Automatic Transmission

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
ncjdivadancer said:
Did this trans get put in all TDI models from 99-03?

How is the 99-03 auto trans in a gas vw?
Ms. Diva, that trans has been installed for VWs, gas or diesel, for years. It's always been a nightmare.

Best rec: Don't buy a small VW fitted with the automatic transmission.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
ncjdivadancer said:
my 2001 auto jetta has 202,000 miles on it... probably not the original 01m then huh?
Could be, but statistically, they are known to have problems well before that. Some have made it over 200K. The replacement cost is $5K+ for a re-manufactured one that is done right.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
japhi said:
Washington has 575K people so my point stands .

Either way if you've never done a 25 mile commute that takes 90 minutes you have no idea what bumper to bumper is and how using the clutch 500 times a morning can take the fun out of driving a manual. In this application an auto tranny is a better driving experience.

Of course on open road or even non bumper to bumper city driving I'd take a 5 speed any day.

its a real ***** talking on the cell phone, eating a bagel, drinking coffee, and changing out the cd player, while talking on the ham radio, and shaving...:rolleyes:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%^
then your in stop and go and some jerk-off in front of you keeps rolling back on the mountain slope 'cause he's got a manual tranny .....
--------------------------------------------------------------
then there's the cost study done by all the companies in america on their car pool cars about which car is the cheapest to run in the long term,, which pickup, which van.. companies with fleets of 10,000 cars and vans..

check with the att's the ibms, etc see what they changed to and when they changed..

the cost of an auto beat out the cost of the standard over 20 years ago..wait 30 years ago,,no, nearly 40 years ago it was in the 70's as the cost of replacing clutches on the service vans was two times in the average life of the vehicle and the failure of autos before the retirement date of 10 years or 120,000 miles was almost nil... the standards required a fair amount of rebuilding of the colums as the slop would cause them to lockup. (most of you were in diapers when this happen)
####################################
then there's the sport mode and manual mode for the ones who still masterbate and insist on grabbing their penises...every few seconds... beat your chest and burp outloud... trouble is, most of us started there, but most of us out grew "running around trying to see who can pee the highest". You can argue for pissing matches all day and your still arguing for a pissing match. :confused:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
guess you still live in a log cabin with dirt floors and an outdoor toilet because your a real man and carry water in from the well and have no a/c or heater,
no power steering or power brakes, no electric locks or windows. no carpet, rubber flooring and plactic seat covers, am radio and no tint on the windows... your grade level and iq are a match. and you were the first one to shave in elementary school... huuuh...arrrrg,,, gruuurrrp.. ungawwa,,, grrrrrrrrrrrr,,, fart, burp, slurp...

gotta grab something and yank it!!!!:eek: gotta make loud noise,, squeal tires.!!!!!!

gotta have everybody look a me... squeal, grind gears,, rev engine....pop clutch....

duh huck ... .duh huck.... duh huck.....:p

gotta play a j foyt!! drive like a maniac, tailgate everyone, push em out of my way..:mad:

gotta bang head and penis on wall!!!:eek::eek:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the other day my lawn mower wouldnt start, so I took all my power tools out of the garage, line em up on the driveway and made em watch, while I proceed to beat the living hell out of that lawn mower.. :mad:

yes, a manual transmission is definately for real men, with real power tools... he-men stuff for the he-man...;)

hell, i shave with a broken whiskey bottle and wipe my butt with a catus, when I'm not roping tornados and peeing-out forest fires. I dug the grand canyon in a week but had to go build mt rushmore otherwise kalifornya would be split in half. I drive a stick,, big stick, big stick with 32 gears and thats just reverse.:(

bugsinrugs

TDI
2001 Jetta automatic
My 01 automatic lost reverse at 65,000 miles.Got a rebuilt one from German Transaxel in Bend,Oregon.Total cost was 3800 with install.Also, automatics need their timing belts replaced at 60,000 miles.I don't know why.I would never get an automatic again.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
bugsinrugs said:
Also, automatics need their timing belts replaced at 60,000 miles.I don't know why.I would never get an automatic again.
Bigger IP, higher load on rubber cam belt :eek:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
SoTxBill said:

its a real ***** talking on the cell phone, eating a bagel, drinking coffee, and changing out the cd player, while talking on the ham radio, and shaving...:rolleyes:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%^
then your in stop and go and some jerk-off in front of you keeps rolling back on the mountain slope 'cause he's got a manual tranny .....
--------------------------------------------------------------
then there's the cost study done by all the companies in america on their car pool cars about which car is the cheapest to run in the long term,, which pickup, which van.. companies with fleets of 10,000 cars and vans..

check with the att's the ibms, etc see what they changed to and when they changed..

the cost of an auto beat out the cost of the standard over 20 years ago..wait 30 years ago,,no, nearly 40 years ago it was in the 70's as the cost of replacing clutches on the service vans was two times in the average life of the vehicle and the failure of autos before the retirement date of 10 years or 120,000 miles was almost nil... the standards required a fair amount of rebuilding of the colums as the slop would cause them to lockup. (most of you were in diapers when this happen)
####################################
then there's the sport mode and manual mode for the ones who still masterbate and insist on grabbing their penises...every few seconds... beat your chest and burp outloud... trouble is, most of us started there, but most of us out grew "running around trying to see who can pee the highest". You can argue for pissing matches all day and your still arguing for a pissing match. :confused:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
guess you still live in a log cabin with dirt floors and an outdoor toilet because your a real man and carry water in from the well and have no a/c or heater,
no power steering or power brakes, no electric locks or windows. no carpet, rubber flooring and plactic seat covers, am radio and no tint on the windows... your grade level and iq are a match. and you were the first one to shave in elementary school... huuuh...arrrrg,,, gruuurrrp.. ungawwa,,, grrrrrrrrrrrr,,, fart, burp, slurp...

gotta grab something and yank it!!!!:eek: gotta make loud noise,, squeal tires.!!!!!!

gotta have everybody look a me... squeal, grind gears,, rev engine....pop clutch....

duh huck ... .duh huck.... duh huck.....:p

gotta play a j foyt!! drive like a maniac, tailgate everyone, push em out of my way..:mad:

gotta bang head and penis on wall!!!:eek:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the other day my lawn mower wouldnt start, so I took all my power tools out of the garage, line em up on the driveway and made em watch, while I proceed to beat the living hell out of that lawn mower.. :mad:

yes, a manual transmission is definately for real men, with real power tools... he-men stuff for the he-man...;)

hell, i shave with a broken whiskey bottle and wipe my butt with a catus, when I'm not roping tornados and peeing-out forest fires. I dug the grand canyon in a week but had to go build mt rushmore otherwise kalifornya would be split in half. I drive a stick,, big stick, big stick with 32 gears and thats just reverse.
:rolleyes:hey, you just described me perfectly!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
General Motor's Turbo Hydromatic 400 rear wheel drive longitudinal transmissions were the best ever built. They were found in almost all big block V8's (366 cubic inches and up) and in most heavy duty GM trucks. They are easy to make even tougher with better sprags, better frictions and valve body/shift kit mods.

The THM 350's among the best for smaller V8's and lighter duty applications. The same upgrades help them too.

No overdrive transmission ever made can match the THM 400 or even the THM 350 for durability and low cost of maintenance and repair.

The Mopar TorqueFlights and Ford C6's are good too, but still fall short of the THM 400 in terms of parasitic losses verses load handling capability.

While there are a few real wheel drive overdrive automatics that are not all that bad, they are way down in a distant 2nd place to the above mentioned 3 speed automatics. I don't count the big Allison transmission the Duramax's use because it is to large to retrofit most vehicles that did not come with it.

But front wheel drive overdrive automatics are generally even more failure prone than RWD OD auto's.

And near the bottom of the FWD OD automatic transmission list is the 01M. The 01M is not the worst transmission ever built, but it can't be too far from it in terms of limited repair options and the extreme cost of replacement. A race ready THM 400 will cost you between $800 and $1200. A regular OEM rebuild can be done for half of that amount. Anything less than $4,000 to fix an 01M is a GREAT DEAL!!! And anything less than $5000 for an OEM level rebuild of an 01M is not a bad price.

Yea, I agree, automatics are GREAT in some cases!!! Just NOT the 01M automatic. I wish I had bought two 5 speed TDI's instead of one auto and one 5 speed.

If automatics are so great, why don't all the big rigs and large straight trucks have them? Hmmmmmm....

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
SoTxBill said:
then your in stop and go and some jerk-off in front of you keeps rolling back on the mountain slope 'cause he's got a manual tranny
Yeah, but it's YOUR fault because you rear-ended him.

SoTxBill said:
the cost of an auto beat out the cost of the standard over 20 years ago..wait 30 years ago,,no, nearly 40 years ago it was in the 70's
Like I said: eight-track technology.

Last edited:

LadiesMan217

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
Yes! Because I LOVE to sit in traffic for 40 mins a day one way, pushing the clutch in and letting it out, without ever actually shifting the gears. Driving a manual is totally awesome! I can now lift my entire car with only my left leg! Driving a manual is great! F-That!
HAHAHAHAHA....:D :D

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
blame torque converters?

so I hit some "traffic" yesterday. bumper-to-bumper. I put it in first and didn't do anything with the clutch. anything. I never hit the brakes either. for ~2-3 miles. I was almost rear-ended several times by no-talent-a$$clowns in their automatically shifted guzzoline-wasting sh!t-mobiles:p

I had fun. it was entertaining to watch all the sheep guzzle away our natural resources (while I patiently sipped them @ ~0.10 GPH) and pump their brakes in utter frustration. gas, brake, honk. honk, gas, brake. gas, gas, honk!

I am convinced 95% of "traffic" is from a bunch of morons in automatics who can't see 1 car ahead and they constantly ride the brakes because it is of no consequence to them. no TDI owners were included with those morons... I think...

the other 5% of "traffic" are legitimate reasons for congestion and gridlock: collisions (what's an "accident?") and demand for roadway exceeding supply, and poorly placed/timed traffic control devices, detours, construction, etc, etc

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Sip'n Diesel said:
so I hit some "traffic" yesterday. bumper-to-bumper. I put it in first and didn't do anything with the clutch. anything. I never hit the brakes either. for ~2-3 miles. I was almost rear-ended several times by no-talent-a$$clowns in their automatically shifted guzzoline-wasting sh!t-mobiles:p

I had fun. it was entertaining to watch all the sheep guzzle away our natural resources (while I patiently sipped them @ ~0.10 GPH) and pump their brakes in utter frustration. gas, brake, honk. honk, gas, brake. gas, gas, honk!

I am convinced 95% of "traffic" is from a bunch of morons in automatics who can't see 1 car ahead and they constantly ride the brakes because it is of no consequence to them. no TDI owners were included with those morons... I think...

the other 5% of "traffic" are legitimate reasons for congestion and gridlock: collisions (what's an "accident?") and demand for roadway exceeding supply, and poorly placed/timed traffic control devices, detours, construction, etc, etc
I wish moar people drove like you... I really appreciate you giving me a gap to cut in front of you... most people tailgate to stop people like me from cutting in on them... but the moar people that are concentrating on everything except driving, hyper-miling, that hot gal/guy in the other lane, cell phone, etc., the moar I can cut and weave my way to the front. I am a hot knife and you are warm butter... :D

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
LurkerMike said:
I wish moar people drove like you... I really appreciate you giving me a gap to cut in front of you... most people tailgate to stop people like me from cutting in on them... but the moar people that are concentrating on everything except driving, hyper-miling, that hot gal/guy in the other lane, cell phone, etc., the moar I can cut and weave my way to the front. I am a hot knife and you are warm butter... :D
LOL most people who do that end up in the same position they started in. I see it every day

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
LurkerMike said:
it's merely a puzzle for time.. how can I get to the front of the pack? ;) but then of course when i see that hot gal in the other lane, i have to ogle and such, so you get ahead of me. LOL.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
LurkerMike said:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
J double R said:
;) but then of course when i see that hot gal in the other lane, i have to ogle and such, so you get ahead of me. LOL.
That actually works. I've gotten a couple dates, one girlfriend, and several phone numbers that way! I''m telling you it's almost as good as online dating! LOL Seriously. I have.

