CANCELLED Impex TDI Fest: Saturday, May 21st, 2016

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Cancelled due to weather see post #87

Impex TDIFest
Saturday, May 21st
9:00 AM – 6:00 PM

WHERE
World Impex
10832 Williamson Lane Bldg. Q
Cockeysville, MD 21030
www.worldimpex.com

PARTS and SUPPLIES

If you are purchasing parts, fluids, or other supplies from World Impex, please order them before the day of the Fest and tell the salesperson that you are in the TDI Fest "gang"; you will get preferred pricing. If you want to order on line you will have to call in to be placed on the Fest list. Pre-orders are most appreciated and, if you place your order early enough, you can pick it up on Fest day. You will be able to buy parts that day, but there’s no guarantee that what you need will be in stock. You can, of course, bring your own, but remember that World Impex supports this annual event as well as TDIFest and this ad-free website.

Please see the note below if you need key replacement/coding.

You are responsible for leaving the Fest with any old parts that you changed out (unless you're leaving a core), or any fluids that you drained.

FOOD

As they did last year, World Impex will be supplying Pit Beef and Bratwurst with all of the trimmings. The attendees will supply the side dishes, salads, deserts, etc. World Impex will also supply the soft drinks and the attendees can bring beer, hard cider, or the poison of their choice, if they wish.

There will be a separate Food Thread for you to sign up and let us know what you are going to bring.

MECHANICAL SERVICES

Please note that this is a PRELIMINARY list of services, which we MIGHT be able to offer if there’s enough interest. If you sign up and we get an adequate number of people for a particular service to warrant having the appropriate technicians on site for the Fest, please do them the courtesy of SHOWING UP!

To have your name put on a list please reply, without quote, or PM me and state in which activities you would like to participate.

If you are interested in anything that is NOT on the list, reply, again without quote, or PM me and we will see if it is an option that can be arranged.

I would like to have my car tuned by Jeff @ RocketChip:
Note: RocketChip is confirmed. As in the past, this list is for information purposes only, and is not the order in which cars will be tuned. Jeff will have his sign up sheet and tuning will be done on a first-come, first-served basis.
MonsterTDI09
NarfBLAST
Raweaver_410

I will need to use a lift to work on my car:
Note: There are three lifts available, but try to keep your projects manageable so as to not tie them up all day.

I would like to have my brakes bled or fluid flushed:
Stealth TDI
ATR
ACHTUNG TDI

I have dents that I would like to have removed (PDR):
Note: Tim Henkel from Dent Wizard has been confirmed.
fkx
tomo366
ATR
Bob S.
Stealth TDI
ACHTUNG TDI
allride

I have alloy wheels that need repair:
MonsterTDI09
Stealth TDI
1854sailor

I am interested in having some paint touch up done:

I need vinyl or cloth upholstery repairs:

I need a windshield installed or chip repair made:
If you need glass replacement you will need to contact Davon directly and give him your vehicle information.
www.autoglassology.com E-mail: AutoGlassology@aol.com
1854sailor - Chip Repair

I want to do a Diesel Purge treatment to my car:

I would like to have my headlight lenses polished:

I am interested in learning how to use VCDS:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MexdT2ofG7qonjwX7f3A2PfDnbcYgrTy8GHHu5_YyVk/viewform
fkx
Bob S.
ATR
allride

I need a new key and fob and want to have it coded to my car:
Note: Impex will need your VIN to have the new key cut and, because of the obvious security reasons, you will need to E-mail or Fax a copy of your Title and Drivers License to Paul, Doug or Will. Order early as it takes a minimum of two days to get the key and have it cut. I will have VAG-TACHO to retrieve your SKC if you do not have it.

I have the following used parts to sell:
Stealth TDI http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460829
jettafock has a set of Koni coilovers for a MK IV Jetta

I am looking for the following used parts:

I am coming to hang out, B.S., and work on my own car or help others work on theirs:
Tomo366
fkx
n1das
1854sailor - I will have VCDS and VAG Tacho
VeeDubTDI
compu_85
donDavide
ATR
Bob S.
NarfBLAST
Stealth TDI
ACHTUNG TDI
red16vdub - Looking for VDS-Pro
jettafock
allride
Raweaver_410
meerschm
ericy
copatdir6
Ron Lee
greasyrides
SVTWEB

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I hope to be there at least until noon. :)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Last edited:

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have dents that I would like to have removed (PDR):
I am interested in learning how to use VCDS:
I am coming to hang out and work on my own car or help others work on theirs:

WeeHa! (and many thanks...)
frank

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
This far out I can't be sure if I'll be there. But I'll try my best to be there :D

Sign me up for dent removal.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Paul; Thanks again for your efforts in organizing this. Please put me down for: 1. Attending. 2. Dent removal.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Count me in, perhaps Diana, too.

I need a dent repaired and I will be bringing some wheels to repair. Brake bleeding? I could probably use that, too. How do I sign up and how's it getting done? Is someone bringing a tool for use? Or is someone just bleeding brakes all day for beer? :) I'm not interested in trying my luck while away from home (never done anything other than my non-ABS Mk3 before). But I'll gladly let someone else do it for a donation/fee. Whatever is the going rate. Details, please?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI

I need a dent repaired and I will be bringing some wheels to repair. Brake bleeding? I could probably use that, too. How do I sign up and how's it getting done? Is someone bringing a tool for use? Or is someone just bleeding brakes all day for beer? :) I'm not interested in trying my luck while away from home (never done anything other than my non-ABS Mk3 before). But I'll gladly let someone else do it for a donation/fee. Whatever is the going rate. Details, please?
I will bring my Motive pressure bleeding set-up. Just bring a container to take your old fluid with you. I'll put you on the lists.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

That's a good idea! I'd also like to have my brakes bled. I bought a bottle brake fluid at VW and just haven't gotten around to getting it done. I'm sure someone will have the pressure bleeder at Impex?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Good Morning,

I will bring my Motive pressure bleeding set-up. Just bring a container to take your old fluid with you. I'll put you on the lists.
Thanks for the swift reply. Is an empty oil bottle (quart) large enough? I can probably save a gallon-sized one, too.

Scott

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
VCDS tutorial and talk usually have been reserved for the FEST. I feel sure we can get he resident GURU Compu 85 to lead us through the foibles of VCDS.
That being said. I know you will be able to find the assistance you need for the task that you have.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Compu has presented VCDS at several Impex GTGs. The question here is how detailed do people want to get. VCDS 101 or more in-depth coverage of certain things? Tell Jason what you want to learn and he can put a presentation together.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Good Morning,

Thanks for the swift reply. Is an empty oil bottle (quart) large enough? I can probably save a gallon-sized one, too.

Scott
Scott,

When I have done mine in the past, it has taken a bit over a liter, so I'd bring something bigger than a quart.

Paul

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Compu has presented VCDS at several Impex GTGs. The question here is how detailed do people want to get. VCDS 101 or more in-depth coverage of certain things? Tell Jason what you want to learn and he can put a presentation together.
I've got a good handle on the basics such as reading codes and using the coding helper to change settings. But I would like to know what else I can do.

Of Compu is up for it I'd love to learn more :cool:

n1das

TDI
I've got a good handle on the basics such as reading codes and using the coding helper to change settings. But I would like to know what else I can do.
Of Compu is up for it I'd love to learn more :cool:
I filled out Compu's form.

I have used VCDS successfully on a few non-VW Group cars in Generic OBD-II mode. It doesn't hurt to try it on a non-VW Group car. It works on my BMWs. It works as a generic code scanner in Generic OBD-II mode and you can also look at some live data too. I could have my 535d available for Jason to demo Generic OBD-II mode during a VCDS Tech Talk if people are interested.

Here's an example: When I had around 42k miles on my 535d, I looked at the number of ignition cycles the car has had since it was built. VCDS in Generic OBD-II mode reported 1127 ignition cycles. This counter value is non-resettable.

I did some simple math: (42k miles)/(1127 ignition cycles) = 37.26 miles/ignition cycle

My miles per ignition cycle calculation says I've been using the car mostly on the highway and for long trips. Bottom line it IS possible for a dealer to tell if the car has been used exclusively for short trips or regularly sees lots of highway miles!

It's amazing what you can learn using VCDS. :cool:

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I filled out Compu's form.

I have used VCDS successfully on a few non-VW Group cars in Generic OBD-II mode. It doesn't hurt to try it on a non-VW Group car. It works on my BMWs. It works as a generic code scanner in Generic OBD-II mode and you can also look at some live data too. I could have my 535d available for Jason to demo Generic OBD-II mode during a VCDS Tech Talk if people are interested.
It's amazing what you can learn using VCDS. :cool:
I did not even know you could use VCDS in Generic OBD-II mode on other cars! COOL! I would be interested.

n1das

TDI
Generic OBD-II mode allows VCDS to function as a generic code scanner and to see a little bit of live data that generic code scanners can read. The stuff you can see with a smartphone app like Torque is what you can see and maybe a little more.

VCDS *should* work in Generic OBD-II mode on non-VW Group cars provided the OBD-II interface is ISO 9141 compliant. Ross-Tech only guarantees it to work on VW Group cars. All others are at your own risk. It doesn't hurt anything to try it on a non-VW Group car and see if it works.

I have successfully used VCDS in Generic OBD-II mode on:
  • Toyota Tacoma truck (friend's)
  • Toyota RAV4 (friend)
  • Toyota Corolla (coworker)
  • Nissan Altima (coworker)
  • 02 Golf TDI (mine - sold in 2010)
  • 05 PD Jetta Wagen TDI (mine - sold in 2014)
  • 10 JSW TDI (mine - sold in 2013)
  • BMW 535d (mine) :cool:
  • BMW X5 35d (mine) :cool:

I'm planning to come to ImpexTDIfest in my 535d. I could have it available to demo scanning a non-VW Group car in Generic OBD-II mode if Jason wants to include it in his VCDS Tech Talk.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I've used VCDS in OBD-II mode on several friends' cars to read and reset codes. Jeep Diesel, Nissan pick-up, and a couple of Toyotas.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I'll be attending.

Please put me down for:
Dent removal
Brake fluid flush (unless I perform it before the Fest)
Hanging out.

Thanks

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
I need a new key fob. I have a cut key but the security chip is broken and would like to move the key to a new fob.