www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 6th, 2000, 13:41   #16
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Default Re: Injector Pump Problems

Before going any further, check the O-ring on the fuel cutoff solenoid!

Search these forums for "fuel cutoff solenoid" or "O-ring" and you'll find the do-it-yourself instructions.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2000, 17:00   #17
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

It's a tough spot. Even if you pay all that dough, it still could take a while. You're just trying to get other opinions in order to make a prudent decision. Do you have a place and desire to work on it yourself?

1. The car is used? Can you talk to the previous owner about what was done to the car. Just because it's not in the vw database, doesn't mean it was not done.

2. Can you ask the dealer that did the diagnosis for an analysis of why exactly they say the pump is shot? Maybe including a printout of the diagnostic computer. They really should have this if they're going to make such a drastic recommendation as this.

3. Perhaps another VW dealer's opinion could be obtained. Tell them ahead of time you're very interested in seeing any computer printouts and analyses of results, since you'll be paying for this.

4. It is indeed possible to look at a diagnostic computer, (either VW's or the $200 vag-com program that runs on a laptop) to see if the pump is injecting fuel within permissable limits, and if the two electronic components relating to injection quantity control and measurement are within specification.

5. You are living on borrowed time if the timing belt wasn't changed yet.

6. If they made a mis-diagnosis, something fixable, (by you), could be the problem. It might be a good sign that there was no check engine or glow plug light.

7. As far as what else could be wrong, if they totally blew the diagnosis:

a. I don't know what other conditions could cause the revs to increase like that without any pedal. Maybe the accelerator potentiometer is messed up. Anyone else?

b. As far as loss of power goes, you need to check the complete air flow path and also the fuel path. So new filters and clearing any clogged screens and possible soot accumulation in the intake.

c. You need to get someone with a diagnosis computer to check things too. There's a whole list of things in the Bentley CD, that one could go down, like fuel flow, air flow, boost pressure, timing, etc at idle and at full throttle.
Karl Roenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2000, 18:29   #18
Spooky

Hey 98,

There is a Bosch service center called I. B. Diesel on Rt. 422 in between New Castle and Youngstown. It's maybe 5 miles from the state line on the PA side. Their number is 724/658-9858.

Your dealer is trying to give it to you up the @$$. Good luck.

FTM

------------------
2002 Golf GL TDI if all goes according to plan...
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2000, 19:25   #19
mickey

Definitely check the o-ring on the fuel cutoff valve. The repair may end up costing you 50 cents...or even ZERO if the ring has just slipped out of it's slot.

No "pull" above 2000 rpms? Does it fell normal below that speed? Could be a turbo problem. (That would be bad.) Doubtful, though.

Whatever you do, get the car away from the freaking dealer! They have absolutely no clue. If it IS a pump problem, get your original pump rebuilt by a Bosch service facility. Anything you buy from the dealer will be overpriced.

-mickey

p.s. Never had the fuel filter changed? The first things I'd try would be the o-ring and a new fuel filter. Then get a whole huge bottle of Power Services fuel additive and dump it into a full tank of fresh fuel.

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old December 7th, 2000, 01:37   #20
WOOCHOW
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 50/47

Sounds like the classic O-ring problem to me. Mine failed three times so far. I'm at 72,000 miles. The last time I replaced the fuel shut-off solenoid along with the O-ring and I haven't had a problem for quite awhile. Tell your dealer to stick that $3,500.00 pump in his brown eye!

------------------

1998 Black Jetta TDi
Bilstein HD Struts/shocks
TDi Tuning Box
WOOCHOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 05:03   #21
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

I would be so cool if a little thing like the fuel shut off solenoid would be the problem. There are a couple of guys with your vintage car saying it sounds just like the problem they experienced first hand.

Question for WOOCHOW: Could this problem cause that one-time revving to 3000 rpm? Maybe that's when it got out of whack.

PS: DUH on me. I just read the faq at http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-8.html#d

It would be so cool it this would be the fix.

[This message has been edited by Karl Roenick (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old December 7th, 2000, 08:00   #22
Turbo-DI
Veteran Member

It Sure would be nice if it was the o-ring problem.

But Stray away from the dealer if it does become a injector pump problem and take it to a Authroized Bosch dealer and let the diagnose the pump they know a lot more then the VW dealer knows about the pump..

never know they just may need to adjust your pump toss it onto the testing machine and make sure it pumps the correct ammount of fuel when it's supposed to.

i dont know much about these pumps but i have watched pumps and injectors get rebuilt and tested..

just my 2 cents

Thanks
mark
Turbo-DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 08:12   #23
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

Diesel Injection Service Co Inc

4710 Allmond Avenue
Louisville , KY 40209-0389, United States
Tel1: 1 502-361-1181 Fax: 502-364-3200
Email: sbaileydislouisville@compuserve.com

These guys are the closest Garrett Turbocharger distributor to Ohio - I don't know how far away you are maybe too far but it is a start . . .

have you called any of the close Bosch service centers?
Ohio Bosch Service Centers
This sounds like a job for them. although if it is a turbo place I would try the kentucky folks.
GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 09:36   #24
98JettaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg ave

UPDATE:

Dealer is now saying the Fuel Cut Valve is what needs to be replaced.

I haven't had any luck with Bosch Service Center: none have any experiece with TDI's.

I'm also having difficulty finding a diesel service center with experience replacing timing belts on TDI's.

If anyone knows of service center in the Cleveland, Akron, Lorain, or Northeast Ohio area that does timing belts without raping and pillaging my wallet I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

An alternative would be to replace this myself. If anyone lives in the northeast Ohio area is willing to assist, please let me know.

Dealer is supposed to have the above repair finished today, I will update when I hear from them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
98JettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 10:06   #25
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

actually probably o-ring I would guess not whole cut-off but no big deal.

it might be worth it for you to drive to teh Toledo repair place that The Ripster has used - either that or hook up with Drivebywire and pay his token fee . . .
GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 10:27   #26
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

Fuel cutoff solenoid! Cool!
How/why did the dealer change his tune?
Old December 7th, 2000, 13:05   #27
98JettaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg ave

Karl:

Dealer stated that on older TDI's this part was built in to the injector pump, and they thought my TDI was like this.

I'm picking it up today, so I'll see how it drives. They claim its fixed.

Now I have to work on the timing belt. I found on place that said "about a couple hundred" I don't have much faith that they have much experience with TDI's though.
98JettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 13:59   #28
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

Did you mention the cut off solenoid first, or did they come up with that all by themselves?
Old December 8th, 2000, 00:36   #29
Turbo-DI
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it's the fuel cutoff solenoid!!

you need to give the Bosch service center the pumps model number not the engine type!

My 2 cents

Great News!
Turbo-DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2000, 01:06   #30
WOOCHOW
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 50/47

Karl, the classic sysmptom of the O-ring failure is that when you tart the car, the revs immediately jump to around 3000 rpm and then everything settles down to a nice, smooth idle. But when you start to drive, you notice the car way down on power, with a top speed of about 55mph. When it first happened to me, I immediately though the wastegate for the turbo had become stuck open. When I brought it to the dealer, they said I had overfilled the crankcase when I changed the oil and the intercooler was probably filled with oil-they would drain and clean it for $100. I've never been back. Karl, I have a nephew who, I believe, lives in your area. He's a TV meteorologist on one of your local stations. His name is Steve LaPointe, have you seen him?

------------------

1998 Black Jetta TDi
Bilstein HD Struts/shocks
TDi Tuning Box
WOOCHOW is offline   Reply With Quote