www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old January 28th, 2018, 21:31   #961
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

I don't think it was the color so much - I've been in my other cars (regular Halogens) and in that same situation... Can't see sheet either. The HID were also completely worthless. Wet roads just soak up the light amazingly well.
Old January 28th, 2018, 23:12   #962
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordi View Post
These HID don't shine forward, the globe is in the center of the light. The lens is doing most of the work?
HID light shines in a 360, LED out of the sides.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 14:04   #963
pyroom

TDI(s): Jetta

Bought a set of HID retrofits ~6 months ago. Very fast to respond to a couple issues I had during installation (all my fault). Very pleased; light output is fantastic, better than my cars with stock LEDs.
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 21:54   #964
McGuillicuddy
Veteran Member

Hey, I've been spending way too much time waffling on the Midwest website. Can Jeff (or anybody) describe the differences in performance between the E-Code replicas and the HIDs? From a Canadian dollar standpoint it looks like the HIDs are almost double (if both have glass lenses) the E-Codes (~$610 vs $360) and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Is it pretty much agreed upon that the E-Codes are a vast improvement over stock and good enough for most people?

Thanks!

Last edited by McGuillicuddy; March 29th, 2018 at 21:57.
McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:11   #965
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg

The ecode headlights are just European beam pattern halogen reflector headlamps. A standard halogen bulb reflects light off the housing and out onto the road. The HID headlamps are a different system. It consists of a HID bulb which is much brighter than a halogen bulb placed inside a projector unit that disperses light onto the road in a wide and even beam pattern with far less hot spots and more intensity than the halogen setups. The reason the HID lights cost more is that the aforementioned ecode headlights have to be retrofitted with projectors. The extra cost is derived from the cost of the projectors, HID bulbs, and conversion wiring, along with the labor to do the conversion. The ecode lights pretty much come ready to go from the factory and require no modification other than fitting on glass lenses.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 23:40   #966
Wilkins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.6/5.6 - 5.3/6.7

I used to have a set of Chinese ecode replicas in my Mk IV Jetta and stock lights in my Mk VI Golf. After avoiding a moose in a vehicle with HIDs I put OEM HIDs in the Golf. The MK Vi high beams are not very good and I’d had too many near misses with animals on dark roads.

At about the same time as I installed the Golf lights, I found a great deal on a used set of Jeff’s lights for the Jetta, so I picked them up. They needed some shims to be aimed right and for some reason the parking bulbs were not connected to the main plug, but I figured out how to make them work since I do have a couple of sets of ‘donor’ headlights for parts. I think Jeff will tell you he has sorted the aiming problem now and the parking bulb problem was probably related to the angel eyes originally in the headlights, but now gone. A lot easier to install than the full AFS setup I put in the Golf and new they would have been about half the cost.

I’m happy with the lights, particularly the output. I understand the bulbs I have in Jeff’s lights are the latest ones he is selling and I think they are noticeably brighter than the OEM MK VI HID bulbs. The only complaint I have comparing the two headlights from a light output perspective is that Jeff’s lights have a sharper cutoff which can be distracting since it visibily bounces around as the car pitches over bumps. From a reliability perspective I wonder how long the mounting of the projector will hold up, but I haven’t heard of any problems with drooping and change of aim. Visibly they are obviously retrofits, but still well sealed with all original covers. Compared to the Chinese ecode knockoffs they replaced low beam lighting is vastly better and high beams are as good or better.

The biggest advantage of HIDs in my opinion is the even spread of light across the road. On a two lane road llumination extends evenly to the shoulder on each side, although because of the beam pattern sight distance with low beams is less on the left.

Ecode’s provide wider and more even illumination than the SAE beam pattern but in my experience reflectors still tend to put a brighter spot in the middle than an equivalent projector. HIDs are brighter, according to published numbers the 35 watt HID bulbs produce more than 3000 lumens while a standard 55 watt halogen produces about 1400 lumens so there is about twice as much light leaving the headlight. We don’t perceive twice the light, I think it is a cube root relationship rather than linear so maybe we perceive 25% brighter and additional sight distance from the HIDs as a result of the doubled lumens. All adds up to better illumination of the shoulders of the road with HIDS, plus with the accurate beam cut-off the low beams should put less light in the eyes of oncoming drivers than an SAE beam pattern with half the lumens would, as long as they are aimed properly. We should keep in mind that in much of the world any headlight producing this much light is not just required to be aimed properly, it is also required to have an automatic levelling device.
2005 Jetta Wagon: Evo skid plate, Kerma Tune, Moog VR6 front springs, Koni Reds, Jeff's HID's, Upgraded door switches!. MKVI: Containflo+Pureflo, Rear Tiggy springs and B6 Billies, Xenon w LED, AFS, 087T BCM
Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote