Upgrade to 5.5 litre washer fluid tank ?

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
Can you put this tank on a mkiv jetta BEW without headlight nozzles?

I want the extra size tank but no desire for headlight nozzles

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it. I will clean it the best I can before I send it to you. Let me know when you get it and when you get it installed.
Post some pics!

Lito

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Anyone able to comment on one of these from Rock auto? Search with part # 1J0955453L

Picture looks correct.

$17.96

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Scott,

Remove the large (front) grommet and use the plug I sent you, when you get it. USPS priority mail. Then take the plug/grommet out of the rear port and put your pump into that hole. you can modify the plug that's in there or re-use your rubber grommet from the old tank. Either one will work, they should be the same.

Please confirm fitment of your existing pump on the rear hole grommet.

Lito

SomeGuySomeWhere

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5-Speed
Cheap 5.5l Washer Tank From Rock Auto.

Cheap 5.5l Washer Tank From Rock Auto.

Front View

Back View

Positives about the tank:
The plastic body of the tank doesn't have any thin or weak spots.

The tank comes with all the necessary plugs and grommets already installed, as well as a cover for the fill hole.

Negatives about the tank:
The finishing is a bit rough. There is mold flash that has been left on the tank, around the mold seams and around the mounting holes. The flash was easy to remove with a file.

The fill hole opening is too narrow for the strainer from the stock MKIV 3l washer tank to fit into. I solved this by using a bastard file to widen the fill hole until the strainer would slide into place. There is still more than enough plastic remaining for strength around the fill hole.

This aftermarket tank is definitely not as pretty as the VW 5.5l tank...but for the price, is highly adequate for it's intended purpose.

I will be installing it into my Golf, hopefully in the near future.

Last edited:

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Fitment can be a pain but it does fit! I removed my fuel filter mount but left the filter connected and rolled it above the coolant tank. Then i had to remove my intake hose from my intercooler to be able to wiggle it in there. But mine is a BEW

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
At the rock auto price I'd callit a must have mod For any mkiv

I run an OEM tank, I probably paid $60 for it, it is worth it, but mainly to keep the water/ methanol injection fead.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Rock auto tank fit perfectly well.

As mentioned, filler hole has to be ground out a bit to fit strainer. Quick job with a die grinder or dremel.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I've bought RA'S fill tanks for another vehicle. Was just fine. I always take out my MK4 strainer when I fill it. It slows down the filling and I'm putting brand new fluid in. What's the point? Overengineering? Is it really necessary? Did you have to make a new hole for relocating the fuel filter? Ty.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I just got one from Rock Auto, and it appears to be well constructed, and no thin spots, mold flash negligible. I did have to take a knife and trim the fill opening just a little to get the original strainer to fit.

I did remove the bumper, headlight, and the intake pipe. Having that headlight out made way more room, and being able to get two hands in there made the install go much easier. The only mod I had to make was removing a small elevated cable tray underneath the original tank.

This is a very worthwhile, inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Placed an order for two of the RockAuto 5.5L washer's....arrived in a very quick timeframe.

Haven't installed but excited to!

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got two of the 5.5L washer reservoirs and noticed they have the headlamp spray plug already installed, which is nice.

One issue I ran into last night was after installing the reservoir and plugging in the pump, I noticed on my pump when I removed it that the nozzle had like a white paper or something around the nozzle. Looks like it was there to make a better seal? I don't know.

Well during the fumbling around installing the canister, I must have moved some of that white paper off the pump nozzle and when I installed it and tested it, I could hear the pump work but nothing was spraying.

I took out the pump, removed the white paper off the nozzle and re-attached it. The pump didn't seem to seal much and I lost all my water from that hole.

The pump nozzle should be black, uncovered right? there shouldn't me any product around the nozzle besides the grommet in the reservoir?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
My pump inlet is black with what appears to be a shaft at the top. The only thing between it and the tank is a black rubber grommet/ seal.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
So I took out my fuel filter and re-seated the pump on the reservoir. It seems I lost the original grommet so I took the one from my OEM VW tank.

I filled it up with water and this morning it was all gone.

