violent blown turbo

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
2001 jetta auto .218000 miles...owned for 15years or so.now .rc1 or 2 (can't remember?).. stock otherwise sat for several months ( have newer TDI's now..)..started it up every now and then.revved it up in park ..turbo sounded fine just before this...took it out for a quick drive (first drive for a long time) (2 miles)..gunned it to about 4000 rpm's..and BOOM!! rear view mirror showed parts flying out on the road..plumes of smoke..was about 1/4 mile form my shop...put on lift ..turbo blown and split in half...oil everywhere..intake hose off turbo (not broken, just clean off).ran vcds and only shows maf error. p0101 (code wasn't there before)just wondering. what would cause it to blow..from sitting so long? or just bad luck..anything to look for that caused this? Thanx! gonna have to get another one..do a egr delete probably with new turbo install..poor car.. just 2 days before Hurricane Michael dropped a large branch on the quarter panel..damn..appreciate any thoughts..always just loved this car!..was getting her ready to drive around again and all this happened:(

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
c'mon..all I'm asking is is there anything besides a failed bearing,vane,or lack of lubrication that can cause a turbo to blow like that?? anything else to avoid this happening again? Thanx

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, my response will not be what you want to hear. Since being a member here, I've read story after story similar to yours ............ 4000 RPMs and beyond! Why? Really!

Yes, I suppose something went bonkers with the control (mechanical or otherwise) of the Turbo resulting in RPMs beyond it's limit, like 200,000 or more! If you had a Boost Gauge you probably would have seen 25 PSI or more!

Again! I just don't see the need to take a TDI engine beyond 3600 to 3800 RPMs...no reason at all. Maximum boost is achieved between 2800 and 3400 RPMs depending on the circumstances (down hill, up hill or on the level).

Obviously, you need an other Turbo, used or new! Install a good quality Boost Gauge and you'll be surprised what you see.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Show us pictures and maybe we can come up with better guesses. I don't understand how a turbo can split in half unless the bolts came loose though. There are a lot of other parts that should fail first.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Original poster has an automatic. I don't have an 01m but an 09a and when you get on it shifts happen around 4000 to 4200.
Yep! stomped on it and it downshifted as usual..anyway the intake side split away..the intake turbine is down the road somewhere..the intake hose somehow came off somehow..,,oil everywhere..exhaust turbine housing is intact though...picts attached..soo..any ideas?? why this happened? really appreciate it! well.it says I can't attach photos//why not?..says "I may not attach" been a member here for many years! Pretty sure I have in the past..darn thing wont let me log in for the photos found photos from someone else..same thing pretty much.. http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=89833&title=dead-turbo8&cat=500

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Exhaust side of the Turbo is cast iron, doubt it would grenade under any circumstance, but no doubt take a beating if the shaft broke and the Turbine zapped it at about 150-200,000 RPMs.

The Intake side is obviously aluminum and couldn't hold up against the 150-200,000 RPMs when the shaft breaks and allows the Impeller to zap it.

From the link, I see the pic below is ready to view. Does his pretty much look like yours? If so, it's quite obvious that the Shaft broke and beat the 'ell out of it breaking it loose from the rest of the CHAR.

Or, based on the pic below (from the link) ,the Impeller disintegrated which appears to be the case in those photos..

Sure, the Auto tranny will shift at those higher RPMs and it will do the same at lower RPMs.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
c'mon..all I'm asking is is there anything besides a failed bearing,vane,or lack of lubrication that can cause a turbo to blow like that?? anything else to avoid this happening again? Thanx

So it sat up a while....then boom.

Is it possible that something was able to get into the intake system? Maybe a rodent ate through part of the air filter and stored some acorns for the holidays and you started it up and dislodged Chip and Dale's bounty.

Check from the snowscreen to the turbo. I am only dreaming up possibilities.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't know about the RPM bit seems like I run mine up near red line all the time. Exploding turbo is not real common, I like the foreign object interweb guess or somehow it stopped getting oil.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx guys..the only difference from the picts to mine is the shaft is missing(broken?) in mine.. air intake is not compromised.. so I have not checked both oil lines yet for issues..of course when it blew LOTS of oil came out! idled about 1/4 mile before shut down..freaked me out!..it was quite a bang and the amount of "smoke and parts flying" at the rear was quite astounding! Just glad it happened so close to the shop! Have to decide on another turbo..will be selling probably, so maybe a used or rebuilt one from DUTCh will do..just wondering.. why do most sellers include the exhaust manifold with turbo?? Thanx!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
.....anyway the intake side split away..the intake turbine is down the road somewhere..the intake hose somehow came off somehow..,,oil everywhere..

Thanx guys..the only difference from the picts to mine is the shaft is missing(broken?) in mine.. air intake is not compromised.. ..

why do most sellers include the exhaust manifold with turbo?? Thanx!

Which is it? We are talking Turbo. Or, are you talking about all the piping pre-Turbo, including the Intake which is bolted to the head.

why do most sellers include the exhaust manifold with turbo??
Replacing a Turbo, either way, requires removing it from the engine. Considering the Vane Mechanism is part of the Exhaust side (integral of the Exhaust Manifold), that part of the "Turbo" is as important as just the CHAR.

If the shaft broke, well, there's at least three things that caused it or a combo of, part or all.
1. Oil blockage
2. Over-boost resulting in Turbo RPMs beyond the balance of the Turbine/Shaft/Impeller
3. Something up stream either from the Exhaust or Intake made it to the Turbo.

My guess, #2. Which is anyone's guess as to what caused an over-boost!

EDIT: When you buy just the CHAR (which is probably made in China) you do not get the parts you see in the center pic below (Vane mechanism).

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanx guys..the only difference from the picts to mine is the shaft is missing(broken?) in mine.. air intake is not compromised.. so I have not checked both oil lines yet for issues..of course when it blew LOTS of oil came out! idled about 1/4 mile before shut down..freaked me out!..it was quite a bang and the amount of "smoke and parts flying" at the rear was quite astounding! Just glad it happened so close to the shop! Have to decide on another turbo..will be selling probably, so maybe a used or rebuilt one from DUTCh will do..just wondering.. why do most sellers include the exhaust manifold with turbo?? Thanx!

I’ve got a used OEM turbo available. Msg me for details if you are interested.