Considering 2016 Touareg TDI LUX. Anything to watch out for?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So my dealership has two '16 Touareg TDI Luxes sitting on the lot due to the stop sale. And IF they become available after the fix I think I would really like to get into one of them.

It's Canyon Grey with the black leather, and it has the driver assistance package.

I know older touaregs have had their issues with stuff like $1,000 break jobs and center driveshaft bearings. But I havent seen too many issues with the newer generation.

Then again, I only see what comes through my shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Most of the problems with the new ones are HPFP and NOx control related (NOx sensors, DEF temp sensors, etc.).

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Test drive them to 80 mph and see if the steering wheel shakes and the car runs true on the road.

If it does either, RUN AWAY.

If it does both, then RUN AWAY EVEN FASTER!

Don't even think about buying any more, not even for a nanosecond.

And the brakes [not breaks!] will still cost just as much at a dealer.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Test drive them to 80 mph and see if the steering wheel shakes and the car runs true on the road.

If it does either, RUN AWAY.

If it does both, then RUN AWAY EVEN FASTER!

Don't even think about buying any more, not even for a nanosecond.
Why is that?

Is this a common problem that noone seems to have found the solution to?

Or is this just the start of a bigger problem that may not go away?

And the brakes [not breaks!] will still cost just as much at a dealer.[/QUOTE]

Not when you work at one =^)

On another note I can't believe I pulled the "breaks" thing. I am usually a closet grammar {insert politically incorrect term here}.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I'd say buy it, but you can buy the Q5 and Q7 for less. Possibly even the Porsche. They all have the 3.0 engine. I have a Q5 TDI and love it. The prices have dropped a lot so you can get a used 2014 with low miles in the low $30k range.

dvandentop

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I'd say buy it, but you can buy the Q5 and Q7 for less. Possibly even the Porsche. They all have the 3.0 engine. I have a Q5 TDI and love it. The prices have dropped a lot so you can get a used 2014 with low miles in the low $30k range.
What kinda mileage do you see on your q5 tdi?

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
How are you getting a similar Cayenne for the same price as a TDI LUX?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Just remember it is a yr old when you decide to buy it. I have a 12 and love the car. No issues so far. I will keep it after the fix,because there are no good alternatives, new.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
3.0 TDI's are very expensive to maintain. Engines are tough as they come but the electronics will put a hole in your pocket. My TDI's electronics started going bad one after the other after 170K miles. HPFP killed the fuel system at 113K miles. A friend who is a high level mechanic at a local dealer told me the next high dollar item on a Q7 with that many miles was going to be the timing chain, then glow plugs, then injectors. Traded it in for a worry free Camry.