Factory Alarm. Cost Benefits?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Just keeps getting better.... I mean, law enforcement and the judicial and penal system SHOULD concentrate on rusted out 20+ year old turd cars being stolen. It is a national epidemic. Don't worry about drugs, guns, human trafficing....for heaven's sake, ARREST THE CRAPPY VOLKSWAGEN THIEVES!

:rolleyes:

I'm deploying a defensive drone above my car at all times. When parked the drone will just hover above and around the car firing a laser at people who get too close or touch it.

Should the car get hit by another car passing by the drone will dispatch a mini drone to follow the other car and aggressively try and bring the car to a stop. The drone will also record any relevant plate or identifying information sending that back to the mothership.

I don't believe this to be excessive in any way.

Steve

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Guys, easy now, for real. Law enforcement doesn’t get to pick and choose whether to arrest the perp of a felony. They’re oath sworn they MUST make the arrest. Especially when you make it idiot proof for them by giving them the security cam video and the GPS trail. Bada bing. Arrest made, book him, onto the next one.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Guys, easy now, for real. Law enforcement doesn’t get to pick and choose whether to arrest the perp of a felony. They’re oath sworn they MUST make the arrest. Especially when you make it idiot proof for them by giving them the security cam video and the GPS trail. Bada bing. Arrest made, book him, onto the next one.

Honestly don't blame you but I'm just making light of it. Camera is ok but not if it's a budget buster IMO.

I have a camera I use on the road but just because driving here has become obnoxious and lots of angry people using vehicles as weapons.

Steve

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta

Have you dealt with the police? You could hand them all your evidence, videos, and GPS, and they aren't going to do s***.

Recently, a friend of mine had his car hit by a hit and run driver. They even got the license plate number. When they filed the police report, they asked, "Are you going to get the guy?" The cops replied, "Don't you have insurance?"

I got hit by a guy without insurance. When my insurance company was trying to get me to pay for the damage, because he was uninsured, I called the police to report the driver was negligent with his insurance documents. The cops asked me why I was calling.

A guy parked in front of my driveway for an entire weekend. I called the cops a dozen times. No one showed up to ticket him or tow it away. I tried to call a wrecker to move it on my behalf, but they wouldn't do it because without a police ticket/report, it would be considered grand theft auto.

I have a dozen more stories. They are under no obligation to arrest anyone cuz your 20-year-old car was stolen.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you dealt with the police? You could hand them all your evidence, videos, and GPS, and they aren't going to do s***.
Suppose the police did nothing for every reported incident. Then why even have police to enforce the law at all?!

Recently, a friend of mine had his car hit by a hit and run driver. They even got the license plate number. When they filed the police report, they asked, "Are you going to get the guy?" The cops replied, "Don't you have insurance?"
Read this:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/consequences-hit-run-accident.html
It sounds like your friend was not injured in that hit and run, so it’s not a criminal offense, so the police aren’t necessarily relevant yet. Your friend had the plate and all necessary info for his insurance co to investigate and upon investigation by insurance the hit and run driver may be found to have committed a criminal misdemeanor at which point the police will get involved and arrest the driver book him etc.
I got hit by a guy without insurance. When my insurance company was trying to get me to pay for the damage, because he was uninsured, I called the police to report the driver was negligent with his insurance documents. The cops asked me why I was calling.
1. Your ins co will first have you pay the “uninsured driver coverage deductible” on the accident, a few hundred dollars maybe, then they try to recover it from the driver thru collections and legal process, and reimburse you if successful.
2. You don’t report uninsured motorist to the police. You report to your ins co, which reports to the DMV, which suspends the drivers registration plate and possibly his license.
A guy parked in front of my driveway for an entire weekend. I called the cops a dozen times. No one showed up to ticket him or tow it away. I tried to call a wrecker to move it on my behalf, but they wouldn't do it because without a police ticket/report, it would be considered grand theft auto.
Sorry to hear about that it sounds like a pain in the butt.
You could’ve had the wrecker move the guy’s vehicle 10 or 20 feet just far enough that you could get in and out of your driveway. Alternatively, those vehicle dollies, four of them, they have four caster wheels per dolly, they go under each wheel and let you push the car very easily, just be careful if you’re on a hill that it doesn’t get away from you and crash or damage something or injure someone. Maybe need two or three people to keep complete control of the stranger’s vehicle while it’s on those dollies.
I have a dozen more stories. They are under no obligation to arrest anyone cuz your 20-year-old car was stolen.
Regardless of the age of my car, theft of my car is a crime in this state, and if the police don’t go arrest the perp for having committed the crime, then I have the right to file a complaint against the officer, against his supervisor, and against the department. They can make the arrest. Takes them an hour, and boosts their crime fighting stats. If they choose not to enforce, they better have some damn good reasons for not enforcing the law as they’re oath sworn to do. If not, goodbye, they lose their job at administrative hearing.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’m beginning to think you’re a troll...

All of your threads seem to be about ridiculous band aid fixes or crazy expectations for a car that’s 20+ years old; all on a shoestring budget.

-Todd

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
If not, goodbye, they lose their job at administrative hearing.

That's not how it works. You have a rosie view of governmental authority. Unless you are a senator's son, they will do nothing if your rusty VW gets stolen.

Instead, invest in ways to get your VW back on your own. GPS, remote-shutoff, with geofenced auto-texting is the way to go. If someone steals your car, you log into your smartphone, click "remote shutoff," and have a friend drive you over to where your car is stalled. By that time, the thieves will give up, and you can drive the car with your spare key.

I'm not sure if he's a troll. That's a lot of work responding to my post for trolling.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
For real, I’ll have the remote shutoff as well.

Let me ask you this though.

When your smartphone gets stolen, and iCloud “Find My iPhone” or Google “Find My Android” tell you the GPS coordinates where it is, guess what the cops tell you, they tell you, “Don’t just go there and try to get it back, the thieves could be armed and injure you, tell us where it is and we’ll go and get it for you.” So then why shouldn’t the cops do the same with your GPS coordinates when you do “Find My VW”?! I guess we will know only if and when theft happens to one of us and the car is gps tracked. :/

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m beginning to think you’re a troll...

All of your threads seem to be about ridiculous band aid fixes or crazy expectations for a car that’s 20+ years old; all on a shoestring budget.
I’m for real, I have no budget/low budget. This will change in a few months probably but for now this is how it is. :(. Twenty year car is just a number to me, I got this TDI because I want it to reach 500,000 miles in style, kinda in freak out mode right now about the probability of major rust you guys predict it should have, I’m looking now at getting a small welder machine and repair it with new metal as required...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I’m for real, I have no budget/low budget. This will change in a few months probably but for now this is how it is. :(. Twenty year car is just a number to me, I got this TDI because I want it to reach 500,000 miles in style, kinda in freak out mode right now about the probability of major rust you guys predict it should have, I’m looking now at getting a small welder machine and repair it with new metal as required...
soon you will be over your crazed MK3 fixation you have. we all have it too. but it fades after so much rust and what not. And when you do, you will realize your wasted time! did you look up birdmans restoration?
this is the level you have to go to in order to get to half a million miles in style.
Heck russians have these mk3s to 1 million miles in a pile of rust and what not.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
For real, I’ll have the remote shutoff as well.

When your smartphone gets stolen.... :/
Some of us won't ever have this problem. Seriously, if you are this paranoid perhaps moving to a less crime ripe area is a better bet.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Some of us won't ever have this problem. Seriously, if you are this paranoid perhaps moving to a less crime ripe area is a better bet.
I’m fine with the area.
We have laws against car theft, they are no good unless we make it simple for the men and women in blue to enforce them.
For about $100 I get a silent alarm gps tracked with video streaming, problem solved.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
You have the best theft deterrent system already installed....
VW & TDI bolted to your car.....
Trust us, No one wants these old POS, especially in Hartford CT.

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
You have the best theft deterrent system already installed....
VW & TDI bolted to your car.....
Trust us, No one wants these old POS, especially in Hartford CT.
I’m not saying people are trying really hard to steal this vehicle, or that it’s the #1 most desirable car for thieves to steal. Far from it.
What I’m saying is, if mine were stolen, my life would be disrupted to an unreal extent.
So I’m putting a few bucks into reducing that risk down to zero.
Now the natural built in 1990s security of the car is very weak esp when you upgrade to current standards and install a push to start button they’re just too easy to take.
What I’m worried about isn’t sophisticated James Bond type car thieves hired by crime lords to steal Lambos and Ferrari to chop for parts in an international exotic car ring for hundred of millions.
I’m worried about a couple of crackheads trying to grab a car to swap for enough cash to get them a few days worth of opioids to feed their addictions.
So you gotta counter the ease of taking this car, with the ultimate in security for dirt cheap, $100 gets you gps track plus streaming video silent alarm. Problem solved I can sleep at night again.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Boy if your life gets "disrupted to an unreal extent" if your rusty 20 year old Jetta gets stolen, I feel sorry for you. I hope things look up for you soon. Better job, better car, better life. Good luck to you.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Lol, he said "mk3" and "in style" in the same sentence.

I mean, I got my start with TDIs with a Mk3 in the early aughts (hence the forum nick)... but never once did I think of it as stylish. I have a big soft spot for them, but I'm also a realist...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
One of my favorite MI memories was taking a road trip in your black 98, when it had the stock-ish suspension. Quite comfortable. I can't even remember where we were going now though!

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I’m worried about a couple of crackheads trying to grab a car to swap for enough cash to get them a few days worth of opioids to feed their addictions.
So you gotta counter the ease of taking this car, with the ultimate in security for dirt cheap, $100 gets you gps track plus streaming video silent alarm. Problem solved I can sleep at night again.

When your smartphone gets stolen, and iCloud “Find My iPhone” or Google “Find My Android” tell you the GPS coordinates where it is, guess what the cops tell you, they tell you, “Don’t just go there and try to get it back, the thieves could be armed and injure you, tell us where it is and we’ll go and get it for you.” So then why shouldn’t the cops do the same with your GPS coordinates when you do “Find My VW”?! I guess we will know only if and when theft happens to one of us and the car is gps tracked. :/

That's a false comparison. A stolen phone is not something you should get yourself. It's too easy to conceal, the criminal can have weapons, they likely might be in a house, etc.

But if you remote shut off a Jetta on I-90, there is no place for the criminal to conceal the vehicle. They will have to abandon the vehicle, because a traffic cop will likely stumble upon it. The last thing a criminal wants is to be caught red-handed trying to start a seemingly dead Jetta in the middle of a road.

Once the criminal has abandoned the car, then go to the car, put in your spare key, and drive it home. Hopefully, the criminal hasn't f-ed up your ignition. If they have, then make sure to have Premium AAA so you can have it towed back to your house.

Cameras are useless. Even if you could get a positive ID of the crackhead that used your Jetta as a urinal, they aren't going to arrest the guy. Maybe they will tack on another charge when the crackhead is inevitably arrested for some other cockamamie drug charge in the future, likely the reason why he's stealing cars for drug money.

I've been to Connecticut. I'm not really convinced the rusty-Jetta-theft-problem is pervasive.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
I appreciate the various points of view shared.
My main goal with investing about $100 for gps tracker plus video streaming and possibly remote shut off, is to have some form of recourse if anything were to happen eg theft vandalism burglary etc.
The one reason I hesitate to do a remote shutoff on a moving jetta is because of the high risk of causing a collision, here’s why: shutoff might lead to circumstances where the steering lock engages, and the thief loses control of the car and front ends an obstacle or an oncoming car. So I’d probably wait til the car isn’t moving to hit the remote shutoff.
And hesitate to go solo to retrieve my stolen car. You don’t know what weapons the thief has. And you don’t know how ticked off they are that you just dashed their expectations of easy cash at the last second. If you go solo and they’re nearby laying in wait, the risk of becoming a victim are high. Best to have a cop along to deter getting ambushed.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
How to pair new keyfob to factory alarm?

The previous owner didn’t include any key fob but did mention the possibility of getting one to have remote lock, unlock, trunk unlock, panic button, etc.
So I’m looking to maybe buy a new four-button keyfob for mk3 for cheap $15.
Suppose I did get this new keyfob.

I’m assuming VW made this wireless alarm keyfob so that you couldn’t open other peoples VWs with your keyfob.
So then obviously each keyfob has a unique ID number and the CCM (factory alarm module) would only listen to commands coming from the keyfob identifying itself with that one unique ID number, isn’t it?
How do you pair a new fob to the built in factory alarm module (CCM) ?!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I appreciate the various points of view shared.
My main goal with investing about $100 for gps tracker plus video streaming and possibly remote shut off, is to have some form of recourse if anything were to happen eg theft vandalism burglary etc.
The one reason I hesitate to do a remote shutoff on a moving jetta is because of the high risk of causing a collision, here’s why: shutoff might lead to circumstances where the steering lock engages, and the thief loses control of the car and front ends an obstacle or an oncoming car. So I’d probably wait til the car isn’t moving to hit the remote shutoff.
And hesitate to go solo to retrieve my stolen car. You don’t know what weapons the thief has. And you don’t know how ticked off they are that you just dashed their expectations of easy cash at the last second. If you go solo and they’re nearby laying in wait, the risk of becoming a victim are high. Best to have a cop along to deter getting ambushed.
Well, the steering lock is mechanical and tied to the position of the key. Any "remote shut off" is liable to be an electronic shut off only, not one that affects the mechanical column lock.

compu_85 said:
One of my favorite MI memories was taking a road trip in your black 98, when it had the stock-ish suspension. Quite comfortable. I can't even remember where we were going now though!
I think we did a couple! I at least remember going to Mid Ohio with you where we camped and watched the ALMS and IndyCar race. Jim Osborne's BRM Jetta was also racing that weekend in SPEED World Challenge. Met up with tooef while in the area.

Definitely made numerous trips to Growler's in Columbus!

The other one I can recall was with Tom too, I think. Went to dieselgranddad's GTG in Wisconsin and then went to Road America the next day for the classic car racing that was going on there.

The big trunk was definitely a nice asset on the old Mk3! hah

After I rebuilt the motor and swapped it into a less rusty GLX shell way back in 2010, I drove it for quite awhile and eventually sold it to a coworker of mine when I was working at the SF Dealer. Might have been late 2014, early 2015. A year later he informs me he leant it to a buddy, it lost coolant suddenly and the guy kept driving it. Barely runs last I heard :/

Oh well. Still driving old beaters for the most part. And enjoying it.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
My "alarm" is a hidden jumper connector that interrupts te ground to the fuel pump. Not that I need it, but nobody except some crazed VW guru would be able to figure it out in the time required to steal an old mk3. :d

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
My "alarm" is a hidden jumper connector that interrupts te ground to the fuel pump. Not that I need it, but nobody except some crazed VW guru would be able to figure it out in the time required to steal an old mk3. :d
Best idea yet! A hidden switch... or even a spare OEM "defrost" or "emergency" switch in a blank spot on the dash... that defeats the stop solenoid.

5 bucks at a wrecker, theft problem solved. :)

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
A long time ago, I put a hidden fuel pump switch to shut off my e-pump on my '88 Ford IDI. The odd thing was, even with zero fuel pressure, the IP was still able to suck a moderate amount of fuel from the tank, so the van was still driveable under 45mph. Kind of disappointed. In the end, I installed a hidden shutoff switch for the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid on the IP. That worked fine.

Granted, this is different than the VW TDI, but thought i'd just share my experience.