Something's Killing My Battery!

blue smoke

TDI
1999.5 New Beetle
I have been having an issue with something draining my battery. I have had two new batteries and have even gone to a shop and the dealership. No one has given me an answer or even been able to diagnose the culprit.

Additionally, my glow plug light is blinking and the car seems under powered. A few years ago I had the glow plug harness replaced, replaced the relay and the dealership replaced the brake light switch (about 9 years ago)

I have a `99.5 New Beetle.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The flashing glow plug light is actually a "fix me ASAP" check engine light and NOT related to the glow plugs..there's a couple good troubleshooting threads on this. I am on Tapatalk or would hunt them down..."flashing glowplug" would probably be a great search term to try.

Likewise there's a factory Technical Service Bulletin on the quickest way to find rogue current drains...the "start pulling fuses" method or "stick a meter in series with the battery" method can lead you down the garden path because the car has a series of modules that need to be sleeping when you are looking. "Current drain TSB" might track 'em down.