Audi A3 vs 1998 Jetta (A3) fuel economy

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
2011 Audi A3 vs 1998 Jetta (A3) fuel economy

I own both an 2011 Audi A3 2.0 CR Stronic and a 1998 Jetta 5MT (A3). The Audi is currently getting about 36 MPG combined whereas the Jetta was getting north of 40 MPG with the last two fill ups nearing 45 MPG. Any thoughts on the delta between the two car? My thought when we purchased the car was that they would be a bit closer with the 2.0CR having 10 years of new tech when paired with an automatic transmission, but a the gap seems a bit significant at 5-8 MPG.

Last edited:

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
The technology on the Audi A3 is all in the emissions which eat up approximately 10 mpg. We all want clean air but I think the EPA has strong armed the auto manufacturers. I get 42-44 with my Audi A3 on the highway. So if you are doing lots of city or are enjoying the throttle than I think your 36 mpg are low.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I own both an 2011 Audi A3 2.0 CR Stronic and a 1998 Jetta 5MT (A3). The Audi is currently getting about 36 MPG combined whereas the Jetta was getting north of 40 MPG with the last two fill ups nearing 45 MPG. Any thoughts on the delta between the two car? My thought when we purchased the car was that they would be a bit closer with the 2.0CR having 10 years of new tech when paired with an automatic transmission, but a the gap seems a bit significant at 5-8 MPG.
The EPA rating of combined is 34mpg

You cannot compare the two, its like apples to orangutans

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Trade-off

I own a 2011 A3 TDI S-Tronic as well, and it sounds like I'm getting the same MPGs you are. I've never owned an older model VW diesel, but I knew going in to my purchase of the '11 A3 TDI that the emissions control equipment on the car would cause the MPGs to suffer versus a diesel more than ten years older.

All in all, I'm happy that I get to drive the distances I drive for tankfuls approx every ten days versus every six days in a gasser. And put less bad stuff in the atmosphere. Win-win in my book.

Basenji

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Audi A3 TDI
The A3 is also heavier. That being said, My 2013 A3 TDI is getting better fuel economy than my 2009 Jetta TDI did, by about 2-3 mph.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Yup. Newer emissions standards. I also get 36 mpg combined with a bias towards city driving. I'll be yanking my dpf if it ever clogs since I live in maryland where diesels are never emissions tested.