Help with timing adjustment

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Hello all Ontariarians!!!!

I have been having a hard start issue just as winter is beginning to break, not to say my car wouldn't start it was just taking a few seconds longer than normal.

I initially thought it was caused by a bad glow plug i had but once i replaced the plug it has not went away, and it is still there now that it is warmer out, .........

so i thought i give her a scan, nothing came up except the antenna, which i have soldered to bypass the electronics in the base, and knew it would come up,

i checked the timing after i got home form work the other day, and it is down to 39, fuel temp was 110, ...........so this is retarded.......

I have a few questions:

would the retarded timing be the cause of my "longer than normal" crank time??

and I know how to adjust the timing from reading the how-to's, but would anyone be willing to assist/show me how to do it?

to be honest anything with timing, or the timing belt scares me, .......but i would feel more comfortable doing it with someone who has done it before, ......i've done the clutch, brakes, and going to be replacing the entire suspension in a couple of weeks, but timing stuff I am unsure about!!!!

I can meet at your place or you can come to mine?, I live in Innisfil, work in Mississauag, and I am pretty sure i have all the tools to do the job, (i assume it is wrenches and VCDS, nothing out of the ordinary)........

in exchange i will offer what i can, which off the top of my head would be to read your ECU for your SKC so if you loose a key you can re-program your own with VCDS???

thanks for your help and your time in reading this,

please PM me, or email pbraunton at g mail dot com

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's actually really easy to adjust the injection pump timing. 3 bolts that has to be slightly loosened and then the pump slowly indexed. Sounds like you are pretty proficient at working on cars, use the write ups and go for it. The timing belt will not be affected, as long as you dont; unscrew the 3 bolts too far. Only get them loose enough that they are not touching the injection pump pulley.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Hey Brandon, no not home, I saw you called though, ....................thanks for the offer and we'll hook up to get it done, .......

i work tomorrow, but what time will you be at your shop thursday morning?, i could stop by on my way home from work??

let me know, or sometime at my place or yours??...........

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
With the engine warmed up to operating temps and running, spray some water/soap solution at the base of each injector. If you see bubbles, you've got a leaky injector, which may be a possible cause of your hard starting. You need to change the copper sealing washer for that injector to rectify that.

I had those symptoms and after changing the washer and advancing the timing slightly, the car started normally.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Crisis averted!!!!!

Hey:

Just mentioning that Brandon came over last night to help me adjust the timing, it is super easy to do, but just one of those things that i wasn't sure about, ......

next time i will not hesitate to do it myself!!

thanks Brandon, ............

and good beers by the way!!!, ........