1Z/AHU Billet CCV drain plates, shift knobs, and custom machining

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
What issues do you have, none I’ve ever reinstalled leak.
Good for you. Many many people have had issues with these valve covers leaking due to the poor design. I have installed at least 6 gaskets in two different engines and every single one has succumbed to some leak at some point.

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Good for you. Many many people have had issues with these valve covers leaking due to the poor design. I have installed at least 6 gaskets in two different engines and every single one has succumbed to some leak at some point.
I researched and made a jig to adjust the height of the valve cover at the 3 hold-down bolts so the perimeter seals before the bolt rubbers . Once this was done, my valve cover dosn't leak any more. This is where I read about it.

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
Thought I would throw in here some pictures of how I rigged up the breather tube with the billet CCV plates. I like it, and no leaks.

I bought a 1/2" to 3/4" NPT adapter, then a 3/4" NPT to 1" ID Hose barb, then hooked 1" ID braided vinyl tube to the sawed off breather tube. No sign of leakage. I feel good about it, enough so to come on here and say how good I feel about it.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I just used the OEM CCV setup from the ABL engine. Breather puck, molded hose and flange. It all fits the AHU/1Z, but only if you use the Dorman 42062 valve cover grommet. The ABL has a valve cover that has an angled CCV port, and the Dorman just happens to be the perfect fit to the AHU valve cover to angle the puck the right way, in addition to providing a tighter fit so it doesn’t leak.

The magic of the ABL is that it uses a single all-rubber hose that is oetiker clamped at the bottom end to a plastic flange, which seals to the block with an o-ring. This results in a CCV that doesn’t leak.

The ABL breather setup is not an easy set of parts to find as the parts are all discontinued and came in a vehicle we never had in the USA, so I had to source a setup from Europe for an eye watering price. That said, I’m happy with it, as it should last a while, and most importantly, it doesn’t leak.

The hose-to-block flange is the critical piece, which is discontinued and doesn’t appear to be available aftermarket. If someone made the flange to fit the hose, the breather puck and hose still are offered on the euro aftermarket so you could build your own. The flange could be designed to use RTV instead of an o-ring too.

Last edited: