fuel bleeding problems

redneck01

TDI
2001 vw jetta
Hey guys so I'm new to this forum but Im not new to the 1.9 l TDI engine, but this one has me stumped. I bought my 2001 vw jetta about a yr ago and decided to upgrade the engine a bit to get some more power out of it. So I went ahead and deleted the egr. Straight pipe, and next I decided to change the injector nozzels. So I took all the steel lines off, return lines, glow plug harness and removed all the injectors. Of course they were seized in so I had to make my own tool out of a slide hammer. I changed all the nozzels and installed new copper washers. Put everything back together and when I went to bleed the steel lines all I'm getting is a bubbly froth. So I checked my fuel filter and noticed it was half empty. So I got my electric pump and bled the line coming from the tank untill all the air was out. Then I went to bleed the return line coming out of the IP and I sat for about 20 min and nothing. Checked all the lines and connections and no leaks. So for fun I tried my hand vancum pump. And as soon as I pulled the handle it sucked right back in on me. Its like i cant suck anything through the pump. So either I have a blocked line or something I dunno. Any ideas ?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Lots of people, myself included, have never had much luck at drawing a vacuum on the return lines as a way to prime the pump. Not sure why... some swear by it... it's never worked for me.

In your case, since the engine was running before, it's likely that you just need to give the system a bit more time. Because so little fuel is injected at idle (or cranking speeds) it can take a minute or two of cranking to re-fill the lines.

I tend to do 10-20 seconds of cranking followed by 10-20 seconds of time for the starter to cool, lines cracked open a bit at the top of each injector, rag over the top of the engine to contain the flow, fire extinguisher standing by. :)

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Try cracking one injector at a time while someone cranks it and tighten as soon as it's straight fuel. Then move to the next one. Be sure not to over crank! Give the starter plenty of time to cool down

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just a note for anyone coming across this thread, if you're just doing injectors (R&R) you can avoid much of this problem by leaving the fuel lines connected to the IP. Just loosen the nuts on the IP (after you've undone the nuts on the injectors), turn each line up and out of your way and then tighten the nuts (IP), just enough to seal. Once the new injectors are in (and you've of course properly torqued the hold-down bolts) loosen the lines on the IP side, tighten on the injector side and then finish with tightening on the IP side. I attribute this trick to RacerTodd. I have only done this once (install new injectors) and the car started right up with just three sets of crankings (of perhaps 7 seconds each) and bleeding the lines (from the injector end).