Comparison of Different tdi engines

shapeshifter3735

TDI
2003 GLS Silver mk4 262,000 miles
Hi there
Sorry if this is the wrong way to do this I rarely post anything?
I had a 2003 ALH 5 speed I loved!!
Someone pulled out in front of me and I T-boned them and totaled the car so I am waiting for insurance money to come in and I want another Tdi.
what is the engine code on the 2011-2015 cars? It appears these get a lower MPG than my ALH did? but can they last 500,000 miles like the ALH? Or should I find another ALH? by the way I had 262,000 miles on it I drive 3600 miles per month and all I ever did to it is ....
changed the timing belt twice
changed struts twice and alternater once.
had the original clutch and brakes!!!
best car ever!
any advice is greatly appreciated
thank you

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
If you drive that much I'd say find another ALH. The newer engines probably even more efficient, considering having 50% more power, but the engine is chocked by having "sophisticated" emission restriction that could be more expensive to maintain.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that a new (for 2015, bring is correct) TDI has 60 more HP and 81 more lb/ft of torque than your ALH. It's also in a car that's heavier than yours, with a much cleaner exhaust. There's no free lunch, but it's pretty impressive that the EPA numbers are not a lot lower (when correcting for old and new measurement methods) for the new cars than the old. The 6 speed transmission is a big help. Pure urban driving and short trips will result in a more significant FE hit in the new cars, but they'll do pretty well compared to the ALH on the highway.

I think you can plan on 200K miles on a new TDI before you may face some significant repairs, like DPF or turbo. The jury's out on whether or not the basic engine will go 500K miles, as I don't think anyone has had enough time to drive one that far.

Keep in mind that your experience may repeat itself: something may take the car out of service long before the engine wears out. That 500K mile target may not be that important.

shapeshifter3735

TDI
just fyi I wouldn't recommend it but 1time I went 125,000 miles on a timing belt and when I changed it the old belt looked just as good as the new belt but I drive mine very easy and Im 99% highway miles no city driving.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
just fyi I wouldn't recommend it but 1time I went 125,000 miles on a timing belt and when I changed it the old belt looked just as good as the new belt but I drive mine very easy and Im 99% highway miles no city driving.

The failure of rollers, tensioners and water pumps is high compared to the timing belt alone. The timing belt is a system, consisting of several parts. If a single one of them fails, the whole system fails and bent valves etc happens.

Thats the reason the adice given in this site is to replace all the parts that come in direct contact with the TB (except crank and cam pulleys)

shapeshifter3735

TDI
Hi there
Can anyone tell me what are the differences between a 2002 and 2003 tdi gls jetta or really for that matter 2000 and 2001 as well I know they are all MK IV 's
As stated above I had a 2003 but am looking at a 2002 I would assume the differences are small
Thanks

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Hi there
Can anyone tell me what are the differences between a 2002 and 2003 tdi gls jetta or really for that matter 2000 and 2001 as well I know they are all MK IV 's
As stated above I had a 2003 but am looking at a 2002 I would assume the differences are small
Thanks
I believe there was a mid year update in 2002 that added side airbags and a few other things (center console cup holders?). There isn't much difference overall.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are very few differences between an '03 and '02. The GL got power windows, but other than that I think the cars are the same. Engine and electronics are. There are some trim differences between '00 and '02, as well as some mechanical changes (glow plug harness, ecu, maybe others I'm not thinking of) but by '02 VW was pretty set until the PDs were introduced in '04.