Automatic Transmission

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
UFO said:
It may be easy to make "excuses" but it's even easier to tell others how to live their lives as if they aren't doing it right, IYNSHO.
touché.

I'll let it rest with that.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
kcfoxie said:
touché.

I'll let it rest with that.
For my part, I will say that I sometimes do make excuses; I just don't see me ever owning a manual trans, but never say never.

i_dont_golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf tdi gls
buy an IPT performance 01m. i might get their valve body for mine. supposedly increases longevity and really increases performance overall by increasing holding pressure on the clutch packs so they don't slip and wear out prematurely. the full tranny from IPT comes with a low stall tourque converter as well.

biodiesnit

TDI
Jetta coming soon
Not saying to buy the auto, but mine is the 01M and I'm getting ready to turn 170,000 on the car. Bought it with 97k miles and I'm not sure if the tranny fluid was touched before I bought it. Car drives fine (for now), getting 44-45 mpg average ... but I'm certainly nervous after reading everything.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
i_dont_golf said:
buy an IPT performance 01m. i might get their valve body for mine. supposedly increases longevity and really increases performance overall by increasing holding pressure on the clutch packs so they don't slip and wear out prematurely. the full tranny from IPT comes with a low stall tourque converter as well.
Yes, I'm certainly considering IPT as an option, although, T think that their price is very close to that of a VW reman so, IIRC, not much money saved.

A few people here have had at least some success (measured in the short term obviously) with using an IPT valve body.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
biodiesnit said:
Not saying to buy the auto, but mine is the 01M and I'm getting ready to turn 170,000 on the car. Bought it with 97k miles and I'm not sure if the tranny fluid was touched before I bought it. Car drives fine (for now), getting 44-45 mpg average ... but I'm certainly nervous after reading everything.[/quote

I'm at 106k and I didn't change my fluid until 90k for the first time.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
::flamesuit on::

what are your goals?
*passenger diesels are made for economy (MPG)
*automatic transmissions are made for lazy SOBs (Americans)

I can't count the times a thread has appeared with someone trying to figure out why their MPG sucks (relatively speaking), only to discover they have an automatic...

sure, there are people who don't have a choice (they must have automatic if they want to drive.) however, if you want the best MPG and you do have a choice: it's an easy decision

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Bought Whitey, the 2000 TDI automatic with 60k one owner dealer maintained miles in 2006.

Immediately changed to Amsoil ATF (did a lengthy multiple drain and fill to get as much of the OEM ATF out as possible).

Switched to sport mode and turned the adaptive mode off.

Did the KERMA line pressure mod 32 clicks to maximum.

Car sees frequent wheel spinning launches and is driven hard with 357 nozzles, RCII tune and a few other mods. Probably makes around 120 hp or so verses 90 hp stock.

I drain and refill the approximate 2 quarts of ATF every 10k mile oil change and I change the filter every 20k miles. I cut the filters open and inspect. Always some burnt clutch paper chips and sometimes some metal flakes the diameter of a pencil. There is always accumulation of silver "dust" on the magnet. These 01M's seem to really put allot of particles in the ATF and the OEM ATF is not even synthetic. I think one big fail point is excessive wear in the valve body bores from all the particulates the unit generates in the ATF. The 01M seems to me to be very hard on the ATF and VW recommends never changing it. What sense does that make? Keep the ATF fresh, with a fresh additive package and clean of particulates by changing it often. Use a full synthetic ATF to prevent varnish and scum deposits from forming in the valve body... that's my approach.

The car has over 140k miles and shifts better than any 01M did when new in the OEM configuration.

Yes it is a ticking time bomb.

Yes it will fail... eventually.

But the way it is looking and sounding, my 2000 5 speed is going to need a transmission before Whitey's 01M fails... the 5 speed sounds like the input bearing is going out... silent when the clutch is depressed and roars like a jet engine when the clutch is released.

My 01M outlasts my 5 speed? Go figure?

My conclusion:

01M's are the like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get... the bitter nut of early fail, or the sweet taste of odds beating long life... Maybe you can do what I did and extend the life of your 01M and maybe doing what I do to mine will kill yours tomorrow.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Sip'n Diesel said:
what are your goals?
*passenger diesels are made for economy (MPG)

I can't count the times a thread has appeared with someone trying to figure out why their MPG sucks (relatively speaking), only to discover they have an automatic...

sure, there are people who don't have a choice (they must have automatic if they want to drive.) however, if you want the best MPG and you do have a choice: it's an easy decision
That is SO true! You don't remember, Sip N Diesel, as it was a few years before you joined, but I started a thread about my crap fuel mileage and, like all my threads, it went on for like 10 pages. (that was when I FIRST became unpopular here) I was new t the forum and the TDI then and I was PISSED when I learned about the 10 mpg hit my 01M gave me. (I had purchased the car under the un-infrmed assumption that, like a gas powered car, the auto would cost 3-5 mpg so I expected a minimum of 40mpg) Eventually, I came to terms with it and learned to love it.

(In fact, we 01M owners should start a counter thread to How I learned to love the manual swap and title it Dr. Strange...IDK(something) or How I learned to stop worrying and love the 01M. (or love the bomb since everyone says it's a bomb lol)

But you're totally right, though; no one can deny your argument.

theb04

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon
I'm Quikly learning That these TDI's (at least the manuals) are driven by pretencious pricks. For some reason there seems to be a notion that Standards are a man's Transmission... I got news for ya, your driving a F***in VW. I like these cars and I will buy one but it's not to prove my manhood( I don't need to). Some advise... If someone asks a question just answer the F'n Question and forget the pissing match. It's just a car.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
theb04 said:
I'm Quikly learning That these TDI's (at least the manuals) are driven by pretencious pricks. For some reason there seems to be a notion that Standards are a man's Transmission... I got news for ya, your driving a F***in VW. I like these cars and I will buy one but it's not to prove my manhood( I don't need to). Some advise... If someone asks a question just answer the F'n Question and forget the pissing match. It's just a car.
LOL WOW!!!!

RichmondKYtdi

theb04 said:
I'm Quikly learning That these TDI's (at least the manuals) are driven by pretencious pricks.
Now i agree there are some here on this website who are picky about what they drive, but in the chance you ever meet up at a GTG for some service help or at the TDIfest, i am pretty sure you will take back that statement. It is a shame that an advice question can't be taken in by the poster as just that, everyone has there own opinion, we don't have to call each other names because of it. So if you start off you first post with that, i am not sure this site will be the place for you.

I see myself as a neutral poster because i own 1 of each, a manual and an auto. Lastly, when some of these guys pretty much live in their cars (me as a case in point, 60,000 miles a year) You get to feel like you understand just about everything there is about your car. I offically call for everyone who has posted to relax. Life is too short.

pit

TDI
jetta tdi 2005
how to check the level in trans auto,

Ineed to now how to check the level ine my trans , I got a jetta TDI 2005, 5 speed auto, trans , I got the VAG com for the temp, but i juste dont now the temp, and the plug ???:confused:
Thanks !!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
pit said:
Ineed to now how to check the level ine my trans , I got a jetta TDI 2005, 5 speed auto, trans , I got the VAG com for the temp, but i juste dont now the temp, and the plug ???:confused:
Thanks !!
Just check for leaks. If there are no leaks, leave it alone. I have yet to run into any leaks on the 09A.

You check the level via the check plug, in the bottom. But like I said, no reason to mess with it if there are no leaks.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
theb04 said:
No denying it's just a car; but there are fundamental differences at play here. Those who have this paranoid fear of "I can't learn a stick" have a mental block that sells them short. In my eyes its like a 4 year old falling off their bike for the first time and swearing it off for life.

I've got a coworker who is hell bent on getting an auto because she feels she's not an experienced driver and she will cause an accident if she's in something unfamailar. I deal with unfamailar every day as part of my job, not to mention rude people with many more degrees than I'll ever attempt to achieve, and somehow I manage. I taught myself in a used car parking lot (buddy's dad owned the place) in a 99 New Beetle. I was the kid my dad wrote off as "never going to get it."

In the end, my long range in the tank and minimal upkeep (to be honest the 2006 is the firsst manual in many hundred thousands of miles I've replaced a clutch in; thanks crappy DMF) is why I like the manual. The reason this is a passionate and heated debate is because as more people succumb to the mentality that they are incapable of shifting their own gears, those of us who expect that extra 10MPG out of the car are now stuck with settling for an automatic or attempting to import.

