Golf R Suspension Done! Alignment issues...

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Just got my car back from alignment after putting MK6 Golf R suspension and rear sway bar in. All I can say is what a difference!! Very excited about this! Strangely though, even with a subframe shift, my local dealer was not able to get the left front camber into spec. I'm going to double check to make sure that I installed the left strut mount in the correct orientation but I'm almost certain that I did. Either way, night and day difference in handling!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Nice Sportwagen!

What suspension components did you swap over from the Mark 6 Golf R?

Thanks,

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Nice Sportwagen!

What suspension components did you swap over from the Mark 6 Golf R?

Thanks,
Thanks! It's great, picked it up a little over a month ago and it's pretty much exactly where I want it to be now. I swapped over the springs, shocks and struts. I bought the set from another member here, which included everyhing even the dust shields, bump stops etc. I used Audi TT strut mounts which are solid rather than the stock mounts which allow for a little more flex. I also swapped over the rear sway bar from the Golf R. So far I've done this, dieselgeek short shifter and a skid plate and I don't plan to do anything else for a while! Gotta keep that dieselgate warranty.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Two questions:

1. Is the height of the car the same?
2. What is the size of the rear sway bar? Is it 21mm?

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Two questions:

1. Is the height of the car the same?
2. What is the size of the rear sway bar? Is it 21mm?
Unfortunately I didn't measure the car before so I can't comment on the difference in ride height. If there is one its very small.
The Golf R rear sway bar is 21.7mm in diameter. Factory bar was 18.7. Made quite a big difference!

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks! It's great, picked it up a little over a month ago and it's pretty much exactly where I want it to be now. I swapped over the springs, shocks and struts. I bought the set from another member here, which included everyhing even the dust shields, bump stops etc. I used Audi TT strut mounts which are solid rather than the stock mounts which allow for a little more flex. I also swapped over the rear sway bar from the Golf R. So far I've done this, dieselgeek short shifter and a skid plate and I don't plan to do anything else for a while! Gotta keep that dieselgate warranty.

We are in the same boat. I just purchased mine about a month ago and am slowly getting the car set up as I want. In the process of collecting parts required to do the R32 brake upgrade (345mm front and 310mm rear). Also pursuing the rear fog and front fogs with the Euro Switch. I do plan to install the DPF and EGR delete pipe with the malone 2 tune over the winter. Suspension is also on my list, but I don't want the low-rider look, so that is why the Golf R suspension set up caught my interest...

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
We are in the same boat. I just purchased mine about a month ago and am slowly getting the car set up as I want. In the process of collecting parts required to do the R32 brake upgrade (345mm front and 310mm rear). Also pursuing the rear fog and front fogs with the Euro Switch. I do plan to install the DPF and EGR delete pipe with the malone 2 tune over the winter. Suspension is also on my list, but I don't want the low-rider look, so that is why the Golf R suspension set up caught my interest...
Yes, very drastic improvement in handling but you would almost never be able to tell looking at the car. I'm very happy with it so far. Curious about the brake upgrade. Just registered the car for its first autocross and I'm excited to see how it does. My car is CPO and the dealer did pads and rotors but definitely not a bleed, which I'm going to do as soon as I get the power bleeder I ordered. After that, I'm going to try to assess whether just a pad upgrade will be enough. The brakes seem like they'll have plenty of power but definitely curious about an upgrade. Keep me posted! I looked into the fog light upgrade, but it seems like it may cost more than I want to spend to get everything ($400+). Maybe that isn't the case?

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
alext91 - Hey, do you know if the Golf Mark 5 R32 Springs, Struts, Shocks and Rear Sway Bar fit the Mark 6 JSWs?

Last edited:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard to say on the fingers, my driveway is uneven so I'll look the next time I'm parked on level ground. Definitely dropped it a little bit but a very small amount. I'm very happy with the appearance. As far as MK5 R32 suspension, all mark 5 and mark 6 cars are on the A5 (PQ35) chassis including the mark 5 R32 so I don't see why it wouldn't fit, but I don't know that 100%. Sway bars should fit too. As with mine, the Golf R sway bar has a slightly different shape to clear the rear diff but still fit my car perfectly

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Alex - did you ever get the alignment issue sorted out with you car?

Do you notice any rear rake to your car - where the rear sits a little lower than the front?

I just finished my installation of the Golf R springs. The front sits at the same height as with the stock springs, but the rear sits about a half inch lower now.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Alex - did you ever get the alignment issue sorted out with you car?

Do you notice any rear rake to your car - where the rear sits a little lower than the front?

I just finished my installation of the Golf R springs. The front sits at the same height as with the stock springs, but the rear sits about a half inch lower now.
Mike,

I actually just posted in your other thread. I had another shop do alignment after I recently installed Audi S3 front lower rearward control arm bushings. I also loosened the top bolts on the struts and ran the steering rack back and forth to settle the mounts in before I dropped it off. They were able to get the alignment perfectly into spec! My car has no reverse rake (unless loaded obviously). Here's a picture I took this morning: