tips to remove vacuum hose please

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
got my samco hoses ready to replace the older lookin ones. some of the vacuum hoses are fastened on by some weird looking clip. the one on the egr valve example. are these reusable clips and how do you usualy go about taking them off. just with a screwdriver?

and is it ok to use a stanley knife on the hose if you cant get them off by twisting and pulling. dont wanna destroy my car but after 11 years i think these hose's are not gonna come off easy.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If you mean the crimped stainless bands there is a tool but you may be able to spread them with a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers. then discard them and use a small band clamp instead. Even a good zip-tie or two works.
Any method to gently remove the old hose like slicing with a sharp knife is better than yanking on an old plastic fitting.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Hoses that have been on a long time can be a challenge to get off but, what I do is spray a bit of penetrating oil on the hose joint and try to lift the edge of the hose with a pick or small screwdriver to get the oil to crawl underneath. It helps to break the tackiness of the hose and allows it to slide.

Then I take an external ring clip removal tool and brace it between the edge of the hose end and a surface of the component and push it off rather than pull it.

something like this should do it:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CN2h_aG_nrACFUHatgodEV1ZWg

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
is it safe to use penetratingg sprays? i used it on most nuts and bolts i take off and its good stuff but can it do damage if it gets in the system like to the turbo etc.

ah looks like i need that tool :)

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
is it safe to use penetratingg sprays? i used it on most nuts and bolts i take off and its good stuff but can it do damage if it gets in the system like to the turbo etc.

ah looks like i need that tool :)
You need not put enough on to soak things. Easy does it.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The pinch clamps are one time use only. Here's something to consider, remove clamps using least stressful method you can think of. The EGR nipple is metal but the plastic nipples on the N75 and others get brittle with age. I usually split the old hose along it's length w/a small razor knife (but not all the way through), then twist, don't pull. Compromising the hose end first makes things a lot less stressful on older plastic parts. I love SuperLube and use a tiny bit when re-assembling to keep things easy for next time.

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
thasnk for tips. not as easy job looks liek this will take me several days.

i bought the hose's from demon tweaks they have there own website or you can buy through ebay as they sell on there aswel. i bought the yellow hose's for about 25 quid i think

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Hi All,

I need a bit of help, i was in the process of replacing my vacuum lines on my golf mk4 1.9tdi 2002 hatchback and i just removed the small metal clip that connects the vacuum hose to the metal nipple on the egr valve. I managed to remove the metal clip pretty easily but for some reason i can't get it back on i think i may have bent it out of shape when taking it off. Am really worried that the egr vacuum line will pop off while am driving. Anyone know where i can get a new clip from or the easiest way to get the old one back on?

Thanks

JETaah

TDI
Hi All,
I need a bit of help, i was in the process of replacing my vacuum lines on my golf mk4 1.9tdi 2002 hatchback and i just removed the small metal clip that connects the vacuum hose to the metal nipple on the egr valve. I managed to remove the metal clip pretty easily but for some reason i can't get it back on i think i may have bent it out of shape when taking it off. Am really worried that the egr vacuum line will pop off while am driving. Anyone know where i can get a new clip from or the easiest way to get the old one back on?
Thanks
Not gonna happen....just make sure that the hose is a proper fit. VW does not use clamps anywhere on the small vacuum hoses (3&5mm) anymore. There is never any positive pressure to push it off.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There is never any positive pressure to push it off.
ah really? i have had boost leaks at the ECU a few times.

JUST USE A SMALL ZIPTIE

Also a 6 year old thread?
Bhavick, you should start a new thread ok!

JETaah

TDI

JUST USE A SMALL ZIPTIE

And that is a vacuum line?

Last edited:

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
JUST USE A SMALL ZIPTIE
yeah sorry i know i should of started a new thread but i found this post while searching through google so i posted my question on this thread. Someone suggested buying a small jubilee clip so am probably just gonna get one of them.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Anyone have a rough idea what size metal clip you need for the vacuum line that goes to the vnt actuator? Am thinking of going with a jubilee clip 8-10mm but if anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Anyone have a rough idea what size metal clip you need for the vacuum line that goes to the vnt actuator? Am thinking of going with a jubilee clip 8-10mm but if anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know?
you just said, VNT
so dont bother
My reaction was to a AHU not an ALH, your system runs off vacuum, not boost, dont bother with clips its a waste of time and money.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
you just said, VNT
so dont bother
My reaction was to a AHU not an ALH, your system runs off vacuum, not boost, dont bother with clips its a waste of time and money.
Thanks for your reply, yes your probably right it's a waste of money but i've already ordered some off eBay now. It's my brothers car and he's quiet particular about these things, me personally i wouldn't have bothered.

I wanted to ask is there an easy way to gain access to the vnt actuator to replace the vacuum line without getting underneath the car? The reason i ask is because i don't have a jack and i initially tried getting my arm down there from the top but i couldn't reach it? Just in case anyone's wondering i've got a Golf Mk4 1.9 TDI 2002 Hatchback and am from the UK.

Thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try turning the wheel all the way left and reach in from the wheel well. IIRC, the vacuum attachment on the Garrett actuator is horizontally mounted. I've had good luck with silicon spray to soften the rubber hoses.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Try turning the wheel all the way left and reach in from the wheel well. IIRC, the vacuum attachment on the Garrett actuator is horizontally mounted. I've had good luck with silicon spray to soften the rubber hoses.
Thanks for your reply, i'll definitely give that a try providing i can gain access through the wheel well. I've heard that it's a crimp style CV clip that holds the actuator line on so i'll probably just take that off with some pliers and replace it with a new one.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Thanks all for your replies and help, i finished changing over all my vacuum lines on Sunday. I had to park my car on a curb to get access to the vacuum line going to the VNT actuator and that was the one that was giving me the problem. After taking it off and inspecting it i noticed a nasty hole in it, so once i replaced it we took the car for a drive and what a difference it's made. The car feels way more responsive and faster now then it was before.

The funny thing is we re scanned the car with the VCDS cable and it's still giving us the same fault code as before which is strange. The fault code is:

17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I guess it's time to clean the turbo out. I've read quiet a few posts where people have cleaned there turbos out with Mr Muscle by spraying it through the hot side of the turbo. Has anyone else done this before and what were the results before and after?

Thanks

JETaah

TDI
Have you done a log of an acceleration run with VCDS?...groups 1,3, and 11
Did the code return after clearing it?

Before you tear into the turbo, disconnect the actuator linkage to isolate the movement of the turbo vane lever. If it moves easily full stroke (~8mm) without getting snagged the problem is likely elsewhere.

If there was a hole in the vacuum hose or an old actuator was rusted through, crud could have been continually sucked up into the vacuum system and is now impairing the control components ahead of the actuator. You can tell by looking at the inside of the vacuum hose for rust and dirt and blowing out the N75 valve and 3mm check valve fitting that attaches to the vacuum pump.

Last edited: