Sunday fun!

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
Hi all. I’m in the middle of a transmission replace. I found a donor car with a rebuilt auto that I’m using. The car was way too cheap to pass up. Used a bunch of parts for another Passat I have, so the transmission was almost a freebie! My question is should I replace motor mounts? Or that hidden coolant flange behind the head? Any other parts anyone can think of as long as it’s all out? I pulled the motor and trans together. Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My plastic t and rear hoses looked good so i left them be. I would replace the thermostat and cct if they hadn't been replaced. My thermostat started sticking when i put it back on the road. It was sitting apart for a month upside down on an engine stand. Replace rear main if it looks wet.

Obviously timing belt and bs delete if it hasnt been done. Pull the valve cover and look at the cam.

Get carbon out if intake if its bad.

Check for cracked or leaky motor/tranny mounts. Make sure ground/startet cables are not chafing, i had a ground wire that looked rough.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head

Jzallan

TDI
Based on my experience, anytime I have the transmission or both the engine and transmission out, I replace both the coolant flange and tandem pump gasket, especially if I do not know when they were replaced last. Visual on these parts are not good enough. When you have that easy of access to swap them, do it. It is very cheap insurance.

Also, if your motor mount part #'s end in AE, replace them. AR is the updated part #.

Rear main seal is usually wet from leaking tandem pump gasket. Very rarely do they go bad.

Thanks for the info!

Jzallan

TDI
My plastic t and rear hoses looked good so i left them be. I would replace the thermostat and cct if they hadn't been replaced. My thermostat started sticking when i put it back on the road. It was sitting apart for a month upside down on an engine stand. Replace rear main if it looks wet.

Obviously timing belt and bs delete if it hasnt been done. Pull the valve cover and look at the cam.

Get carbon out if intake if its bad.

Check for cracked or leaky motor/tranny mounts. Make sure ground/startet cables are not chafing, i had a ground wire that looked rough.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head

Thanks for the helpful information