Has anyone dealt with Bill 87turboquttro??? any feed back?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
so you want someone banned for one incident that NONE of us know both sides completely?
I understand that no matter what I say, he says, may or may not change the outcome to the story,if you think about it, bottom line is he still has a head and cam that he did not pay for, I even paid for the shipping,,, ,,, , if this is not an eye opener for members I do not know what will , on the other hand I wish I had known more about him before making any deals, I am shocked on how many Pm's I am getting from members that are very upset with him and would like to keep it in a low profile, which that I respect too.

Any of the many good an honest vendors or members that we have on this forum would have dealt with this issue with great respect and I bet you that they would not hide or run away, any dealings that I've done in the past here in this forum have been great , except for this one.

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
So who did the valve job Bill or Frank cause who ever did is the one that sets valve height correct? No reason to be a smart ars just asking questions. If your going to publically flame some one all the facts neeed to be on the table.
Like I said oh so many posts ago, I am NOT a mechanic. However Bill started a bunch of crap by sending me photos of the valve's when he received head in mail and said they were not flush and all wrong.

I actually embarrassed myself by cussing out Frank before doing my homework.

PD valves do not sit flush with head surface, but i did not know that and more importantly, BILL DID NOT KNOW!!!

I had to personally tuck my tail between my legs and call Frank and apologize profusely and even sent him and his wife a peace basket

Even after all of this he still did not have lash adjusted properly and METAL SHAVINGS were evident throughout head.

Last edited:

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
*rolls eyes*

I realize now I'm participating but, FFS Stop trolling the damn thread. This thing should be locked until Bill can say his peace and you guys stop running semantics at MaxRPM edit AND lilredTDI too. Neither of them asked for it, they were giving their personal experience.

Last edit now that I cooled off: Why isn't Bill a registered vendor on this forum if he peddles his wares or services here?

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
*rolls eyes*

I realize now I'm participating but, FFS Stop trolling the god damn thread. This thing should be locked until Bill can say his peace and you guys stop running semantics at MaxRPM edit AND lilredTDI too. Neither of them asked for it, they were giving their personal experience.
No trolling being done here the op clearly ask for others experiences. I have had a good one and will use him again. The story lilred is telling doesnt make al lot of sence to me. Maxs story is black and white sent used parts did not get paid. This may reflect bad on Bill as a person but says nothing about his work. And locking this after would do more harm than good in my opinion. I am sure glad every one doesnt have your mentality. We have a right to ask questions thats all I am doing.

Lilred please answer the question who did the valve job on the head? Becasue if you got a port job and valve job done for 450 thats incredibly cheap. If your not willing to answer questions about your negative experience then maybe you should not post your negative experience. Can you say for sure that those shaving were not there before bill got the head do you know for sure he did not recieve the head damaged.

Last edited:

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
No trolling being done here the op clearly ask for others experiences. I have had a good one and will use him again. The story lilred is telling doesnt make al lot of sence to me.

Lilred please answer the question who did the valve job on the head? Becasue if you got a port job and valve job done for 450 thats incredibly cheap. If your not willing to answer questions about your negative experience then maybe you should not post your negative experience.

He asked for others experience, not for you to badger the people who gave their experience.

Regardless of that point he DID answer your question in fact he was so kind as to answer the same question twice.... Frank repaired the head. Bill ported the head and installed the valves....

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
He asked for others experience, not for you to badger the people who gave their experience.

Regardless of that point he DID answer your question in fact he was so kind as to answer the same question twice.... Frank repaired the head. Bill ported the head and installed the valves....
Let me be more specific who cut the seats, lapped the valves and shaved the head this is the person that sets the depth correct? If Bill was sent a complete head with a fresh valve job why would he set anything other than just port and put back together? This is the only part I dont understand. So we are supposed to take negative feedback like its gods word with out asking questions. REALLY

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'm sure that what Lilredtdi and I are doing is just to share our past bad experience that we had with Bill... Very simpe, if a question is asked here on this thread I'd try to clarify, just like what Lilredtdi is doing,,,,,for me to make everyone else aware is a must, maintaining a high level of respect to every member of this forum has always been my priority as well.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Price quoted to port disassembled head-$450 and a 1-2 week turnaround******Head was sent directly from Frank06 to Bill at my request. Frank had gone through head and repaired an egged lifter hole and installed new valve guides as well as hot tanked head so it was minty new.

Price quoted to assemble head= cam,lifters,valve height-$200

Should have been $650 in total and was there at Bills WAYYYY over a month, and arrived damaged, full of metal shavings and valve heights were completely wrong.
So if Frank rebuilt the head why was Bill setting valve heights? Just trying to understand the whole complaint please dont take personal.
Let me be more specific who cut the seats and shaved the head this is the person that sets the depth correct? If Bill was sent a complete head with a fresh valve job why would he set anything other than just port and put back together? This is the only part I dont understand. So we are supposed to take negative feedback like its gods word with out asking questions. REALLY

I think you should ask questions, that is only fair. He told what Frank did though. He admitted he is no mechanic. He did however admit that Frank only repaired the head, he did not rebuild the head complete, only valve guides were installed.

The fact that metal shavings were left in the head should be enough to show the job wasn't done completely anyway.

I'm not trying to be an ars, just saying you're really asking what has been answered to the best of HIS knowledge. Like you're expecting to get a different answer or something :confused:

edit: the head shouldn't be shaved in any case according to the bentley. The only way I know to have them "decked" is to be heated ( i don't remember what the procedure is called) until they are flat again.

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Like I said oh so many posts ago, I am NOT a mechanic. However Bill started a bunch of crap by sending me photos of the valve's when he received head in mail and said they were not flush and all wrong.

I actually embarrassed myself by cussing out Frank before doing my homework.

PD valves do not sit flush with head surface, but i did not know that and more importantly, BILL DID NOT KNOW!!!

So you are saying Bill felt he needed to redo franks work or what? Is that why the price was higher? There is something missing with this story. Please try to be more clear. You had 2 people work on the same head. Who exactly did what to the head.

FYI i have yet to see a tdi head with flush valves pd or alh.

I am not trying to make any one mad here. But your story still is not clear on who did what. Metal shavings could have been left by either of them how can you be sure who left it.

FYI I do business with both and am happy with Frank and Bill's work.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
I think you should ask questions, that is only fair. He told what Frank did though. He admitted he is no mechanic. He did however admit that Frank only repaired the head, he did not rebuild the head complete, only valve guides were installed.

The fact that metal shavings were left in the head should be enough to show the job wasn't done completely anyway.

I'm not trying to be an ars, just saying you're really asking what has been answered to the best of HIS knowledge. Like you're expecting to get a different answer or something :confused:

edit: the head shouldn't be shaved in any case according to the bentley. The only way I know to have them "decked" is to be heated ( i don't remember what the procedure is called) until they are flat again.
How about you let the person that posted the negative experience answer questions directed at them. 2 people worked on the head just want to know specific details as to who did what. Metal shaving could have been left from either. Any one installing a new head should always flush all ports oil and coolant with brake cleaner and air prior to install. But you are correct metal shavings should not be there.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
*facepalm* he said frank hot tanked the head before shipping it out. I'm not answering for him I was simply quoting what he already said. Whatever I'm done with this thread.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
*facepalm* he said frank hot tanked the head before shipping it out. I'm not answering for him I was simply quoting what he already said. Whatever I'm done with this thread.
hot tanking does not always remove all the shavings.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
All Frank really did was fix the egged lifter and install new valve guides, Bill did the rest.

For a third time I am not a machinist or a mechanic, however I do know the difference between shavings from a mill VS shavings from a die grinder.

The work originated from a timing belt with 25K on it that shredded like horse hair and caused the pistons to kiss some valves. 1 (one) lifter was egged and required a sleeve to be machined.

My mechanic who originally removed the head manufactured a very nice wood box to perfectly cradle head and shipped to Frank, Frank fixed lifter, installed guides and replaced a few valves(cannot remember how many). I then had Frank ship head to Bill which he did in the nice, safe, custom built, wood box.

I had a complete cam kit minus cam UPS's to Bill from BB and my original cam shipped from my mechanics to Colt. Colt made me a stageII cam and shipped to Bill.

Bill ported and assembled entire head so that it would be ready to bolt on and sent it in a crappy cardboard box, virtually unprotected which is why the coolant fitting was fubared and chips were discovered. My mechanic is ANAL and checked the valve lash and discovered more hidden chips and the valves were not properly adjusted.

BTW- The coordination of the cam and BB cam kit was taken care of and shipped to Bill PRIOR to the head even leaving Franks.

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
So you paid frank for a vlave job and bill for another one and the mechanic redid it again. My head hurts. From what you just wrote frank installed the valves, would he not be responsable for the hieght of the valves? Way to many people involved for basic head work any machine shop can do. I am still confused.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So you paid frank for a vlave job and bill for another one and the mechanic redid it again. My head hurts. From what you just wrote frank installed the valves, would he not be responsable for the hieght of the valves? Way to many people involved for basic head work any machine shop can do. I am still confused.
All Frank really did was fix the egged lifter and install new valve guides, Bill did the rest.
here, let me help :)

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
here, let me help :)

It clearly says above frank installed valves how do you do that with out setting them up. My take on what lilred posted is Frank fixed the lifter hole replaced some valves. Frank usualy does all of the valves I would imagine. So with so many different people and the post not making sence and adding up creates confusion.:rolleyes:

If there are so many people unhappy with Bill where are they. Max has a valid complaint lilred's story doesnt jive at all. To many holes in the story.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It clearly says above frank installed valves how do you do that with out setting them up. My take on what lilred posted is Frank fixed the lifter hole replaced some valves. Frank usualy does all of the valves I would imagine. So with so many different people and the post not making sence and adding up creates confusion.:rolleyes:

If there are so many people unhappy with Bill where are they. Max has a valid complaint lilred's story doesnt jive at all. To many holes in the story.
I can see some folks are just troublemakers who happen to have keyboards and web service.

I have no reason to lie or falsify anything. Are you some sort of bought and paid for shell? Is there some good reason you have not addressed the head being poorly packaged and damaged or that the quote more than doubled? You sure seem to have your own parts of my posts you focus on.

Hope my posts assist someone who may be considering using Bill for head porting as I am out of this thread do not think I can add anything more and one poster is trying to goad me.:rolleyes:

Have fun...............

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
wow :eek:

Matt did my headwork. For a reasonable rate, I'm a happy camper

I felt the same way during the Street Toys/Kerma fiasco. Ended up getting a replacement from him though and this one is holding up so far

You never know Bill might work things out

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

Where did you come from anyway? In the year that I've been watching the power enhancements forum, multiple times a day, this is the first, and of the very few posts I have ever seen you post in this section.

You must be a buddy of bills?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Doesn't matter where he came from. Looks like he posts in random sections of the forum, the performance section is no exception..

Either way he has a valid question... He who installs the valves is the one who sets the installed height last time I checked...

I've done business with both Frank AND Bill and have been happy with both, and will continue to do business with both depending on the exact services I need..

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
Bill is atually a nice guy but he is a little hyper when he speaks. I have dealt with him in the past when he rebuild and ported an AHU head for me. I was very happy with the job but this head is laying somewhere in MrChill's shop that he needs to find. As far as confidence, he has a lot of it and he seems to know what he is doing.
Right now, i gave him $200 deposit torward the work to rebuild and port an ALH head but that head turned out to be trashed and he gave the head back to me. I bought another head that i need to get to him and he has not been able to meet up with me yet as he's very busy working on boats for the summer. I need this car done and i am contenplating using someone else if he does not get in touch with me soon.

I am pretty sure he will respond as soon as he has the time and clarify this.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Where did you come from anyway? In the year that I've been watching the power enhancements forum, multiple times a day, this is the first, and of the very few posts I have ever seen you post in this section.

You must be a buddy of bills?

I came from my momma same as you.:D Wow so you mean you remember every one you see in a forum. :rolleyes:Wow thats some memory you have. Just because I dont post a lot doesnt mean anything bro.
:eek:
My only point is with 2 different people working on the head before the mechanic said it was messed up it makes it hard to pinpoint who did what. Unless the porting is wrong. And if lilred expected a port and valve job for 450 is insaine. I price port work from several people and all quoted over 700 just for porting then the valve job was extra. Lilred also never said anything about frank doing valve work also until I goaded it out of him or her. I have a feeling there is still more to the story.
Lilred can you post messages or emails where Bill quoted you 450 for all that work?
The coolant fitting and metal shavings are an easy fix. No one should ever install a head with out flushing out all ports with brake clean and air. To me these complaints are minor.:cool:
I do hope max gets a resolution to his problem he has a valid claim. I would still like to hear from all these other unhappy people behind the scenes.:rolleyes:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would expect a head to be completely cleaned of shavings, debris old gaskets etc. before assembly.

"Brake clean" is probably a bad thing to use to flush out the ports because if it gets on the valve stem seals it will cause them to swell. Read what it says on the can about brake cleaner coming in contact with rubber.

Also, "brake clean" would wash the assembly lube off of the exposed part of the valve stems.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
meh, so far I've had to clean almost every head before installing regardless of where it gets done.. As far as the assembly lube getting washed off, you aren't cleaning a head with the cam installed so just dab some lube on the top of the stem where the lifter contacts.. That's the part that matters.. Most of the time I'll put the engine oil in with the valve cover off so I can give all the new parts a bath in fresh oil..

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
I would expect a head to be completely cleaned of shavings, debris old gaskets etc. before assembly.

"Brake clean" is probably a bad thing to use to flush out the ports because if it gets on the valve stem seals it will cause them to swell. Read what it says on the can about brake cleaner coming in contact with rubber.

Also, "brake clean" would wash the assembly lube off of the exposed part of the valve stems.

Brake clean will not hurt seals or swell them. I have been using it around seals for 15 years. Never had it swell anything. Although it does say that on the can.

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
As much as I would rather stay out of this thread, I'm an automotive machinist and need to say a few things about the current situation.

After reading the entire thread I can see that Frank06's job was to repair a damaged lifter bore and replace the guides then ship it to Bill for porting, valve job and assembly. Seems pretty cut and dry so I'm not sure why there is confusion on who did what. Its easier to keep track of parts when shipping a cylinder head to just assemble it then putting it all in little baggies and hoping UPS doesn't smash the box open and loose a bag of keepers which is probably why Frank shipped it like that.

Installing the valves in a head is NOT a valve job and should not be confused with one. A valve job means that the valve's seating face is ground and the valve seat is machined to match. From reading the thread all Frank did was assemble the head, not a valve job.

There is no valve lash to set on a PD head since it uses a hydraulic lifter. "valve adjustment" used earlier in this thread could refer to the valve's protrusion above the deck or the install height of the valve spring.

As for the issue of price increases after a price is agreed upon, its just not right and not the way to do business. If there was a problem with the cylinder head or something was left out of the original quote the customer should be contacted for approval before continuing.

This notion that VW TDI heads cannot be resurfaced is a load of BS, they fit in the machine just fine.... I resurfaced my head and decked my block.:p
If a cylinder head is warped beyond the maximum warped spec or the camshaft will no longer turn freely it needs to be flame straightened before it can be resurfaced. Flame straightening will not fix brineling or low spots on the deck surface which would not hold the head gasket properly, to fix that the head needs to be resurfaced. Take a look at the Bentley spec for valve guide wear, its absurdly loose. IIRC the valve head can move up to .049" before the guide needs to be replaced, when I first read that I had to go back and re-read it, then check another manual to see if it was a typo, sadly it is not.:eek:

Yes, porting does suck, I do it all the time and its difficult to remove enough material in the correct spots fast enough to stay effective and affordable. Porting my own projects is almost enjoyable. I just finished up a Volvo 5 cylinder head for a friend of mine, about 15 hours went into porting, then it got a valve job, lash adjustment, resurfaced the deck and exhaust manifold face, ported and resurfaced the exhaust manifold, ported the intake manifold and assembled it, took about a full month to finish it. Next I'm porting some SB chevy heads for my cousin, I just cant seem to stay away from the die grinders...

~Alex