Oil Filter Cap Leaking? High Oil Pressure?

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
So just recently my oil filter cap has started seeping oil (where the cap and the filter housing meet). I have examined the cap and the housing surface, and both are imaculate (free of burs, scratches, chips, ect). I also bought a new o-ring, and it still leaks.

The leak is consistant (every time I drive it) and it leaks on no particular side of the housing.

Is this maybe a sign that my oil pressure is too high?

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Everyone likes pictures:

This is the ammount after just driving around the neigborhood to get up to operating temperature :(.

Also, if it helps trigger any thoughts, the car does seem generally louder lately. Oil level is fine, and oil and filter have only 5,000 miles on them. The o-ring IS indeed in the proper location.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Oil filter cap is torqued to 25 Nm? (or whatever is listed on top on the cap)

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well thanks for the input. I retorqued the cap. Also have a stock ccv system, but I took apart the ccv puck anyway, then checked flow and it looks ok.

I took the filter out, and got the oil out of the filter chamber, and checked the holes and found nothing unusual or anything obvious blocking the holes. There was a spring in one of the holes, but ive gotta assume thats supposed to be there.

Just revving it in the driveway will force oil out, I just don't know what else to check or how to check it :(

Last edited:

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
This is stupid...but check that you only have one upper o-ring (at the top of the threaded portion on the cap). I put a new o-ring on one time without pulling the old one off, so it didn't seal right and oil leaked similar to yours. Wipe everything clean and take a really good look at your cap and the sealing surface of the oil filter housing. I doubt it's anything to do with oil pressure itself, you'd see problems elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
FlyTDI Guy said:
Spring?? Not aware of any spring... :confused:
Uh, in the oil filter housing, inside the hole at the 10 o'clock position? Right? This is supposed to be there?

Stibz, I too have done that, on multiple vehicles :) , but not the case this time.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Well, this isn't the gospel but... I've sucked the oil out of the filter housing most, if not every, time I do an oil change. Never seen a spring in either of the feed/return holes at the bottom of the housing. Not sure what a spring's purpose would be. Is it attached to anything or just sitting there? Again, maybe my getting-older-by-the-minute eyes just never picked up on that but... maybe someone else can confirm or deny the presence of a spring.

Addendum: It certainly looks like there's a breach of some kind at the upper o-ring. Does the filter cap just screw on easily or can you feel the extra resistance of the o-ring as you tighten the last few threads??

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
There is a fair amount of resistance those last few threads.

Last edited:

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well, I can definintely feel a change in resistance as the o-ring contacts the housing, but not so much that it requires a filter wrench or anything.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Jeepmb said:
Well, I can definintely feel a change in resistance as the o-ring contacts the housing, but not so much that it requires a filter wrench or anything.
Correct, it can be screwed on by hand, it's just tight.

I'm OCD so I torque it to spec with a wrench :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Well, that's a weird one... IME, the o-ring offers quite a bit of resistance until you lube it a bit. On removal, you'll see it's flattened significantly on the housing side. Just because nobody has mentioned it yet: You did replace the lower o-ring as well right? You did put the filter in w/the internal baffle down, right? I still think you have an upper o-ring issue. Borrow a friends cap and take a quick run around the block to verify your cap/o-ring are not the issue. Unless the housing's got a hairline crack, it's got to be the cap/o-ring.

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well I guess Ill have to try someone elses to rule out a cap issue. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well I found the solution, even though i'm not quite clear on the cause.

With help from a tdiclub'er, I tried running the motor with the oil filter cap unscrewed a bit, and it DIDN'T LEAK :D .

So I created a thin spacer ring that makes the cap sit higher in the housing, but allows me to tighten the cap down on it.

My only thought is that years of overtightening, coupled with engine heat, deformed the lip of the oil filter cap JUST enough that when tightened normally the o-ring contacted the upper part of the housing threads, causing the leak.

It works well, only thing I don't know about is the position of the center rod that sticks through the oil filter. I know it has an o-ring on it, but im not sure what it actually seals against, and don't know if my spacer will mess up flow or something.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I would replace the cap.

About a spring you mention: I think I recalled seeing one in one of the holes in the bottom of the oil filter housing. I use a Pela oil extractor and suck all the oil out of the housing. If you do not use an oil extractor, you will never see this spring.

Make sure the filter is installed with the word "OBEN" stamped on the end of the filter visible. I guess that is "UP" in German.

--Nate

bulletdoc

TDI
2000 tdi golf
I'm having the same issue on my 03 Golf TDI. I've changed the O-ring three times tighten it down hand tight and the oil just starts pouring out from the O-ring. It seems that the O-ring bulges here and there if I tighten it too much. But if I don't tighten it enough it doesn't seat properly. I was hoping it was a crack in the cap but I cleaned it and checked it thoroughly and there is no crack in the housing or the cap.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'm having the same issue on my 03 Golf TDI. I've changed the O-ring three times tighten it down hand tight and the oil just starts pouring out from the O-ring. It seems that the O-ring bulges here and there if I tighten it too much. But if I don't tighten it enough it doesn't seat properly. I was hoping it was a crack in the cap but I cleaned it and checked it thoroughly and there is no crack in the housing or the cap.
I replaced my cap due to the same issue. No visible cracks, several o rings. New cap finally fixed it.