It only takes one to ruin it for many. That is how this country works.

So I'm sorry if I seem a bit biased; I am, I want to keep my options open and that means getting some folks to realize that they don't need the automatic and they can indeed survive just fine with a manual.

I still think kids should be required to drive a stick to get their drivers license. I am so not alone in my sentiment. But opinions are like bungholes, everyone's got one and they all stink.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
RichmondKYtdi said:
Now i agree there are some here on this website who are picky about what they drive, but in the chance you ever meet up at a GTG for some service help or at the TDIfest, i am pretty sure you will take back that statement. It is a shame that an advice question can't be taken in by the poster as just that, everyone has there own opinion, we don't have to call each other names because of it. So if you start off you first post with that, i am not sure this site will be the place for you.

I see myself as a neutral poster because i own 1 of each, a manual and an auto. Lastly, when some of these guys pretty much live in their cars (me as a case in point, 60,000 miles a year) You get to feel like you understand just about everything there is about your car. I offically call for everyone who has posted to relax. Life is too short.
It must be an internets thing then; the "pretentious prick" thing comes across on this site stronger than just about anything else.

ahardy4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I've got 170K on my 01M, bought the car with an automatic because it was A) cheap, and B) wife liked the auto better. I prefer manuals myself, but she drives the car more than I do. IMHO the auto v. manual debate just boils down to a personal choice, especially with the newer auto transmissions. Looking at the MPG numbers looks to me like the new autos do almost as well as the manuals. But when it comes right down to it, even the 01M still puts out pretty good economy. I get 44 on the freeway which is good enough for me. Might not be good enough for someone else, to each their own.

Cheers,
Abram

japhi

TDI
Looking for 99-2003 Jetta TDI
I recently bought a 5 speed after doing some research on this forum.

At first I was only considering Auto's and not because I can't drive stick; I took my drivers test at 16 on a 1984 Peugeot and have only had one auto in the last 5 cars.

The reason I wanted an auto is because of my commute. Spend 5 days a week driving from Maple Ridge to Vancouver (1.5 hours) in rush hour and tell me that driving a 5 speed is fun. Bumper to bumper, crawling up and down hills with a manual sucks, and leads to premature clutch wear. Anyone that tells me that it doesn't hasn't driven in big city rush hour. If your town has less than 500K people, sorry you don't know what bumper to bumper means.

Thankfully my new job allows me to commute in non rush hour which is a luxury for most people where I live, not an option.

Like others avoid the auto in the 99-03's and if you need an auto for whatever reason buy another brand of car that make a reliable, repairable auto tranny.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I REALLY, REALLY wanted the 5 speed manual, but we found such a deal on this car ($10,000 for a 2000 NB TDI O1M in 2003) that it was hard to pass up. I bought it with 65,000 miles on it.

Here I am now, with 203,000+ miles, still on the original transmission (so far as I know), been serviced by my direction twice - and I'm getting better MPG than ever (average over the last 20 tanks of 40.5+ mpg).

I've thought about the 5 speed swap, but it will probably be easier to go with a replacement O1M or maybe the IPT when this one finally craps out.

Yes - I would still say avoid if you can - but if you take care of it - maybe you can make the grenade last ... longer than normal, anyway.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
japhi said:
I recently bought a 5 speed after doing some research on this forum.

At first I was only considering Auto's and not because I can't drive stick; I took my drivers test at 16 on a 1984 Peugeot and have only had one auto in the last 5 cars.

The reason I wanted an auto is because of my commute. Spend 5 days a week driving from Maple Ridge to Vancouver (1.5 hours) in rush hour and tell me that driving a 5 speed is fun. Bumper to bumper, crawling up and down hills with a manual sucks, and leads to premature clutch wear. Anyone that tells me that it doesn't hasn't driven in big city rush hour. If your town has less than 500K people, sorry you don't know what bumper to bumper means.
You obviously haven't been to Washington DC. Trust me - it was bad enough 10 years ago - I can't imagine the situation improving much since then. And I was driving manuals only then (the NB is the first automatic I have owned since 1983).

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I drove manuals for thirty seven years the last seventeen in a two hour commute with about an hours worth of stop and go. What a relief a five speed autotrans is! So far 116,000 miles and the trans is smooth plus the tiptronic can give you the illusion of shifting gears... ok I'm lying about that, but I don't miss feathering the clutch for fourteen miles through Philadelphia. Yeah, you don't have as much fun on weekends on curvy roads, but 600 of my weekly miles are flat highway. Flat highway, cruise control, auto trans... they're made for each other. Get the model with the 09A and you'll be happy.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
it's not just a car! it's the future!

theb04 said:
so... you don't urinate standing up, then, I take it...:p
FL2AK-tdi said:
That is SO true! You don't remember, Sip N Diesel, as it was a few years before you joined, but I started a thread about my crap fuel mileage and, like all my threads, it went on for like 10 pages. (that was when I FIRST became unpopular here) I was new t the forum and the TDI then and I was PISSED when I learned about the 10 mpg hit my 01M gave me. (I had purchased the car under the un-infrmed assumption that, like a gas powered car, the auto would cost 3-5 mpg so I expected a minimum of 40mpg) Eventually, I came to terms with it and learned to love it.

(In fact, we 01M owners should start a counter thread to How I learned to love the manual swap and title it Dr. Strange...IDK(something) or How I learned to stop worrying and love the 01M. (or love the bomb since everyone says it's a bomb lol)

But you're totally right, though; no one can deny your argument.
despite how popular or unpopular you think you are here, or if we disagree/agree, you are one of the more prominent members here and I look up to you for your knowledge, experience, and opinions. I think it's fantastic that you are a history teacher!

when I purchased my TDI, I knew jack sh!t about them. I did not go out seeking a manual transmission, like the pretentious prick that I am:rolleyes:, I simply went TDI hunting. when I finally found some, my choices were between what I now own and a MKV automatic. I had never driven a manual before (outside of friend's dirtbikes) and I was terrified about what I should purchase. :eek:I couldn't even get the poor girl into 1st gear! the salesman actually got pissed off at how uncoordinated I was. so what did I do? I bought a car I could not even physically operate! my dad drove it home while I followed in the 300M (that's all a Chrysler is good for now, eh?) I must have stalled her out 20 times in a big empty parking lot before I was sucessful at getting 1st gear. I hope to never smell that burning stench from my car again:eek:! once I realized that you don't need any throttle (or close to none, like TPS=1) to engage 1st, it was a piece of cake. I'm still improving my skills, and every day I am more confident in my abilites

I will never drive an automatic again unless it's some POS SUV or I have no choice. nothing beats coasting in gear without worrying about a crapbox downshifting, crawling up inclines with no throttle, and rev-matching downshifts, etc. there are too many things you can't do with an automatic

if 35, or 40, or even 45 MPG is "good enough" for you... you're livin in the past, these engines are capable of so much more. 50 MPG should be the minimum benchmark, but like everything I type on here: JMHO:cool:

theb04: did you learn to spell from these guys:

:p

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
theb04 said:

First, welcome to the club. From a review of your above post, it appears that you harbor some hostilities, which is unfortunate since you only recently joined this club. Most of us are "enthusiasts". Yes, we bantor back and forth and if it gets out of hand the moderators are quick to intervene with their pearls of wisdom. It usually ends there.

As enthusiasts, we do not look at our rides like they are Hondas ..... er, plain vanilla cars that encompasses the excitement of watching paint dry. A "VW" as you call it, is found on the Vortex forum, not this site. We own a special class of vehicle (or at least we think so) called a "tdi". It is a small percentage of vehicles available to the general public. As far as the opinions of various transmissions, here is an unbiased review of the latest automatic/hybrid tranny (i.e. DSG) from a fellow "painter".

Originally Posted by Boston Globe said:
Come to a stop, however, and the Jetta’s smooth demeanor vanishes and the quality controversies reappear. At first you’ll think the only jerk in the car is you – after all, every brake pedal has a different initial bite and feel. But after a few more times, the culprit becomes obvious: it’s the 6-speed Direct Shift Gearbox, Volkswagen’s version of the latest transmission fad, the dual-clutch automatic.

The dual-clutch is a true hybrid transmission. It shifts automatically, but unlike a conventional automatic, there’s no torque converter. Instead, the gearbox is divided in two: one clutch controls the odd gears, while another controls the even gears. During a shift, the inactive clutch pre-engages the next gear while the active clutch disengages the current gear. This results in quicker upshifts without the lag of a typical automatic, or the momentary cutoff in fuel as required by a manual.
On paper, it sounds great to have this advanced gearbox in an average car, the same in principle as the 7-speeds on the latest Porsche 911 and Volkswagen’s 253-mile-per-hour Bugatti Veyron. On the way up, shifts are indeed quick and smooth, delightful even, thanks to the diesel four-cylinder’s generous 236 pound-feet of torque. But like a drug addict, the high literally comes crashing down.

In every transmission mode, the DSG delivers abrupt downshifts from third gear. It's mild for the most part, but the forced engine braking ruins the ability to coast and stop gently, even with the lightest of brake pressure. Stop-and-go traffic makes you realize what it’s like to be a bobble-head doll, and the DSG even has the audacity to shift into first while the car is still moving. There’s no rev-matching feature to abate the feeling, and it never goes away. Granted, it’s helpful for engine braking, but that should be the sole job of the Tiptronic mode. In short, the DSG - at least in the Jetta TDI - feels sloppy and better suited for high-performance cars where a jerky ride is more of an expected shortcoming.

Thankfully, there’s a 6-speed manual that will happily accept your own downshifts and save you $1,100. Even if you’re halfway decent, you can do it better.
The manual transmissions offered for the tdi have been hands down superior both in price, performance and longevity to all the automatic/hybrid alternatives for the tdi. The manual transmissions give one unparalleled control over their car versus the automatic/hybrid alternative. Some of the automatics previously offered were just abysmal (i.e. the o1m8u2). Anyway, welcome to the club and try not to take things so seriously. :)

japhi

TDI
scooperhsd said:
You obviously haven't been to Washington DC. Trust me - it was bad enough 10 years ago - I can't imagine the situation improving much since then. And I was driving manuals only then (the NB is the first automatic I have owned since 1983).
Washington has 575K people so my point stands :p.

Either way if you've never done a 25 mile commute that takes 90 minutes you have no idea what bumper to bumper is and how using the clutch 500 times a morning can take the fun out of driving a manual. In this application an auto tranny is a better driving experience.

Of course on open road or even non bumper to bumper city driving I'd take a 5 speed any day.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
japhi said:
Washington has 575K people so my point stands :p.

Either way if you've never done a 25 mile commute that takes 90 minutes you have no idea what bumper to bumper is and how using the clutch 500 times a morning can take the fun out of driving a manual. In this application an auto tranny is a better driving experience.

Of course on open road or even non bumper to bumper city driving I'd take a 5 speed any day.
Why can't you Park and Ride? I'm just curious. if I had that option I'd take it in a heart beat, my company will pay for a transit ticket and I'd like to NOT have a 2-year old car with 80,000 miles.

japhi

TDI
kcfoxie said:
Why can't you Park and Ride? I'm just curious. if I had that option I'd take it in a heart beat, my company will pay for a transit ticket and I'd like to NOT have a 2-year old car with 80,000 miles.
Based on your responses in this thread, you have a pretty narrow world view...

I'm in sales so I am on the road doing sales calls during the day. I can't take a bus or cab to meetings.

Also, not all cities have good transit systems. The Lower Mainland of Vancouver has rivers disecting it so traffic gets plugged up at the bridges. For me to take a bus to work would be close to 2 hours. Light rail would be a little shorter but I would have to transfer.

If I took your earlier advice and left early I would have to leave my house at 5:30 to get to work by 6:15 and then leave the downtown after 6pm to get home by 7. 13.5 hour day to drive a five speed, no thanks.

Believe it or not this is the reality for tens of thousands of people where I live and in big cities across NA. For certain driving patterns an auto is a better option no matter how you cut it.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
There is a reason why automatics are popular among the general population in the US, and it's not because we are stupid.

I'm happy to row my own on the track, but in a routine commute I'd rather save my energy for more productive things other than exercise my left leg and right arm for not much reward.

I have the impression that if VW actually made a good automatic that delivered better mileage and reliability, this forum would be less defensive and not try to overcompensate by putting them down.

ahardy4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
thebigarniedog said:
As enthusiasts, we do not look at our rides like they are Hondas ..... er, plain vanilla cars that encompasses the excitement of watching paint dry.
Come now lets be fair, Honda has made some pretty fun cars and there is something to be said for a car that just keeps running :).