Who can recommend a reliable, safe and economical wagon for < $15,000?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My sister and I both drive TDI Jettas (04 and 00) and we both love them (even though mine seems to be constantly having issues). Now my mom is in need of a new car and is interested in the TDI Passat wagon (which was only available in 04/05). After some research, it seems like the TDI
Passat has many many issues and requires a lot of $$$ for maintenance. Not exactly what she was looking for. Can anyone recommend a safe, reliable wagon for less than $15,000 used?

MarylandJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I hate to say it,but for safe, reliable and economical at $15k, you wouldn't go wrong with a 2004-2009 Prius. My wife has one and believe me, you can carry a lot under the hatch on those things.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
...the '96~'97 Passat TDI wagon.
Mint condition examples are under $10k, so-so ones are $4k, I have less than $2k into my resurrected, one owner, very nice condition, purchase.
Better fuel economy, longer range, more space, simpler systems.
Chronic issues on the B4 are ea$y ones: ignition switch contacts, door handles, power window regulators.

Or, for $14,995, my B5.5 wagon. GLS, Wheat Beige ext., Anthracite leather int., wood trim, heated seats (big selling point in FL?), steering wheel controls for radio and cruise, geared and steel plugs done.

Last edited:

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Lug_Nut said:
...the '96~'97 Passat TDI wagon.
Mint condition examples are under $10k, so-so ones are $4k, I have less than $2k into my resurrected, one owner, very nice condition, purchase.
Better fuel economy, longer range, more space, simpler systems.
Chronic issues on the B4 are ea$y ones: ignition switch contacts, door handles, power window regulators.

Or, for $14,995, my B5.5 wagon. GLS, Wheat Beige ext., Anthracite leather int., wood trim, heated seats (big selling point in FL?), steering wheel controls for radio and cruise, geared and steel plugs done.
I am not sure what B4 and B5.5 translates to in years, but 96-97 is too dated for what I am looking for. I would say at minimun 2001 and up, but preferably 05 and newer. More info on the newer wagon you have?

1STGENFARMBOY

TDI
2003 tdi 5spd jetta
You could probably pick up an 06-07 subaru outback for 15'000 and i owned a 2000 and my next car for the wife will be another outback, cant beet them for cold weather another plus for florida and i had (0) problems till we sold it at 179'000 miles

Dar

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
gcmarx is selling a lovely Mk4 Jetta Wagon, superbly maintained, for a bit under your budget.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The subies only get around 22 mpg it looks like.....anything more efficient out there? Will look into gcmarx's car.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Keven said:
The subies only get around 22 mpg it looks like.....anything more efficient out there? Will look into gcmarx's car.
22 is really low, several people here at work have them and even the bigger v6 model gets above 25mpg on average. The Forester turbo 4cyl. that i drove for several weeks averaged just around 29mpg in mixed driving.

I would second the Hyundai for the best bang for your buck.

I would also look at the Volvo V50/V70 wagon, while they get some Ford bashing they still make a great wagon and hard to overlook in the wagon world of safe, reliable, stuff haulers.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Jetta Wagon TDI doesn't fit your needs?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Was looking for something a little bigger but after reading about the Passat it looks like the Jetta might be the way to go even though it has its issues too.