The thrill is back :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Well, had a plain Jane grey slate 6MT for almost 2 days now and loving it.

I traded in my beast of a car, 02 Q45 (340HP, under 6 sec to 60Mph) and I tell you that I don't feel like I am driving a gutless car now, the torque is nice, she gets up and goes quickly and pulls relentlessly.

Got damn near 50 Mpgs driving yesterday from NJ to Poconos in PA. She climbed the grade from Delaware water gap to Pocono "peaks" in grand style, 6th gear and never broke any sweat. Aint no Rockies, but I am mighty impressed.

Had my first scare - I live in one of the 2 states in the US that mandate "assisted" gas stations. I pull up to a diesel pump, with gas pumps on both side of it, ask for diesel and the sleepy attendant start reaching for gas nozzle :eek: Gotta stay alert !

What still amazes me is just how deceiving the exterior looks - like that of a compact sedan. But then you open the doors and/or pop the trunk and see this vast space inside - on par, almost, with a town car !

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
At some stations in NJ the diesel pump is also the truck pump. Diesel is legal to do self serve in NJ, however most stations are unaware of this or do not care. I have been yelled at at a few but not lately. Good luck on your purchase. Hopefully I will be seeing you eventually for maintenance work.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I live in the other state that don't let you pump your own gas. I have found that every station is a little different on how they deal with self service diesel. It really depends on the Manager, and the Pump Jockey whether you can pump yourself or not.

I have found a Shell Station by my work whose Diesel Pump is labeled "Self Service". This is awesome because the Pump Jockeys usually won't even look at you if you go to that pump to fill. You will get the occasional ask if you need assistance, or double check to let you know it is diesel, but that is really it. I pretty much exclusively fill there just for that reason, even though they can sometimes be a little more expensive. One of my favorite things about owning a diesel is being able to pump yourself. People in the other 48 states don't know how lucky they are!

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I've often wondered why some states wont allow you to pump you're own gas, such as New Jersey and Oregon. But then I found out why on a trip a few years ago to Oregon when I saw - IN ONE DAY - TWO cars driving along the road while on fire.

It's because people light themselves on fire.

oh. and this might be worth sharing at this point.

http://youtu.be/Jtju4jhpZZo

Glad yer enjoying the car!

:cool: