on driving it would of caught on fire.
yurkin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:30   #266
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurkin89 View Post
DPF sensors 04L-131-552-DL
Happened to me as well, if you would have kept on driving it would of caught on fire.
I opened the hood of my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium last evening, after seeing this picture. I have the insulation wrapped item too, but it wasn't clear then to me what it was. Thanks for stating what that is. Obviously that insulation wrap is there for a purpose. I suspect the item gets quite hot, so the insulation wrap protects what is outside of the wrap? If so, this part must have gotten hotter than it should have for some reason. Any idea why it might have gotten so hot as to burn the sensor up?
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 02:22   #267
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
The oil ash volume is .07l and oil ash mass is 30.8g

I'm at 76K miles, but my phase 2 was done around 70K and phase 1 was at 65K. My understanding is that my mileage wasn't low enough to warrant a phase 2a and 2b, it was simply phase 2 for higher mileage vehicles.
Yah, if you had some higher miles on it prior to phase 2, then they would of just done everything.

So your good. Seems the ecm is keeping up on things with the new hardware.

Now delete and tune, , and resell it to someone who has surpassed their Dpf...

Old Yesterday, 05:05   #268
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
OK so I just talk to the service rep and they are going to change a few things with the biggest being a high-pressure fuel pump. He said Volkswagen does not think it went all the way into the system, thus it not being the $8k bill it could be. I’m glad it’s covered under warranty, but this sucks at the same time. They said it’ll be ready tomorrow with me owing $0 for the repairs
I am sorry I might have missed it but did they say the fuel was contaminated and the HPFP failure is still covered under the extended emission warranty?

Last edited by MBQ; Yesterday at 09:44.
MBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26   #269
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
Driving home today going about 70mph I felt my car lose power. I’m back to square one. Once the car gets speed it’s not bad, but from a dead stop it’s a dog. off the line. I wonder if VW would give me a loaner if it’s going to take another week to “fix” it this time.

I recorded a video (sorry pops started to talk some).

https://youtu.be/GAaySoQuxa8

I’m going to drop the car off tomorrow morning. I am able to shut the car off and the issue goes away (unsure for how long). I’ll take it as my high pressure fuel pump was never the issue to begin with since it’s still doing it. I guess that’s a good thing and bad thing as it did not fix this my issue, but I got a new HPFP out of this.
This sucks.
My emission fixed A8L got the similar issue. It's that when the fuel has 3-4 gallons left and the OBD tells me it can still drive another 80-100 miles, the coil signal came on and the engine lost power greatly. The highest speed it could go is initially 60mph, then 50, then 40......gradually slowing down and then finally stops.

First time this happened is when I drove from TX to California on I-10 between nowhere last July. It was really scary. I was lucky enough to drive the car slowly to the closest gas station after 15 miles since the engine lost power. After refilling with a full tank of diesel, the car could start again and the coil signal went away temporarily like nothing really happened. I took it to an Audi dealer in Riverside, CA for preventive diagnosis and was told it was "normal" for it to happen.

Before the emission fix that really never happened. Even if the OBD told me there was 0 miles left that could be driven, I could still manage to drive the pre-fix car for about another 30 miles.

Since last July the engine lost significant power and the coil signal came on with 3-4 gallons diesel left in the tank. Every single time. It consistently occurs like a running clock.

This time I decide to reproduce this coil signal and show it to an Audi dealer. Well I could run the risk of being stranded somewhere and being not be able to drive the car to the dealer.

Last edited by MBQ; Yesterday at 19:32.
MBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:30   #270
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Some Audis have two fuel tanks and a transfer pump between the two. It is possible one of them has a pickup problem or something similar. If your dealer is stonewalling you I would try a different dealer. The car should not be doing this.
flargabarg is online now   Reply With Quote