I suspect that if my OEM grommet and pump had some kind of paper/coating put on the nozzle, maybe to seal it better, then that grommet may be stretched. I called VW and will be picking up a new grommet after work and hopefully that one will keep all my fluid in the reservoir.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Just wanted to give this a bump and say thanks for the excellent write-up!

cheers,
Phil

I installed the 5.5 liter washer fluid tank in my car today. It was not a technically challenging job, but it was a 'fussy' job, because it is difficult to get the large tank to fit into the space provided for it. I am convinced now that when the VW factory employees assemble a Golf, they begin with the washer fluid tank, and then build everything else - headlight, fuel filter, wiring harness, engine, etc. around it.

I started by removing the bumper. The bumper needs to be removed to allow you to remove the right headlight assembly. It is not difficult to take the bumper off, instructions are in the photo below. You do not need to remove the big rub strip, the licence plate or licence plate frame, or the air guides (items 7) from the bumper - all this stuff can remain in place, because the whole bumper comes off as a single unit.

Bumper Removal Instructions

Next thing to come out was the right headlight. That was simple, just 4 screws at the front of the light. Disconnecting the electrical connector was more difficult. It is easiest to do this if you first remove the little 'door' that the connector is attached to, then remove the connector from the door assembly. Then I removed the two bolts that secure the fuel filter to the edge of the front fender. This allowed me to move the filter a little bit, to get access to the stud and nut that holds the top outside corner of the washer fluid tank in place.

Bumper and headlight removed, original 3 liter tank still in place

Once the headlight was out, and the fuel filter was loose, it was pretty easy to remove the original 3 liter tank. I just removed the two nuts that held the tank in place, wiggled the pump and low level sensor out of the holes they fit into, and took the tank out.

I removed the rubber grommets that hold the pump and the low level sensor in the holes provided in the tank. These are re-used on the 5.5 liter tank.

I purchased a plug to close off the hole on the front of the tank where the headlight washer pump would go. This plug, VW P/N 2D0 955 465B, cost me CA$ 0.51 (about ten cents American) at my local VW dealer.

Sealing Plug to close off unused headlight washer pump hole

It is worth mentioning that it is a lot easier to install the sealing plug, and later the grommets for the low level sensor and the windshield washer pump, if you first put a little dish detergent (liquid soap) on the grommets and plugs. Install the windshield washer pump motor and the low level sensor on the new, larger tank before you attempt to put the new tank assembly into the car. You can't easily get access to these components once the tank is in place.

I then tried to install the larger tank. No go, no matter how much I coaxed and swore at it, it would not fit through the gap. I needed to remove the large plastic air tube that runs from the intercooler to the back of the motor, and to do that, I had to disconnect the two fuel lines that ran across this tube to the fuel filter, and then lift the fuel filter out of the way. Fortunately, all these lines and tubes were just held in place by spring clips. Once I got all this crap out of the way, I was able to fit the new tank in place.

Air tube, fuel lines and fuel filter out of the way, ready to install large tank

Finally, I got the tank installed. Getting it past the 'half-way point' was what was difficult. Once it was in position, it was easy to attach the same two nuts to the same two studs to hold it in place. As you can see, the 5.5 liter tank sticks a long way out into the right hand fender area.

Finally got the big tank in place after 30 minutes of coaxing

All that was left was to hook up the air tube, re-secure the fuel filter mounting bracket, hook up the two fuel lines that went across the air tube, and put the headlight and bumper back in place. Plus remove the inlet filter and cap from the old tank, and put them on the new tank. Total time, not rushing - 3 hours.

If anyone else wants to do this mod, the only part you need to get from Europe is the large tank itself. The plug for the second pump hole you can get locally. No other parts are needed. Because of all the bending and flexing of plastic parts, the job needs to be done in a warm environment.

5.5 Liter tank installed

When the job was all done, I did notice one little problem that I had not anticipated. There is some kind of fluid tank located between the coolant tank and the windshield washer tank. It has a green cap on it, and there are two hoses that come forward out of this tank, pass alongside the inboard side of the washer fluid tank, then bend downwards. When the larger tank is installed, these hoses are displaced about half an inch inboard. I don't think that they will foul against the rotating parts of the motor, but I am concerned that the upper of the two hoses (on my Golf, anyway) does not fit into the moulded slot provided for it on the inboard side of the washer tank. Have a look at the second photo from the bottom, above, and you will see what I mean.

I am going back to Europe later this week, there was a Golf TDI in the showroom of my dealer there last week, if it is still there, I will have another look and see if perhaps different hoses are used when the 5.5 liter tank is installed.

[ February 17, 2002, 22:11: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]