A-4 Golf rear hatch latch / lock

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Like so many owners of the A-4 Golf I do not like the lock / latch function of the rear hatch in its stock configuration. I'm at the point that I have to "fix" it.

I've read the thread posted by: The Alchemist

But I have a few things I need to clarifi befor I start this re-wiring project.

As per the Bently wiring diagram page: 97 / 390 diagram # 43/13

V-53 Lid locking motor wires color BL (Blue) and GN (Green) are the objects of interest. These wires terminate at connector T5d.
T5d is a 5-pin connector (Brown) located in the Left "C-Pillar"
At this connector I want to tap into pin #4 (Blue) and pin #2 (Green).
These two wires will be powered via the new wire coming from the left rear door connector T-18a.

If I'm wrong on any of the above points please let me know ! I don't want to fry a control modual or burn down my TDI. :eek:

From what I understand about this work-around is the modification is wired into the T5d connector from the Left (Driver's side) rear door.

At the left rear door:
Bentley wiring diagram page:97 / 386 diagram #43/9
T-18a (18 pin connector) is the object of interest.
At T-18a wire #7 (Blue) and wire # 17 (lilac/ purple)
These two wires are connected into and routed to the C-pillar.

To sum this up. What is being done is to connect into the left rear door at T-18a pins #7 & #17 then route these two wires to the c-pillar.
At T-5d cut wires #2 & #4 (going into the 5 pin connector) and attach the wires coming from T-18a

If this in not correct please let me know.
When I do this I'll post photos.

But please jump into this thread if you can correct or have any helpful insight or experieance in this modification.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Herm, I tried something like this about 6 months ago. I think it was the same wires. With no joy. It did not hurt anything but did not seem to work. I was going to try running wires from the passenger door lock but have not gotten around to it. I think the wires coming into the door are only canbus signal and the wire i needed will be coming out of the door module to the lock. I am no wiring guru only a hacker but i will stay tune to this thread. Good luck.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
hatch latch / Lock

I've been busy a with several sticks in the fire lately but I'm still on this rear latch issue.
Today was another motivator that got me back onto this hatch latch issue.

After a few more nights of reading wire traces and diagrams I got to thinking and I'm hesitant to taking apart a door to access wires and then running a lead to the C-pillar.

To be honest...I perfer something a little simpler.
Today I removed the rear hatch trim panel to get a look at things.
I noticed the connector to the lock...and it was then I had an idea.

Lets just unplug V-53 and see what happens.
What happens...the rear hatch will latch and unlatch without any key in the igntion or touching the door hatch switch AND the hatch alarm is NOT activated!

I had to go into town and that was my chance to see this idea in reality.
I can latch and unlatch my rear hatch at will !!!
The only thing left is to have the ability to lock my hatch when I want it locked.

Then the idea of installing a small switch mounted to the rear hatch trim panel (along the side of the hatch window).

This discussion is using diagram # 43/13:

Tap into the connector for the hatch locking motor (V-53). Cut one wire and install a small single pole switch mounted to the inside upper rear hatch trim panel.
This small switch wired in series.
At V-53 there are two wires (Green & Blue). These wires feed back to the central locking module J-393.

The question I have is what wire to tap into ?
One wire is for locking and the other is for unlocking but I can't tell which is which.

I get an answer to this question the solution is a 30 minute fix.
Simple & reliable is what I'm going for.

Which wire to cut....blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek:

The end product should result in a professional aesthetic look, perform reliably and a relativly simple procedure to install.

Can anyone tell me which wire (Blue or Green) performs the locking function ?

Last edited:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Herm

It seems like you have a good handle on it, but I am going from memory and don't have my Bently with me. I would do some research for you, but I am on a road trip now heading for TDI Fest. I know 33 days, but I am going via California, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota and am presently in Alberta.

Paul

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
I found the switch that will be installed.
I wanted a guarded switch so it will not be activated by accident

Help me Mr. Wizzard...
Which wire to cut....blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Herm

A little more thought and a careful reading of your earlier post led me to understand this. There is no one wire for locking or unlocking, but rather a polarity reversal of the two wires. That is, if A is + B is - then it locks. If B is + A is - it unlocks. If your switch is in either wire, it will prevent any function i.e. lock or unlock when open.
Hope this isn't too confusing.

Paul

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
OK...so it doesn't matter which wire I put the switch in.
I just have to pick a wire then cut it.

You mean that I'm the one that has to deside????
But...but ...If I decide which wire to cut I'll have no one to blame later should something go awry. It always has to be someone else' fault ! It just isn't fair not to blame someone else for something I choose to do...its just the new American way.
(I just love America)

cut...blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek: ...blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek::eek: ...blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek::eek::eek:...blue...green...no wait...maybe blue..hhhmm green :eek::eek::eek::eek:

If anyone is offended by this...you can just kiss it...and I'm not talk'en about the Pope's ring either.

Honestly...I can't wait to get this switch installed.
Even today it was so nice to just walk to the rear hatch and open it without having to do anything other than grasp the latch and open the hatch.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Herm is Happy ! :D
I installed my switch...it works just fine !
Now...I can open the rear-hatch any time.
To lock it I simply flip the switch and close the hatch and it locks.

I mounted my switch just above the passenger-side hatch "hand pull".
I left the internal wire long enough to facilitate removal of the trim panel without danger of pulling apart or straining the stock wiring harness.

Which wire did I cut ? Blue

Last edited:

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
I cut the blue and green wires at the CCM and extended them to the driver door module (blue/yellow and Lilac/yellow IIRC). As simple as it gets. Works like it should have been designed from the get go!

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
I cut the blue and green wires at the CCM and extended them to the driver door module (blue/yellow and Lilac/yellow IIRC). As simple as it gets. Works like it should have been designed from the get go!
Doing a modification as you've discribed is not my fort'e.
I would have perfered your type of modification but not having exact & accurate detailed instructions I wouldn't make the attempt.
The second reason I perfered my route is that it is easily restored to a stock configuration should I decide to ever sell this car (I doubt it :D).
But in the end....I'm pleased with my results.

Perhaps if you would post your car info and photos of your procedure that made this rear hatch latch modification you would be come a hero!

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Herm,

Where did you purchase your switch from? Having a hard time finding one like that online. Seeing it in action was pretty neat. Don't know why VW didn't design it this way to begin with.