Side Mirrors & blind spot mirrors

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Is it me or are these oddly shapped? I always put small blind spot mirrors usually at the lower left corner drivers side. Anyone use blind spot mirrors on there new passat yet?

Pat1usmc

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
They are shaped weird, you're right. I always put my blind spot mirrors on the bottom inside corner of the mirrors though. Thats what I've always done and I'm used to it now.

cj42

TDI
Are you using round or square ones?

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
yeah the car has some serious blind spots that have been traded off for more safety... ironically.

Im used to driving the bubbles on the mirrors so it never bothered me. I always wondered why they dont just integrate them into the mirrors like on trucks.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Used the stick-on BSM on a bunch of cars and highly recommend them. You local auto store will have 2-3 different types. I use the ones that are about 1x2" in size. I stick them onto both outside mirrors, lower part toward the car.

Make sure to come up with a way to mount them horizontally, I use a level for that.

To remove, don't use force - you might end up cracking the mirror. Instead, use a knife or a box cutter blade and gently "filet" it off.

Da Best mirrors evah were sold in now defunct store chain - the Brookstone

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I agree. Found that they aerodynamic styling loses some real estate on the mirrors creating odd blind spots. I already adjusted my mirror as per click and clack. I have been doing that for years.... :)

cj42

TDI
Its noy only the blind spot for me. I have them adjusted for that with almost no overlap but I use my mirrors for backing up and I hated it when I can't see low to the ground. The blind spot mirrors help to do both. Placing them on the lower outside might not be an option. I might try lower inside corner on this car.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Its noy only the blind spot for me. I have them adjusted for that with almost no overlap but I use my mirrors for backing up and I hated it when I can't see low to the ground. The blind spot mirrors help to do both. Placing them on the lower outside might not be an option. I might try lower inside corner on this car.
Did you turn on the feature that tilts the mirrors down when you put the car in reverse? There is a setting for this on the SEL Premium....I think it has to do with the comfort module with the power seats, so if you don't have the power seats with memory, you may not have this.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
You don't need blind spot mirrors. You need to learn how to adjust your mirrors properly to prevent blind spots. I had been doing this wrong for 50 years and now I know how to do it properly.

Go to the CarTalk.com website and look up how to set your mirrors properly. You will never need those silly stick-ons again.

cj42

TDI
You don't need blind spot mirrors. You need to learn how to adjust your mirrors properly to prevent blind spots. I had been doing this wrong for 50 years and now I know how to do it properly.

Go to the CarTalk.com website and look up how to set your mirrors properly. You will never need those silly stick-ons again.
I always set up my mirrors like that with exception I have them pointed a little lower to help with backing up. Unless you are 6'7" I doubt your mirrors are low enough to see for example a yellow line when backing up far enough. I have been driving a truck since I was a youngster and I am so use to not using review at all when backing up since half the time its blocked anyway. My issue isn't really with a blind spot that is covered with my set up but backing up is the minor issue. No big deal just on a information hunt.

Thanks for the input... A nice small triangular convex blind spot mirror would be great.

Unfortunately I don't think the "auto down" feature is available on the 6MT SE. That would be great.