Oil question

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Just to backtrack a little, I have only used 507, there is a reason why VW requires 507. Of course it's expensive but it's worth it. This 2009 Jetta TDI calls for it on the manufacturers specs. Saving a few dollars not worth it in the long run. If you've got an older model diesel, they're probably able to accept different grades of oil, but I'm not taking the chance with this 2.0T.

The second part of this thread on the DPF/EGR deletes is getting much more complicated and I don't know about that. The debate seems interesting but again VW put all that stuff in the emissions system for a reason. Working against it on these newer models with all the programming and computer stuff going on I'd say get it done by a trusted TDI mechanic who knows how these TDI's work.

Living in a state where it's illegal, most of us are in the same boat. But never in my life have I been asked to pay $5000 to $6000 for a check light to replace the entire emissions system. There's got to be a better way, VW has to work on a solution, not fair. How could VW expect us to go back to their dealers again. VW should work on their customer relations because at this point I don't know if I'll go back to VW.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The second part of this thread on the DPF/EGR deletes is getting much more complicated and I don't know about that. The debate seems interesting but again VW put all that stuff in the emissions system for a reason. Working against it on these newer models with all the programming and computer stuff going on I'd say get it done by a trusted TDI mechanic who knows how these TDI's work.

Living in a state where it's illegal, most of us are in the same boat. But never in my life have I been asked to pay $5000 to $6000 for a check light to replace the entire emissions system. There's got to be a better way, VW has to work on a solution, not fair. How could VW expect us to go back to their dealers again. VW should work on their customer relations because at this point I don't know if I'll go back to VW.
They put it there to pass the Governments emission requirements, some say its a joke, some don't. I consider it halfway as they plug up diesels making them run like crap and using more fuel, so how does entail a win?

As for a better way, nope, not really but the cost VW and others expect customers to pay is f'ing nuts, hence again, why most of us stick with older, pre-emission cars.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just to backtrack a little, I have only used 507, there is a reason why VW requires 507. Of course it's expensive but it's worth it. This 2009 Jetta TDI calls for it on the manufacturers specs. Saving a few dollars not worth it in the long run. If you've got an older model diesel, they're probably able to accept different grades of oil, but I'm not taking the chance with this 2.0T.
A major reason vw specifies the 5w-30 507 oil is for improved fuel economy, not engine longevity. If the cars weren't strangled with emissions gear they would get much better economy without the need to compromise on the oil viscosity. Just because a certain oil is more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it is better. I got my mobil 1 formula m esp for $7/quart vs. Mobil1 esp 507 @ ~$12/liter.