1000000 mile 1991 Chevy Silverado

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
from: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2008/02/01/truck.html?sid=101
linked also from Vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3662998

Wisconsin man soon to put millionth mile on his 1991 Chevy Silverado

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:22 AM

Associated Press
MEDFORD, Wis.—Frank Oresnik is on the verge of making history driving his old standby — the pickup truck he says is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.
Oresnik took the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado to the Oil Ex-Change Quick Lube in Medford yesterday for what he expects will be its last oil change and tuneup before hitting the magic number.
He said the truck is 1,200 miles from a million, and once he hits the mark he will retire the vehicle.
"I feel almost like the longtime NFL player as he goes into his last training camp knowing this is the end," Oresnik said.
He credits proper maintenance and a good measure of luck for allowing the truck to rack up so many miles. He said he's had more than 300 oil changes and tuneups at the Medford business, going in every 3,000 miles.
The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.
He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it. Oresnik uses the vehicle to deliver seafood in three states, putting on about 85,000 miles a year.​

Turbo D

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Tornado red
Yikes, can you imagine how much gas this guy used to drive that truck this far? Maybe 17 MPG??? Hope he has a gas card with cash back incentives.

pete9686

TDI
none yet
Trannies I can believe. But three gas tanks?!?!?!?
They don't call the midwest the rust belt for nothing.

They leave out one tiny little detail. What engine is it? I suspect a small block v-8 or possibly the 4.3 v-6.

Wonder how much gas he put in it? Certainly better than 50,000 gallons.

How long before we see a chevy commercial? I suspect somebody has already talked to him.

Wonder how many million mile toyota pickups are out there?

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
pete9686 said:
They leave out one tiny little detail. What engine is it? I suspect a small block v-8 or possibly the 4.3 v-6.
It's gotta be the SB 305 or 350 engine. Those 4.3 engines get kinda sickly after about 150,000 for some reason that I don't know why. So long as you oil it good, the SB V-8 engines last a really long time, as you can see from this case. I wonder if it was a fuel injected engine? For some reason, I don't think these engines with a carb are as easy to tune to get them to last 1,000,000 miles.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I agree, if that one had a 4.3 V6 then it's a miracle. Bottom end on the V6 isn't as good as the V8's. A Chevy small block V8 will go the distance.

Pretty sure that by '91 they were all fuel injected - in that case, probably TBI single-point throttle-body injection.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
GoFaster said:
I agree, if that one had a 4.3 V6 then it's a miracle. Bottom end on the V6 isn't as good as the V8's. A Chevy small block V8 will go the distance.

Pretty sure that by '91 they were all fuel injected - in that case, probably TBI single-point throttle-body injection.
I had V8 Chevys for a long time. 307, 327, 350 etc. The biggest problem with them is the top end starts to let oil past the seals. On any older V8, when you start approaching 80-90k the valve gudie stem seals start to go. Not a great big deal, but never the less and annoyance. The old carbureted 4bbls were terrible for gass mileage once you started going over 65mph.