Low pwr, rough idle, sputtering in 2005 PD

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hello to All,
Just purchased an 2005 GLS TDI wagon in Phoenix with 175K miles. Good power, smooth idle in the Phoenix, drove it cross country home in Rochester NY at 75 MPH for 2600 miles, good power and 42 MPG. The problem is a rough idle, low power and sputtering when talking off from a stop. It might have a little roughness at highway speed but I cannot be sure as my hearing is not the best, just a feeling. Put some Diesel Power in and it seems a little better but the problem is still there. Any suggestions of things to check would be much appreciated.
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pull the valve cover off and look at the cam lobes. A rough idle, sometimes with a 'fluttering' noise is the most common symptom of worn out cam/followers.

What 2005 model is this?

New Beetle
Golf
A4 Jetta sedan
A5 Jetta sedan
Jetta wagon

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Reply: What 2005 model is this?

Not sure what you are asking other than 2005 GLS TDI wagon with manual trans.

oilhammer

TDI
Zampano77 said:
Not sure what you are asking other than 2005 GLS TDI wagon with manual trans.
So it is a Jetta Wagon then? I ask because there were a couple different models of TDIs sold here in 2005, then do not necessarily have a lot in common with one another.

I would still check the camshaft. Also, on your BEW engine, check the intake tube going into the throttle body.

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Intake tube question

Intake tube question- are we talking air intake tube from (airbow) airbox
Lack of lobes- this being the camshaft lobe
sorry to be so green

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think Oilhammer may be referring to checking the intake manifold for being plugged up with soot from the EGR sytstem.

Oilhammer: What about the possibility of the low power and rough idle being from a clogged fuel filter or a failing in-tank lift pump?

--Nate

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have yet to replace the fuel filt, will do so very soon. The car is off the road for the winter except to try and fix the problem

oilhammer

TDI
By intake tube I mean the charge air tube that clips to the throttle body that has a history of coming loose. This is what whitedog's collar is designed to fix. Very common.

Clogged filters on PDs result in stumbling and missing at higher RPMs, worse under load. Trust me, seen a bunch of them (the owner's manual must be REALLY hard to read).

Only lift pump cars I have dealt with were DOA (as in, the engine would not run at all) or were proactively replaced because they were noisy, but the engine was still running fine.

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have yet to pull the valve cover yet and jusat before I purchased it the previous owner had a lifter replaced, a bad sign?? Would the MPG and performance ( I ran 75 to 80 mph) for most of the 2600 miles but got 42 mpg if the lobes were down that much. Thanks for all of the suggestions,

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
My '04 ran with a failed lift pump for quite some time. What clued me in was when I couldn't prime the fuel filter after replacing it ;-)

The OPs symptom do not sound like a bad lift pump IMHO.

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
whitedog's collar is designed to fix.?

could you let me know what this is and do I make it or (but) buy it

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Zampano77 said:
I have yet to pull the valve cover yet and jusat before I purchased it the previous owner had a lifter replaced, a bad sign?? Would the MPG and performance ( I ran 75 to 80 mph) for most of the 2600 miles but got 42 mpg if the lobes were down that much. Thanks for all of the suggestions,
This is a very bad sign. The cam, all bearings, and all the lifters should have been replaced at this time, not just one lifter.

The cam and lifter inspection is very likely to show the problem.

I get 52.5 mpg on the interstate at 73 mph indicated in my 2005.

Good luck.

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for the heads up

Will pull valve cover tomorrow to see what is happening as it regards to wear, etc

will let you know and thanks for the tips