Sip'n Diesel said:
no-talent-a$$clowns
Holy crap that's funny!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I'm glad to see that this caustic discussion has taken a lighter tone. It's really nice.

Kumbaya

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
SoTxBill post 95

thank you that made me laugh out loud :D

i prefer the manual . I find it weird driving a gas automatic ;) because of looking for the glow plug light before starting while trying to press down on the clutch but soon realize everyone in the car looks at me and starts to laugh.

learned to drive stick when i was 6 by my uncles 1980 1 ton chevy (i was standing off two 2 by 4's :D) in his field, one of the best ways to learn ;) lol

Last edited:

ncjdivadancer

TDI
01' Jetta
Recent switch from a 98' manual cabrio (with no ABS) to 01' jetta auto.
I felt like I had more control with the manual, I also felt like it handled better on ice/in snow. During my first snow driving in my jetta I slid through 2 red lights because the stupid thing wouldn't stop... the ABS was going strong, but we were barely slowing down. Thankfully this was early in the morning with not many people on the road.

I'm confident that I would have been able to make both stops nice and straight in my cabrio by throwing it in nuetral and pumping the brakes on my own.
Both have all weather tires; I realize it takes more stopping power to slow down the jetta seeing how its a much heavier car than the cabrio. If I end of keeping the auto jetta-I'm going to need some serious snow tires.

I will say... I LOVE driving the automatic in the city. I've busted both of my ankles (thank you dance career) and the auto is such a sigh of relief for my them.

I am starting to have nightmares about my 01m though...

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
ncjdivadancer said:
I felt like I had more control with the manual, I also felt like it handled better on ice/in snow. During my first snow driving in my jetta I slid through 2 red lights because the stupid thing wouldn't stop... the ABS was going strong, but we were barely slowing down. Thankfully this was early in the morning with not many people on the road.

I'm confident that I would have been able to make both stops nice and straight in my cabrio by throwing it in nuetral and pumping the brakes on my own.
Both have all weather tires; I realize it takes more stopping power to slow down the jetta seeing how its a much heavier car than the cabrio. If I end of keeping the auto jetta-I'm going to need some serious snow tires.

I will say... I LOVE driving the automatic in the city. I've busted both of my ankles (thank you dance career) and the auto is such a sigh of relief for my them.

If you are looking for a great winter tire check these out, may be hard to find in US but worth it if you can. I 've had these for the 5th season now and hardly any signs of wear with approx 50% tread left.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/02/22/winter-tire-test-part-5-gislaved-nord-frost-3.htm

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
ncjdivadancer said:

Firm believer after this past "Global Warming Freeze" that all season tires actually only mean 3 season tires. A set of dedicated snow tires is required to combat the "Global Warming Trend" that has been hitting Ohio with subzero temperatures, ice and snow. I am sure no such events occurred in Michigan though. I learned that stuff about snow tires in the 70s and I had to re-learn it this past winter .... the hard way.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I have Continental Winter Contact TS 810's on my 01 Jetta w/ auto trans . They're studless snow tires. I liked them a LOT the very first season that I had them. They were a HUGE improvement over the all season tires that I previously had. (2 were michellin MXV4's 2 were off-brand)

I actually run them all year around on my car because I simply could not afford dedicated sets of tires, even at used prices.
What I found was that, after 35k miles, I've quickly used up all of my snow tire-ness (for lack of a better word) and I now have really great wet weather tires but not so good winter tires.

Had I used them ONLY as winter tires they would have performed much better for much longer. They did well for almost three winters though. They're still great in the rain.

So I would reccomend them as a dedicated-use snow tire.