Nitrous for tdi alh

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Wondering what nitrous system would fit a jetta tdi alh
I like my quick spooling 17/22 and dont really want to spend thousands on a new turbo. So im wondering about NOS as a next step. Maybe Propane or Water meth but im really only looking at power gains here. Also wondering how strong the alh's crank is? What can it handle before one needs to put a forged crank in.
Main upgrades:
11mm pump
Race 520's
Port and polish
Vnt17plus(17/22)
3"exhaust
Upgraded intercooler and plumbing
IE Rods
.5 oversize pistons
Stage 3 camshaft
3 bar map
Stage 3 southbend clutch

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
If you really want to good power upgrade with nitros you need more fuel. 0.280 or 0.320 nozzles ís way to go.

You also have to think how you adjust fueling for right level when you hit Nitros? You dont want same fuel levels without...

I just think how that turbo going to survive in that situation. It has very restrictive turbine. Many people use Nitros other way, for spooling big turbo.

Last edited:

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Nitrous

Nitrous + ALH, = huge $$$ and lots of down time. If you have the cash, time and a shop I'll be following this. If you want some great ideas of how to go crazy powet, follow some of RyanP/Darkside developmens builds.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The expenditure of NOS versus the benefit compared to a few other modifications is not the most desired.
The greatest difficulty is overcoming the heat of the incoming air, and the pressure of the cylinder upon injection and combustion.
I considered a propane injection on an ALH for a little bit, however, injecting in a turbo versus a natural aspiration engine is very different. I would have had to increase the pressure of the propane in order to inject it directly in the cylinder, or even the stealth egr for that matter, and the chances of an explosion in the intake worried me even more than that! This was especially true when I was considering injecting brown's gas into the intake ahead of the turbo as after the turbo you have to overcome the 20+lbs boost at the stealth egr tube.

I think it would be cheaper easier and benefit more to use compressed air to spool the turbo quicker and simultaneously injecting that air into the intake.
For your application looking at the setup build specified R520's definitely going for the gusto, no matter what someone said about orifice size, I think using an oxygen injection would be ideal. For you I would definitely think using two, to four, small O2 tanks used for respirators and charge them with their 250psi capacity and use them to spool the turbo quicker. This would inject the oxygen into the cylinder causing a NOS effect with the rich fuel mixture to give a good boost of power and spool the turbo in the process, all the while cooling the incoming air and the turbo.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Adding O2 to the intake air is likely to cause rapid metal erosion from the combustion chamber.
The N2 in the atmosphere provides a desirable degree of buffering to prevent this.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Adding O2 to the intake air is likely to cause rapid metal erosion from the combustion chamber.
The N2 in the atmosphere provides a desirable degree of buffering to prevent this.
Fair enough, so the nitrogen forces a nox emissions increase to reduce the metal erosion caused by the o2. Spooling with the nos might be able to get the results of both then.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk