Tuning and chipping the B7, is it possible?

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I pulled this off of RV net. It is in reference to Bosch ECM's that have been installed in GMC /Chevy Duramax diesel trucks and it prevents tuners from modding the fueling map software for the fuel systems on these trucks.

was install the new "feared" Bosch ECM that does not allow the calibration to be read through the OBDII port. In doing this, they were able to gain legal power against tuners and such because the only legal way for any tuner to be able to tune the truck would be for the truck owner themselves to pull the tune and then alter it, anyone else who would gain access to a tune other than the trucks owner would be committing fraud. They also put a hold on the ECMs for 6 months, and any replacement ECMs require a lot of documenting before being sent out.

Does anyone know the case if Bosch has indeed done the same thing and locked down the American B7 Passat ECM too? Are they too untuneable

I am asking, I do not know if this has or has not been employed on NA B7 passat TDI ECM's or not.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not sure abot the B7 but don't the CJAA ECUs need to be pulled then programed? I don't think you can do anything with the ECU through the ODBII port without first pulling the ECU.

I'd imagine the B7 would use this same type of security feature.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
That may stop OBDII "flash tuning", but the chip I have on my 03 F-350 required me to pull the ECU and add the chip to it. I am not sure if this new ECU would also prevent this type of tuning or not.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Technically all EDC15 and EDC16 ECUs do not allow full access to the entire file through the DLC. But Jeff or some of our tuning folks could probably give a better explanation of this. I know Jeff had to pull my EDC16 ECU out of my Passat to do the full 10M flash.

Either way, R&R of the ECU is not that big of a deal, generally. I think most D-max trucks have it right on the battery tray, near the fan shroud?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
According to Chris at Revo, the problem is not in reading or writing to the memory in the ECU. The problem is that the ECU has a security program in an area of memory that cannot be read or written to via the OBDII connector. This security program will "brick" the ECU if it detects any non standard program. Therefore, on 2010 and newer VWs, this security program must be disabled before a tune can be installed. It is the disabling of this little security app that requires removing of the ECU because it can only be accessed through a diagnostic connector on the ECU circuit board. If this security (protection) program is not disabled, any unauthorized program will brick the ECU. I suspect that the new Passats use the same sort of security program as the 2010+ Jettas and Golfs. Different tuners probably have different ways of re-writing, modifying, or disabling this security program, but the end result is the same. With Revo, once this security program is disabled, the ECU can be flashed as often as desired through the OBDII port. However, if VW does any ECU update with their computers, the security program is re-enabled and the ECU must be removed again and the security program disabled again before re-tuning.

Have Fun!

Don

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
What Don said.

The edc17 ecu used in the Passat is similar to the one used in say a jetta but has a different processor. Each processor requires a slightly different procedure to unlock and then even two ecus with the same processors depending on which version of the security it has may have different software tools needed. The lock is also regional, the same ecu ID in two different countries one may be locked and one may not be it is completely random.

Siemens then has yet another completely different unlocking procedure.

A bricked ecu can be recovered by flashing it with a true stock file, it does not need to be replaced luckily.