Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
For anyone living around the Fox Lake, IL area, over the weekend, I saw the BP station along Hwy 12 had diesel for $3.79 and gas for $3.99. The diesel is is a bio-blend, though. I'm pretty sure it's probably B11. Just in case anyone was wondering.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
$4.499 in Blaine, WA on Saturday afternoon.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Diesel is about $1.29/L (~$4.9/US Gal) at north end of Toronto
RUG is about $1.33/L (~$5.05/US Gal) but didn't pay attention to the price at the station I filled up diesel tonight.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Diesel's still $3.959-4.099 'round these parts, but gas is falling pretty steadily and most stations are now $3.579-3.739; the gap that almost wasn't is now wider again. :(

okiebug2006

TDI
2006 NB TDI
In Tulsa, lowest reg gas I have seen is $3.29 and diesel is $3.79-$3.99. Supposebly one place has it for $3.74 per gasbuddy app.

Wish diesel would take a dive right with gas prices. But still cheaper to fill up once a week with diesel then to fill up twice a week with my previous gas car.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
$3.99 in Baltimore, $4.09 in Northern VA for 47 Cetane.
Beats that 40 Cetane we get here, I used to be able to get 47 cetane in Mclean at a BP that shut down and they were cheaper. I got 42 cetane this week at shell in Pasadena for $3.899, SMO owned Shell are 42, I know Severna Park, the 2 on JUmpers Hole (rt.2 and Mt road), Severn Qaurtefield and I beleve but not sure Aviation BLVD she is SMO owned/lease. SP shel was $3.999, was 4.099 a few days ago, Royal Farms SP was $3.959, so prices are dropping, but for how long.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Popped over to Mobile, Alabama today and found diesel at the GASCO on Airport at Azalea was just $3.819, so I topped up. 14-20¢ less than my neighborhood; 49.4 mpg. :cool:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Exxon, just one big oil company, made nearly a trillion dollars in profit in 2011. Now lets hear it from the professional liars that somehow, no, that no so, it's OPEC or some lie or another.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Exxon, just one big oil company, made nearly a trillion dollars in profit in 2011. Now lets hear it from the professional liars that somehow, no, that no so, it's OPEC or some lie or another.
Oh FFS, if you owned stock in Exxon wouldnt you be happy? How many corprations try to NOT make a profit? The only one that still succeeds when operating in the red is Govt!

Go back out on the picket line!

Back on topic. Frustratingly enough, diesel here is still at $4.35, where in other areas of the state it is below $4.00~!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think monopoly and gouging should be allowed. Their profit and executive pay should be taxed. But you can have fun paying 5 a gallon.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
I don't think monopoly and gouging should be allowed. Their profit and executive pay should be taxed. But you can have fun paying 5 a gallon.
Their profits and executive pay are taxed, probably more than once!

Why demonize a sucessful compny that turns profit, provides employment, and makes a product we need.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Two questions:

1. What business are you in, as profit must not be desireable.

2. In an effort to keep on topic, how much are you paying for diesel?

What makes you think their profits and CEO pay is exempt from taxation?

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
They pay $8 or $9 in Europe, I am still waiting to hear from those that blame the "greedy" oil companies to blame the govenments there that put all that tax on the fuel. By the way, I payed $3.849 today, a nickel less than last week. Somebody better email the "greedy" oil companies and CEOs and tell them they are slacking and losing control:eek:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
So one company makes a trillion dollars in profit in one year gouging everyone else and ruining the economy and you think they pay enough taxes? They spend hundreds of millions paying liars to lie about say climate change and are destroying the earth. They pollute and dump the clean up costs on society and bribe our government to let them. But you just love those angels right?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
One: Exxon-Mobil is a very big company, but has only a tiny percentage of the world's oil business. 3% or something like that.

So... not exactly a monopolist.

Two: "Gouging" is a word which has no economic meaning. It is a purely political term.

AlaskaRanger

Veteran Member
TDI
wannabe...right now a 7.3...
Exxon had $452.9 billion in sales last year (2011); its profit was $41.1 billion. So you're pretty close: off only by a factor of 25. And I'll provide you a source you can find comfort in - NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/05/07/152180143/

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
So one company makes a trillion dollars in profit in one year gouging everyone else and ruining the economy and you think they pay enough taxes? They spend hundreds of millions paying liars to lie about say climate change and are destroying the earth. They pollute and dump the clean up costs on society and bribe our government to let them. But you just love those angels right?
Unless you drive the Nissan Leaf or a bicycle, you need these companies that find oil half a mile below the surface, extract it out, deliver it to your pump so YOU can pollute the Earth on your way to the mall, restaurant, or work...without these companies the world, as we know it, would stop functioning.

How about all the professional athletes and the owners of their teams that make tons of money? You don't have a problem with their business model. How is it fair for those individuals to make all that money? After all, this world would do just fine without pro sports and their exorbitant compensation...Paying $100-$2000 for a ticket on top of a $10 beer and $10 sandwich is gouging in my opinion. But again, I do not hear people complaining about well performing teams...They win their games and bring lots of cash home. Why would an oil company be any different?

Finally, I assume you probably own an Ipod, Iphone, or Ipad...they are all made by a company that makes more money than Exxon. How come there is no public outcry over Apple's success? Should they be taxed to the point where they would give up inventing new products, as God forbid, it has become a sin to turn profit nowadays

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Their profits are up because we're being gouged is the point. take the top 5 oil companies then, shell, exxon, bp, chevron and conoco for the last seven years and it's a trillion in profit. Same difference.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Their profits are up because we're being gouged is the point. take the top 5 oil companies then, shell, exxon, bp, chevron and conoco for the last seven years and it's a trillion in profit. Same difference.
You make it sound like profits are a bad thing.

I worked the numbers a year ago, when you were babbling about how much Exxon was earning. After I pointed out that no single company is big enough to affect the price of crude oil, you argued that refining was where Exxon-Mobil was "gouging" the customers. Then I pointed out that XOM's profits were about 7 cents per gallon, and you decided to change the subject.

Now you're back, making the same bogus claims, unable to support anything you say, ignoring facts available to everyone, etc.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

And the truth comes out...:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, you never answered the question on what business you are in that doesnt need to make a profit to survive...Govt?

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Sooo, price of D2 has dropped $.10 to $3.89 or about 2%. The price of oil has dropped more than 10% in the past week or so which in a perfect world would equate to about a $.40 drop in the price of D2. I wonder if we will see it before the next weather/geo-political/refinery maintenance/whatever comes along.:rolleyes:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sooo, price of D2 has dropped $.10 to $3.89 or about 2%. The price of oil has dropped more than 10% in the past week or so which in a perfect world would equate to about a $.40 drop in the price of D2. I wonder if we will see it before the next weather/geo-political/refinery maintenance/whatever comes along.:rolleyes:
You've been around long enough to know that fuel prices always rise faster than they fall.

Also, crude hasn't fallen quite as far as you think... only about 7%. RBOB gasoline futures are down about 15 cents, heating oil futures down about 20 cents.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
They spend hundreds of millions paying liars to lie about say climate change and are destroying the earth.
So I guess they paid the people at East Anglia University too? (Climategate) Back to topic, I saw price drop more, I saw alot of $3.8X9s in A.A. County today

Last edited:

AlaskaRanger

Veteran Member
TDI
wannabe...right now a 7.3...
Your perfect world must be perfect indeed...that a 10% drop in "oil", as you call it, somehow mandates that that whole passel of taxes-per-gallon must also drop by 10%.

The point I'm trying to make is that the portion of pump price that derives from the raw material is quite low. I believe it is between 10 and 15% of the total, but I've not the facts presently at hand.