Buying a mk6 2.0 today, tips, suggestions, etc...

DayMan8404

TDI
MK6 Jetta TDI Premium
I previously owned a 2012 mk6, but sold it after dieselgate. My 2002 Honda Civic decided it didn't want a transmission anymore on the interstate during D.C. rush hour, so today I'm purchasing a 2013 w/ premium. Since I've been out of the TDI game for a while, I'm wondering if you have any tips or suggestions to get the most out of my new ride in regards to economy, mileage, cost-effective upgrades, etc... Thanks everyone!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read here a bit. It is all here. No use going over it all again and again. Shouldn't be much different than your old 2012. If you took care of it properly then the same should apply to the 2013. Get the maintenance schedule (can be found here) and follow it. If you don't have a mechanic yet check the trusted mechanics list here to see if anyone is near you. A VCDS cable is good to have to help with services if you do them and to trouble shoot issues and codes. Good luck and welcome back! There are no cost effective upgrades. They all cost money and only provide a feel good for the owner. The car as it stands is just fine.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Readers Digest version:

Oil and filter 507 spec oil every 10k miles
Fuel filter every 20k miles
Air filter as needed depending on where you live (dirt roads or all asphalt)
Cabin filter as needed
Rotate tires every 5k - 10k dependent on how much your roads suck

Tunes help mpg a "little" but make the car more fun to drive with improved throttle response. Tunes are subjective, everyone has their fav (Malone, Kerma, Rawtek, etc)
Deletes available for "off road use only" but will delete your dieselgate warranty as well. (Rawtek, Darkside, etc)

Good luck. I had (2) 2011 TDIs that were crushed by VW, then bought and sold a 2015 CDI Cruze, then went back to a 2013 TDI JSW to play. Only minor complaints of my TDI, so fun to drive and I plan on keeping it for a very long time, since they will become rare considering probably 60% of dieselgate cars were destroyed.