First longish trip in my '12 TDI - ~575 miles in one day.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Finally taking the '12 Sportwagen on a medium haul trip tomorrow down to South Georgia for an appointment I have down there, if I just drove down and back it is 287 miles each way via the most convenient route - may make a side trip for lunch so we can get back into Atlanta later to avoid afternoon rush hour traffic.

Filled up yesterday at QuikTrip and ready to rock and roll. Leaving ~5AM so should escape the city before the traffic starts so this should be perfect for a MPG run as it looks to be about 50% on the freeway (75 MPH) and the other 50% is at a more economical 55-65MPH.

I'll report back once I have had ~9-10 hours wheel time in one day to let you know my impressions. I really hope these seats have long haul comfort.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
How did you like the long drive?

I just did my first long trip, a 2500mile trip over the long weekend, seats are awesome, and I managed 8hrs before having to stop for fuel, my blatter was not too happy with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen

Here my mileage. The ~40mpg was bunch of city driving and letting my brother have it for the day to beat on it, he wants to buy one

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Trip went great (although I hate being in cars for that long). Was ~4.5 hours - 287 miles from Atlanta to Woodbine, GA, after that took a side trip from Woodbine to Savannah to grab lunch which was ~1.5 hours and 98 miles, then the run from Savannah back to Atlanta which was ~4 hours and 255 miles.

Car performed admirably. Seats were great for about 8-8.5 hours then the lower back aches started. A/C was able to cool the cabin quickly after the longer 1+ hour stops in Woodbine and Savannah (it was low 90's with heat index in the 100's) - without recirculate mode on had to keep it set on fan speed 3 the majority of the trip, funny enough recirculate would end up too cold.

Fuel economy was not mind blowing and could have been better had we slowed down a little bit. The way down due to a repaving project on I-75 we lost about 30 minutes and it was imperative I made my court appointment so had to run ~85 MPH on the freeway portions, was sitting ~36 MPG once I got onto the 2 lane state roads with 55 MPH speed limits (ran ~62-63 in those sections) which ended me at 38.1 MPG per the MFD once we made it to Woodbine. My other half who has even more a lead foot than myself drove from Woodbine to Savannah and Savannah back home - dragged the trip average down to 36.5 MPG. He was running 85-90 MPH so that really killed fuel economy.

Performance was decent - highway passing power is a little soft once you get north of ~70 MPH (mind you I came from a Mercedes V6 with 268 HP that pulled like a freight train well past triple digit speeds). I love the DSG gear box more and more I drive with its no delay downshifts/upshifts. Only noticed one DPF regen cycles on the way down as there was a significant shudder at 35 MPH when the regen stopped.

Really no complaints at all - its excellent long distance cruiser.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
$2.42.9 a gal!... Errrrrr!!!

Us idiots here in Comifirnia are paying 2x's that.

Its a great hyway cruiser.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d

Well the idiots unfortunately defeated the repeal of prop 6 resulting in higher fuel taxes.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

Well the idiots unfortunately defeated the repeal of prop 6 resulting in higher fuel taxes.
Don't get me wrong Ca has a majority of good fairly conservative people. Unfortunately this is where the voting redisticicting/manipulation has been honed to a science. High taxes, food (used to be breadbasket of the world), housing, transportation. ... Ocean and mountains make up for it somewhat.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
.. Ocean and mountains make up for it somewhat.

Yes the weather here is expensive but I believe I live in the best weather in the US in Northern California, possibly the world. I really don’t mind the gas tax too much since I pay so little income tax on my income that’s 100% from rental properties, less than 3% so fuel tax is easily tolerated by me.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wow just noticed the 2.42/gal above - yeah I'm jealous too. I usually find 2.89/gal at my preferred QuikTrip.

We filled up at a Pilot truck stop just outside Savannah and I think the fuel is rubbish. The pumps were filthy and it did not have the stickers indicating any biodiesel content, overall the station was a dump and the pumps were extremely slow (saw a Volvo XC60 gasser who was filling up longer than I was). My car rattles like an ALH just off idle - can't wait to burn through this tank to get some decent QuikTrip fuel back in there.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Im paying 3.89 a gallon @ Chevron which is a good deal here in this area. I have a new centerfuge sitting that never quite made it to the oil filtering goal for my 04 Passat tdi. We ran 50% motor oil on my sons 7.3 f350 4x4. Free fuel, er, motor oil made fill ups abit more doable.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Ah yeah cheap duty free fuel when i cross into Canada. Here in Texas, diesel ~2.759 a gallon at shell/QT, i normally go Shell as Tmobil tues i save 10c a gallon.