For those working at USG Facilities...

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
You may have seen various special parking spaces popping up at Federal Facilities (including DoD bases) saying "Carpool/Vanpool Only" and "Alternative Fuel/Fuel Efficient Vehicles Only".

In case you were wondering what cars qualify, you can find a list on the greenercars.org list. Basically any car tested to have a LEED green score of >40 qualifies for the special parking spots.

More directly related to this forum - both the TDI Passats and the 2.5L Gassers qualify with scores of 48 and 41, respectively.

I love parking the big ole Passat in the middle of all of the Prii at work.

http://www.greenercars.org/LEED2012.xls

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
next thing you know they'll start posting signs like the UAW had years ago that said "American Cars Only". Oh wait, I guess the Passat could still park there. Probably the Jetta and JSW too but not the Golf.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
next thing you know they'll start posting signs like the UAW had years ago that said "American Cars Only". Oh wait, I guess the Passat could still park there. Probably the Jetta and JSW too but not the Golf.
Passat US.
Jetta Mexico, technically america but not USA
Jetta Sports wagon and Golf germany.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What the heck is the point of "green" parking spots if there are 1,112 car models that qualify? :confused: :eek:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What's funny is the "LOW EMMISION (sic) AND FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES ONLY" space at work, that's often filled with a CL550 or a rusted out Legacy. (The 2011 Golf TDI and the Aveo that I've seen in it, though, are on the list, it seems.)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The LEED spots where I work, people just park there.

My understanding is, it works because the property is technically kinda-sorta private property (owned by the local port authority, which is a joint venture between two municipalities and the county, though), so parking in a LEED spot with a non-LEED-compliant vehicle technically falls under trespassing, I believe.

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
No stickers on our base, its supposed to be on the honor system. ;-)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Passat US.
Jetta Mexico, technically america but not USA
Jetta Sports wagon and Golf germany.
My Golf is built in Germany but the JSW is built in Mexico, as I think all of them are.

Diesel Ed

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG); 09 Jetta TDI (DSG, Sedan)
Our school has a few of those. I park in them with our Suburban when I can. :D

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
They still have that sign, it says American made cars only all foreign made cars will be towed. Guess that means I can park my Passat there, but the local chairmans Chevy Avalanche is going to be towed. ?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, the NAFTA definition of "American made" includes Mexico and Canada, IIRC.

And, a literal definition would include all Americas, which includes Brazil, adding most Mk4 Golfs (4-door 2000 and 2001, all 2002-2006) into the mix.

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
Yeah well I don't know who's going to buy all these goods and services when no one here has a job anymore. The destruction of the middle class means the destruction of the nation. This country can't survive without a middle class and those are the jobs that are being eliminated. But hey the CEOs are making out great ( for now) until it all dries up.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Let's not forget that the middle class and corporations carry the lion share of tax burdens. 49% of Americans PAY NO TAXES according to 2010 data. Almost half of the population is refunded all OR MORE than withheld. That's a major problem.

Economy cannot thrive without a flourishing business sector. Burden companies with high taxes and they either close their doors, or move all/part of operations offshore. Gummit is foolish to over-tax business for three reasons: 1) businesses DON'T PAY TAXES... their customers pay it... therefore taxes are inherently inflationary. 2) business-friendly policies generate greater TAX REVENUES, and 3) unemployment surges when gummit is hostile to businesses... companies shrink their workforce to weather high taxes, costly regulation and uncertainty.

Corporations have been sitting on trillion$ of cash since 2010. The Dow is up 100% since March of 2009. Most industries are doing well financially. But very little hiring is going on. Corporations are afraid to rehire or create new jobs because of a hostile atmosphere and uncertain tax policies. The sooner gummit releases its grip on the nads of business owners/leaders, the sooner the economy will improve and unemployment will drop.

I'm not anti-taxes... just visit most any other country and you'll never take our basic infrastructures for granted.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm only anti-taxes this time of year. I've not finished mine yet because I don't see where I have enough deductions to keep from paying in a lot.