believe I blew turbo exhaust side oil seal

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'd have your shop guys to drain the oil down near proper level. But, being a quart over full is no going to kill anything. There will not be any aeration either. If that was an issue, the fact that the oil pump chain driven sprocket is located down in the oil pan would mean loads of "aeration" at almost any oil level on the dip stick. Also, keep in mind, the oil being slung out from around the rod and main journals is being slapped by the crankshaft, etc., thus no aeration. And, the oil sprayers shooting oil up on the bottom of the pistons do not cause oil aeration. The vast major of flying oil and drain-back from the head is caught by the windage tray which returns it to the oil pan..... Oil aeration resulting in foam/bubbles in these engines is nothing but a myth, in my opinion

I bet the squeal/whine is an exhaust leak as others are saying. If the sound tends to change and/or go away as the engine warms up, that would be an indication of sealing off by heat expanding the various metal/materials involved.

Revving the engine with no load doesn't create much boost at all ...... prolly less than 1 psi.

Last edited:

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I made the executive decision to drive the car home. No noise from the exhaust or intake side boost leak whatever it was after 30-50 miles from install, regardless of engine temp.

I did not throw a rod. I will make a decision shortly how many of the rod cap, main cap bolts to replace. I may considering doing head studs for the heck of it at the same time as whatever else I replace. If I take the pan off it will be replaced with something, either the steel insert one, or some sort of aftermarket one with increased capacity, designed for drag/road racing if it exists? Guessing no.

Efficiency seems a little better. I will have local guy check timing belt and re-set timing to max line vicinity if its not there. Motor already has about 1500 miles on it since calamity.

drivability is significantly improved. I will not mess with tune/nozzles etc until after Alaska trip. I like the way the motor feels in most if not all situations. It gives me the distinct impression the old turbo was undersized for this motor, don't know all the reasons why it was used instead of just using VNT-17 on it. Maybe it was emissions related. Vehicle running down flat highway in high gear at 60 mph with 5-6 lbs boost makes no sense to me for efficiency, lack of twitchiness etc. I am curious how much boost in same conditions is reduced by this turbo.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The ALH in my Vanagon does about 5-7 PSI boost on the level at 60 mph, maybe a little less. The ECU has a mild, but noticeable, Stage 1 Malone tune. The instant the Van begins a slight up grade, to maintain speed, obviously, it's necessary to increase the "go-pedal" which moves the boost up as necessary ........... The boost gauge reflects the response!