Hood liner 2011 sportwagen TDI

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
In case anyone is looking to replace their hood liner:)
Over the past few years a variety of mentally deficient rodents have tried to nest in my hood liner. I decided to replace the original which was looking very tatty and falling apart.

I found the cheapest original part was around $150 but found the JL version at partsgeek for $54. The manufacturer confirmed it was a direct replacement for 5KO 863 831G (very helpful staff at partsgeek) so I bought it. Turns out its a really nice part - very well made and is an exact replacement.
Took me about 5 minutes to remove the old one and replace it with the new one - even comes with new clips.
cheers
Barri

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
Thanks for the tip, but they are already out of stock. :(

Btw, did VW remove the hood liners on all of the post-fix TDI's? I looked at several SportWagens before I purchased mine, and not a single one of them had a hood liner still installed. :confused: I wonder if the emissions fix raises underhood temperatures to the point where VW deemed it unsafe to keep the hood liner?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I trashed it in my old 2011 and 2014. Don’t want to deal with them sagging and making it unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My hood liner is still there after the fix. The local dealer knows his stuff so I am sure he would have removed it if that was required as part of the fix. Maybe they were just unsightly.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
If I'm not mistaken, aren't those liners fire retardant?

Maybe they removed them to mitigate potential rodent infestation, while the vehicles were sitting for a while?!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Mine was tattered and chewed up by mice on my '13. After I checked prices to replace- I just removed it from the car and called it a day!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine was tattered and chewed up by mice on my '13. After I checked prices to replace- I just removed it from the car and called it a day!

LOL good decision. I had a close call in my old 2011 JSW, it actually sagged and almost reached to the serpentine belt. I was spooked and instantly grabbed it off. Florida heat plus engine heat equals no bueno and no mercy to the hood liner.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for sharing. I saved the link for later.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
2010 had one, 2014 doesn't. No noticeable difference.

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagon TDI Sunroof
I was just making the rounds at dealerships and the ones that hadn't been detailed were full of rodent nests in most cases, 80% were sagging. The cleaned up JSWs either had no hoodliner or on that had been cleaned up and reattached. Those without hoodliners probably were just beyond repair would be my guess.

Filthwagen

TDI
2010 Jetta
Thanks for the tip, but they are already out of stock. :(
Btw, did VW remove the hood liners on all of the post-fix TDI's? I looked at several SportWagens before I purchased mine, and not a single one of them had a hood liner still installed. :confused: I wonder if the emissions fix raises underhood temperatures to the point where VW deemed it unsafe to keep the hood liner?
this site has the same ones for cheaper. Ordered one will edit when I get it and install to comment of quality

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/PartNumberSearch.aspx?pnsearch=1K0863831D

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT