ignition switch/lock cylinder question?

ivorsparks

TDI
1996 passat tdi
I replaced the ignition switch on my 96 passat tdi and drove it 700 miles and it quit starting.... I can push start it easily. When I remove the key from the ignition, the radio keeps playing. If I push the ignition cylinder where the key goes in, it springs out a bit and the radio shuts off. Does this mean that I should have replaced the lock cylinder also?? do I have to do the whole process again to replace the lock cylinder? any info would be greatly appreciated....Thx

Last edited:

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Probably......I replaced my ignition switch and two weeks later started frying starters......and I THINK it was because of the (original) lock cylinder.......mine is also a 1996 B4.......(better a radio staying on than a fried starter)......

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I've never replaced the ignition switch, but I have been having the radio thing happen for years. I just have to remember to push the cylinder to get the radio off, otherwise it kills the battery. It may or may not be related.....

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
So how do I avoid key & switch problems?

Seems I must change out my ignition switch that has become faulty.

Would like to keep the same key.

Except for your all's common horror stories I thought I had a plan to replace just the switch.
What do you recommend? Buy an OEM switch & key set, rebuild the switch with polishing the contacts? Find a used keyset?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Replace just the electrical half of the lock/switch set.
Contacts receed as they heat up and melt back into the plastic, polishing won't work.
New is $10.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I just had to replace the key cylinder. I also replaced the ignition switch, at the same time, since I was in there. I had replaced it 2 years, prior.

1) Follow lug nut's suggestions.
2) The cylinder can be rekeyed to your current key set. The black bezel needs to be dremel cut in 2 places. I had a local, reputable locksmith in town do it. Once installed, the cuts are not visible.

Tony