2004 bew starts then dies.

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
I have a 04 BEW, wasn’t running. Got PD150 injectors, new harness and cam sensor. Right after I installed the injector engine crank within a minute of priming and ran fine and then after about 2 minutes then car dies like it was starving for fuel. Engine will not start now. Has new tandem pump and lift pump. Timing was good unless it jumped. I’ll check tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I finally got it running again after about 30-45 secs of cranking running really rough and puffing blue smoke out and then died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
Checked fuel filter. Full of fuel. No water in it. Also pulled battery box and checked for chaffed wires. None found.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Make sure you check to make sure the lift pump runs and also that you didn't inadvertently install the supply and return lines on the lift pump wrong.

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
The lift pump runs and the lines are correct. Installing a new fuel filter tomorrow just to make sure it wasn’t clogged. Also, I finally got it to crank and run really rough and the turbo sounded like it was going in and out.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Not sure what the proper procedure is,but I'd check to see if that tandem pump is working correctly. Sorry I can't be of more help. I know an ALH pretty well,but have only worked on one PD engine.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Aren't you the guy that called me? The thing to do is not leave us hanging on what the problem was... EXPLAIN WHAT YOU FIXED!

It didn't just go away, did it? Give some decent feedback...

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
Aren't you the guy that called me? The thing to do is not leave us hanging on what the problem was... EXPLAIN WHAT YOU FIXED!

It didn't just go away, did it? Give some decent feedback...

Well the main issues were the injectors and cam sensor, but previous owner installed clear fuel lines on the fuel filter and they were on backwards! Haha