Flashing Glow plug light + Flashing Oil pressure light w/ chime

short_fuse

TDI
99 Jetta, 2004 Ram 2500
Please forgive me for asking this question, as I just looked through 228 flashing glow plug light threads but didn't see where anyone had this combination.

I have a 1999.5 Jetta A4 155k miles, and no issues. Last night while driving, the glow plug light starts flashing. About 5 miles down the road, the oil light starts flashing and I get a chime. I had no check engine light, just the two warning lights flashing.

Turn off the ignition switch and push in the clutch and coast to a stop. Pop the hood, good oil on the stick, and everything "seems" fine. Crank her back up and no warning indicator lights. The glow plug light and the oil light both are out at this point.

Get about a mile down the road and it all starts again. Turn her off, coast, cycle power all lights off and go again.. I cycled the thing home like this for about 20 miles. (Took a chance, figuring it's a ECM error, as I can't see why a glow plug light would throw an oil pressure code.)

It was raining - so maybe something got wet and shorted? Oh yea, the car ran fine... no power loss...

Any related experiences?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
flashing gp light= non-emission related fault detected
oil light flashing= shut it off now!

It could be a faulty oil pressure sensor.
It could be a bad oil pump.
It could be something else.

Get a scan of fault codes to find out why the GP light was flashing.

short_fuse

TDI
99 Jetta, 2004 Ram 2500
Flashing glow plug light - fixed

MOGolf said:
flashing gp light= non-emission related fault detected
oil light flashing= shut it off now!

It could be a faulty oil pressure sensor.
It could be a bad oil pump.
It could be something else.

Get a scan of fault codes to find out why the GP light was flashing.
Glow plug light flashing wound up being the brake light switch. $6.00 later, and that's done.

So I had no warnings or MIL on the dash and I start out the drive when the oil light flashes and I get the chime. Shut her down and it resets. I backed it up and shut it down until I can figure out *** is going on.

Just installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I have 30 pounds at idle with engine hot. At 2200 rpm I have 75 lbs pressure. It doesn't throw the no oil indicator light at idle, but at 1500 rpm it throws the low oil pressure light, and I'm reading 55 lbs pressure on the mechanical gauge.

So which sending unit is bad? 1999.5 ALH Does it only have the one?

Thanks,

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I do have a vag-com. And yes, there are two different oil pressure sensors. It uses one above 2000 rpm and one below. I don't know which is which off hand, and I don't have my repair manual with me to look it up :/

-Jason

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Oil pressure sensor

compu_85 said:
I do have a vag-com. And yes, there are two different oil pressure sensors. It uses one above 2000 rpm and one below. I don't know which is which off hand, and I don't have my repair manual with me to look it up :/

-Jason
My Bentley says only one oil pressure switch. When engine reaches approx 1500 rpm, the electronic control unit checks to see if ground is complete. If not complete, the warning light & buzzer are activated. Replace switch which is located on the oil filter flange.

short_fuse

TDI
99 Jetta, 2004 Ram 2500
2004STARWARSTDI said:
My Bentley says only one oil pressure switch. When engine reaches approx 1500 rpm, the electronic control unit checks to see if ground is complete. If not complete, the warning light & buzzer are activated. Replace switch which is located on the oil filter flange.
Thanks, I have one ordered... Brown One... so for now, I have a mechanical gauge, but this idiot light keeps freaking me out!! Lol!

Like I said earlier in the post - Lost brake light switch and oil pressure sending unit within about 5 miles of each other. So is there a common ground I need to clean / check somewhere?

Thanks again,
Ron