Best diesel in Portland Oregon?

Stoneage

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I've read all diesel is the same in Portland provided by the same company. Is there a certain station that sells a lot of diesel and you can assume it's the freshest possible? Anyone use fuel additives in their MK3 tdi?

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
If I wanted the freshest diesel possible in the Portland area, I'd head over to the Shell in Linnton. Every time I've stopped there after work for B99, there is always someone filling up at the diesel pumps. Always. No semis, its not that kind of a station, but they must sell a lot to commercial drivers to bother listing the PUC price on the sign.

I never worried much with the Mercedes, and I'm not going to with the Jetta either. I just fill up at places near highways. There's few enough diesel stations out on the west side where I live, that I figure anything with easy access to a highway exit probably has sufficient volume for it to be fairly fresh.

I'm sure its all the same source diesel, maybe even the same source B5 blend, but each brand's additive packages are probably different, so there may actually be brand differences.

Stoneage

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Mk3 Jetta TDI
If I wanted the freshest diesel possible in the Portland area, I'd head over to the Shell in Linnton. Every time I've stopped there after work for B99, there is always someone filling up at the diesel pumps. Always. No semis, its not that kind of a station, but they must sell a lot to commercial drivers to bother listing the PUC price on the sign.

I never worried much with the Mercedes, and I'm not going to with the Jetta either. I just fill up at places near highways. There's few enough diesel stations out on the west side where I live, that I figure anything with easy access to a highway exit probably has sufficient volume for it to be fairly fresh.

I'm sure its all the same source diesel, maybe even the same source B5 blend, but each brand's additive packages are probably different, so there may actually be brand differences.
Ahh ok thanks for the information. I'm on the east side so I was thinking of the truck stop off of 84 I think it's called love? Lol not sure but they are a high volume truck stop. But I'm hesitant because they may just have bigger holding tanks which defeats the purpose. I'll have to talk to some stations and figure out when it gets delivered.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
My sister lives on the east side & I often fill up at the Fred Meyer on 82nd & Johnson Creek Rd. when I'm in the Portland area. There has always been someone buying diesel there, and my car has run just fine on the stuff. Their price has also been very competitive.

Stoneage

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Mk3 Jetta TDI
My sister lives on the east side & I often fill up at the Fred Meyer on 82nd & Johnson Creek Rd. when I'm in the Portland area. There has always been someone buying diesel there, and my car has run just fine on the stuff. Their price has also been very competitive.
Ok cool I'll have to go check them out I'm over at sportsmens fairly often

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I fill up at the Gresham Fred Meyers, normally the lowest price in the state and my filters in all my diesels are always perfectly clean when I cut them in half for inspection.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
As for the OP, I don't think all local diesel is from the same farm- I took 3 old glass salsa jars and filled them with diesel from 3 top stations and threw them in the freezer at -5F The most expensive station Gelled up (old?) and the lowest price stayed perfectly fluid. I did this back in August when all stations should have been pumping summer blend.