www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 100 28.25%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 254 71.75%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3rd, 2006, 16:27   #166
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombl
Sorry cjmorrell, we're not permitted to discuss Volkswagen 505.01 approval here in regards to Amsoil.

Fred's member wjdell is correct regarding the Party Line:

Good luck figuring it all out and again, sorry about not being able to discuss this product freely.

I don't know where you came up with this. There is an open thread here that goes into painful detail on Amsoil and VW's 505.01 spec.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137104

Your statements are outright distortion. What is not allowed in Amsoil threads is giving you free rein to troll, abuse, flame, attack, post FUD tactics, etc, what you usually do.

There is no shame in not participating in an Amsoil thread if your goal is to not contribute positively.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 16:38   #167
wjdell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 41.93 high 46.32 low 34.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
It may well be, however it is not a major brand doing business in its sector. Its just a brand without credibility from VW.

Neither is SuperMicro - but you do not believe for a minute the a 400 Dell has a SuperMicro board

On the other hand some of their top end multi processor servers are SuperMicro boards - They do not say - Dell asian dodo
Dell SuperMicro - on the front

don't get me wrong I like you Frank we just have a difference in opinon. I think Shell is a better company than Mobil Shell labs are second to none. I use all Mobil Shell Amsoil

~ USED OIL ANALYSIS ~ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958
~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
DSG ~ 17" VV ~ 36/34 psi ~
ULSD ~ DG-BP90 - speed 39.2
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~
elev 58 ft / temp 72 F / humidity 76% ~ MPG 48.3 / 42.8 / 35.6

Last edited by wjdell; August 3rd, 2006 at 16:40.
wjdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 17:17   #168
Frank M
BANNED

TDI(s): NB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdell
Neither is SuperMicro - but you do not believe for a minute the a 400 Dell has a SuperMicro board

On the other hand some of their top end multi processor servers are SuperMicro boards - They do not say - Dell asian dodo
Dell SuperMicro - on the front

don't get me wrong I like you Frank we just have a difference in opinon. I think Shell is a better company than Mobil Shell labs are second to none. I use all Mobil Shell Amsoil
I have been around the service business for along time. Have had people sell me parts that were made by "so and so" the same name that everyone recognizes and uses.

I got burned just a few times until I realized that "so and so" has to dump their rejects somewhere. They had a higher failure rate and some didn't work at all right out of the box.
I don't buy anything that means something to me unless it is a brand name that is well known for quality. PERIOD

Its called reducing the odds of getting junk.
Not to say that everything is perfect, just if something goes haywire they will also stand behind it.

Rejects are a waste of time for any manufacturer or service person.
Pay the price, get the best quality product and charge accordingly. Customers deserve to get what they pay for, not rejects.

Last edited by Frank M; August 3rd, 2006 at 17:20.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 17:30   #169
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Frank, just so you know there is Volkswagen/Audi branded 505.01 synthetic 5w40 oil. It comes in a white bottle, similar labeling as the PS fluid, etc. I had gotten it from the dealer a couple times. Squarish liter bottle, not Castrol TXT (although it may have been inside). There have also been a couple different designed Castrol bottles.

Been a long while since I got that VW-branded oil. Actually, the first time I saw it was when a customer brought his own oil from the dealer on his '04 Jetta to me for an oil change. It was also the same bottle that was given to me at the dealer when I bought our Passat. Ever since then though it has been Castrol TXT.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 17:48   #170
wjdell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
I have been around the service business for along time. Have had people sell me parts that were made by "so and so" the same name that everyone recognizes and uses.

I got burned just a few times until I realized that "so and so" has to dump their rejects somewhere. They had a higher failure rate and some didn't work at all right out of the box.
I don't buy anything that means something to me unless it is a brand name that is well known for quality. PERIOD

Its called reducing the odds of getting junk.
Not to say that everything is perfect, just if something goes haywire they will also stand behind it.

Rejects are a waste of time for any manufacturer or service person.
Pay the price, get the best quality product and charge accordingly. Customers deserve to get what they pay for, not rejects.
Come on Frank - Amsoil does not package rejects - The discusson I thought was based on adverizing and channels. I have a Toshiba laptop and my server is a old Intel PRX 440 dual cpu's to me a Intel board is about as low as I will go. I built this one in 98 and its ticking.

I am sure that Amsoil as Mobil move their substandard stuff to channels were it can be used appropiately for other uses. Maybe it becomes chain saw bar oil I do not know. This thread was started by a gentleman who wanted a opinion about which "Amsoi"l product he should use 10W30/30 or 5W40 in his PD. Your advice should have been

I personally would not use any Amsoil product in my PD, as they have failed to submit their products to the proper channels for testing and thus approval by VW. But if you were to insist to use Amsoil, the AFL would be the product that Amsoil intended and reformulated for PD use.

I was a PR man -

~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:10   #171
Rustynuts
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 Imp. mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
Frank, just so you know there is Volkswagen/Audi branded 505.01 synthetic 5w40 oil. It comes in a white bottle, similar labeling as the PS fluid, etc. I had gotten it from the dealer a couple times. Squarish liter bottle, not Castrol TXT (although it may have been inside). There have also been a couple different designed Castrol bottles.
The UK dealerships stock a range of oils called "Quantum" on the shelf to sell to customers. It's the same Castrol stuff they use in the service dept, just rebranded and marketed as their own oil. The stuff they use in the service dept is Castrol, but not in bottles. It comes in drums and is marked Castrol.

Rusty.

Seat Altea 2.0ltr TDI Sport.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:26   #172
l1o9s7t6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5/42.5

Oil threads always seem to bring out the best in people.

The 5w-40 would be your best choice.
l1o9s7t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 16:01   #173
AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdell
Come on Frank - Amsoil does not package rejects... <snips>
I am sure that Amsoil as Mobil move their substandard stuff to channels were it can be used appropiately for other uses.
WJ,

AMSOIL doesn't package rejects, it doesn't use recycled drums or bottles, they don't make 'private label' products, and they have a multi-level (fitting, isn't it?!) 100% quality control program. The QC program includes chemical analysis of raw materials before they're unloaded (whether truck or rail), another test as the materials go into blending, blended product is tested, and each batch is tested as it goes to bottling. Waste oil ('blow out') from hoses in between bottling runs is used to fire the oil furnaces in the blending/bottling plant. The lot numbers on containers can be traced back to bottling run, bottling and blending crew, and source raw materials.

jombl, Incorrect. Discussion is allowed. Sniping is not.

Twitch,

AFL is the only product in AMSOIL's lineup that is built for, and recommended for, PD TDIs. No other product from the company is recommended, and only this product will be covered by AMSOIL's warranty for this application.

Have a great weekend!
Andy

edit underlined.

Last edited by AndyH; August 7th, 2006 at 18:27.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 20:02   #174
brann524
Veteran Member

Just took my pd in last friday and had the dealer install afl. Thanks for all of you who have given me the courage to do it. This was my 5m oil change and I plan to probably use it for the life of car unless the engine explodes.
brann524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 19:25   #175
dynoman

Default Amsoil

Hi there, I am new to the forum, I just purchased a 2006 Jetta and was wondering if I could use the Amsoil 3000 for oil changes????
dynoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 19:46   #176
tdi06

Amsoil recomends their Euro Formula 5W-40 AFL oil for the newer VW's requiring a 505.01 spec oil. There are a bunch of threads in regard to this question if you wish to search for them.
tdi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 20:16   #177
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Well your manual says to use oil meeting VW 505.01 rating.

You can buy it at your dealer (usually reasonable price!!) or online at

several of the vendors mentioned in the forums.

Amsoil is a bit of a hot button with a lot of members here. If you have

a spare lifetime or two, read the many and long threads pertaining to the

question you just asked.

Use whatever you like of course, but if the dealer finds out you used

anything other than 505.01 he will likely try (and succeed, so I hear) to

weasel on your warranty. 505.01 is not a brand but rather a specification

put out by VW. So there are several brands you can buy. The easiest is

the one you get at your VW dealer, usually Castrol.

There is a list floating around here somewhere of the approved (by VW)

oils you can supposedly use.

Why not let your dealer do the 5000 and 10000 mile service while

you use that time to decide what other oil to use?

Welcome to the club!

Guys, I tried to give an honest and neutral answer, how did I do?

Tap-dancin Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 20:39   #178
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

So no you cannot use Amsoil 3000.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 22:06   #179
wjdell
Veteran Member

Amsoil would not rec their 3000 if you wrote them but the AFL. Amsoil is confident they have reformulated a very good 505.01 oil but never submitted it to VAG for approval. Some will say in America you can run run this oil and not void your warrenty. I am not up to hassle with VW so I am looking for the oil I want that also is approved by VW. My salesman said that Amsoil is a very good product and the dealership I spoke with siad it was fine also. We will not know till a Amsoil AFL user has a failure and deals with VWOA. I think in a court of law in America if Amsoil says it meets 505.01 spec and you had a failure. It would not be up to you or Amsoil to prove the oil was good but up to VW to prove it is not good.

~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~

Old August 25th, 2006, 10:45   #180
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The issue with Amsoil (in general) is that Amsoil themselves say that it meets or exceeds whatever standard you are talking about (505.01 in this case), but they have not gone through with the actual approval process to INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFY that it meets that standard.

VW publishes a list of oils that VW has approved against the 505.01 standard. There is no Amsoil oil to be found on that list.

That is different from saying the stuff is no good. But what it means is that IF something lubrication-related goes wrong, VW is not going to support warranty coverage on the grounds that you did not use oil that was officially approved to the 505.01 standard. Which means, you are going to have a battle on your hands.

There's the info the way I see it. Now it's your choice.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote