Rocket Chip still around?

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I've called, emailed, and texted. No response over the past 1 month. Actually come to think of it, no response from TDTuning either.

Anyone know?

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Busy guy.....and has a life....;)
I'm in work and school full-time, and married with two kids. I don't want any weak ass excuses ;) Jk ... I know those offering a superior product tend to be more inundated. I'm happy to wait so long as I know he's still alive.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
There have been threads like this one the forum ever since I joined.

I got an RC tune at a GTG on my MK4 wagon. Nice guy, great tune. But it does make me wonder how much better business he could have if there was better customer service. But I know growth and profits are not the top priority for everyone and that is okay too.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
But it does make me wonder how much better business he could have if there was better customer service. But I know growth and profits are not the top priority for everyone and that is okay too.
Jeff is a one man show as he can insure the quality of his tunes as not every TDI is up to the same level of maintenance/modifications to support same.

This business model has worked out well for him since I first met him at a GTG doing tunes back in 2003 or so. If there is a complaint about how he works it is getting ahold of him at times but that is also a testimonial to the quality of his tunes/service. I've never had trouble dealing with him but then I talk to him/use his services at GTG's we both attend plus have been to his home base once by pre-arrangement.

He will be at a GTG in Michigan come end of October 2018 as well and I expect tuning to go on all day which is par for the course. ;)

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Ugh, Michigan is so lucky.

I'd have come to a Wisconsin GTG, but only if you guys don't mind my Bluetec.

Maybe Jeff coulda hooked me up again...

Alas, sad. Tears.

Ugh.

:(

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Getting the tune is only part of the issue. Timely service after the fact is also a factor. Being a one man show may work well for him but isn't always workable for the customer. I have liked his tunes in the past but not the inability to contact him in a timely manner afterwards to get work or upgrades done. My last tune was a Malone due to this issue. After support with the Flashzilla has been timely and satisfactory.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
To Lightflyer1 -
I've never needed support after the tune so can't speak to that end of things. Have always gone for a drive after a new tune so the parameters can be logged/checked by Jeff before it is considered officially 'done' in my experience. Do understand your concern for post-tune support and there are more options now for quality tunes than in the past. Go with what works/is comfortable for you.

To andreigbs -
As for a BlueTec Benz at a TDI GTG it would be welcome at the ones I attend in MI. A diesel is a diesel. We've also welcomed former TDI owners who now drive gassers - never know if someone will return to a TDI/diesel. Guess they are more strict about such things at WI GTG's if what you say is true. Doesn't sound right to me but I've never been to one outside of the Lake Mills TDIFest 2005 which wasn't your typical GTG in any event...

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
@251

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Michigan isn't too far, just have to go down around the Lake.

I haven't attended any GTGs in WI yet, I just meant it would be closer for me if the GTG were in WI (obviously), and if nobody minds that I'm not in a VW anymore (or yet!).

I do still have my Passat 1.8T gasser though.

My last GTG was the one in middle Georgia, about 8-10 years ago IIRC.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I bet if you send him some money or buy something that he will respond same day!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
To Lightflyer1 -
I've never needed support after the tune so can't speak to that end of things. Have always gone for a drive after a new tune so the parameters can be logged/checked by Jeff before it is considered officially 'done' in my experience. Do understand your concern for post-tune support and there are more options now for quality tunes than in the past. Go with what works/is comfortable for you.
Not for me as I have a new 2015 and it won't be tuned due to warranty. I just wanted to let others know that there are times when it is handy to be able to have access to the tuner in a timely manner. There have been times when people have wanted to revert back to stock for various reasons or get upgraded tunes due to new mechanical additions and other such things. Not being able to get in contact with the tuner or have him available after the GTG can be a severe drawback. You should consider this when choosing a tuner. Don't get me wrong though. I have had Jeff tune my car twice in the past and he did a very good job. I have also had Malone tunes on 2 different cars, and it was much easier to buy and load myself using a Flashzilla tool. Revert back whenever you want and updates are only an email away.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
@251

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Michigan isn't too far, just have to go down around the Lake.

I haven't attended any GTGs in WI yet, I just meant it would be closer for me if the GTG were in WI (obviously), and if nobody minds that I'm not in a VW anymore (or yet!).

I do still have my Passat 1.8T gasser though.

My last GTG was the one in middle Georgia, about 8-10 years ago IIRC.
andreigbs - What are you doing on Saturday?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=490794

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
@Fixed

Well, since I'm seeing this late (apologies)... Saturday was a chill day, picked up some firewood, tidied up a bit here and there even though still have unpacking and unboxing to do since moving in a month ago.

But I am free most weekends, so if you have any ideas let's talk.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have had both tuners do work for me. Rocketchip Jeff I have spent over $2000 on tunes with him and had him use my shop to do tunes on site for my customers and his. Now he will not return emails and calls so I have old customers I must deal with his tunes.
For TDTUNING I sold his tunes and was a slave to him meaning buying a install cable linked to him it worked well for a few years then Mike dropped out of site, same thing no support. Support for a tune is very important and a simple call back is a must.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have had both tuners do work for me. Rocketchip Jeff I have spent over $2000 on tunes with him and had him use my shop to do tunes on site for my customers and his. Now he will not return emails and calls so I have old customers I must deal with his tunes.
For TDTUNING I sold his tunes and was a slave to him meaning buying a install cable linked to him it worked well for a few years then Mike dropped out of site, same thing no support. Support for a tune is very important and a simple call back is a must.
That's all I needed to hear. Malone it is!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Does that apply to after-purchase support as well?
Here is how I work with Jeff of Rocketchip: I send him an email and say I have an 11mm injection pump, PP520's, VNT17 turbo, stock MAP and I want max power with low smoke. He gives you that precise tune and on full throttle I get a light haze smoke.

Of course I have been a RocketChip guy since 2003.

After purchase support is an odd question which probably applies more to other tuners who let you pick parameters and might need alteration. RocketChip
tunes works out of the box perfect every time.